Top 5 playing cues

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Jerry Rauenzahn the one I got from deanoc
2. Jerry Rauenzahn the one I bought through deanoc the Balabushka Tributes
3. Jerry Rauenzahn the one I get this December another Balabushka Tributes "Dove"
4. Gus or Barry
5. Old (early days) Richard Black

islandboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I can't count very well, I'll post only three.

1) Mike Capone

2) Eddie Cohen

3) Bill McDaniel

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we are talking strictly "playing"...I would put the Becue up against just about any cue.

Everybody has different tastes, as far as "hit and feel", but I have never hit with a cue that hit any "better" than the Becue.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we are talking strictly "playing"...I would put the Becue up against just about any cue.

Everybody has different tastes, as far as "hit and feel", but I have never hit with a cue that hit any "better" than the Becue.

I've read alot about this becue would love 2 try one, I look around Derby City this year and didn't c any.

Also I read all 9 pages and only 4 people said Mike Johnson of Jensen Cues now I have own alot
of great cues from great makers but I know for a fact Mike has and does make some of the best
playing cues in the world.

You can ask countless road players about Mikes cues and I promise they'll say
he makes awesome players cue.

He's been turning shafts since 1969 there's some great shaft wood hanging in his shop.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I've read alot about this becue would love 2 try one, I look around Derby City this year and didn't c any.

Also I read all 9 pages and only 4 people said Mike Johnson of Jensen Cues now I have own alot
of great cues from great makers but I know for a fact Mike has and does make some of the best
playing cues in the world.

You can ask countless road players about Mikes cues and I promise they'll say
he makes awesome players cue.

He's been turning shafts since 1969 there's some great shaft wood hanging in his shop.

I like his cues too, unfortunately the work wasn't as tight as I was looking for - shoulda bought one anyway for the price. Mike and his wife are great people, spent a few hrs at his house when I working down there.
Jason

kempf80

Registered
Here's my 2 cents:

After some 15 years of play and owning various cues,; the best ones I've tried are:

1. Pechauer (12,75mm normal shaft)
2. Some Cuetec cue at a local bar which looks like a 2-piece. It has some coating that
makes it slide nicely and it hits good with an elk master tip. (price isn't everything).
3. Bear Cue (Bear Cues from Germany) with 13mm shaft.
4. Lucasi LD-2 (13mm tip elk master). Tried various laminates but they were crap.
5. McDermott Star Cue (bought from Thailand), 13mm tip. Plays good but makes a
clicking noise.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Best.....

Bert Schrager (I had one in the 80's!)
Gina (Never saw one I liked the looks of... too busy)
Tim Padgett (Best of Burt and Gina)
Kent Davis (Awesome Cues from the Barron of Burl)
Schon!!!!!!!! (All I play with now, Runde & Pre 93)
oh and Zamboni's are nice looking cues!

Attachments

• 20170607110333-953d5c18.jpg
    20170607110333-953d5c18.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 492
  • 20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    20170607110356-83dc4cd0.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 20170608101710-0f7cf992.jpg
    20170608101710-0f7cf992.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 20180205071149-06159df2-me.jpg
    20180205071149-06159df2-me.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 475
  • P1020930.jpg
    P1020930.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 464
Let’s see, five top playing cues:

1. TAD

2. Tad

3. TAd

4. TaD

5. Tad

I guess that I may be a little prejudiced. :D

Gerry

Agreed! Everyone that pics up and plays any of my TAD’s just goes wow! They immediately make an offer which islow ball. Not that I would sell them anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:
I don't think I could give a best hit list without trying to give the who do what they do best. I am partial to one style of hit, but I will give the ones I think do their style hit really well.

South West (solid hit)

Older Meucci (Very High action hit)

Tibbits stainless joint (straight pool players dream cue)

Hightower (Medium stiff higher action hit) I am very biased :smile:

Gilbert (Stiff firm hit)

Bludworth (Medium high action with low deflection)

Dieckman (Stiffer hit with wood thread joint)

Interesting choices.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it is due to the fact that Schrager and Padgett were both west coast makers that they dont get much mention, I had a Schrager built in the late 80's most likely built by Tim and several sneaky petes built by Tim and really never had anything else to compare them to. Well I take that back I bought a Joss and played with it for a while and when Tim saw me playing with it he said he would make me a cue, Time, money, and life interfered. Nut Bert is if I am correct in the hall of fame!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard
Andy Gilbert
Keith Josey"
Pechauer Pro-H Sneaky
McDermott D-1 ivory ferrule - Chandivert Champion tip

MalibuMike

Banned
Tim Padgett Protégé of Burt and Ernie of Gina)

Tim Padgett is the best elements of Burt Schrager and Ernie Gutierrez of GinaCue, or as I like to call them Burt & Ernie.
San Fernando Valley Cue Capital of the world!! (I had a Burt Schrager in the 80's!)
And Eddie Cohen Custom Cues is a new local up and comer!

And early Schon!!!!!!!! (All I play with now, Runde & Pre 93)

Agreed! Everyone that pics up and plays any of my TAD’s just goes wow! They immediately make an offer which islow ball. Not that I would sell them anyways.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Five 5 ** ** ** ** **

No Black Boar fans out there?????
I'd, also, throw Dennis Kepley (of NC) in the mix!
I don't know Barry Szambotti, but I did know his Dad. So, personal experience only:
Gus Szambotti
Black Boar
Tascarella
Rambo Hoppe Pro Custom
Scruggs (tim made a beautiful cue).

MalibuMike

Banned
Agreed! West Coast Cues! Tim Padgett Protégé of Burt and Ernie of Gina!

Maybe it is due to the fact that Schrager and Padgett were both west coast makers that they dont get much mention, I had a Schrager built in the late 80's most likely built by Tim and several sneaky petes built by Tim and really never had anything else to compare them to. Well I take that back I bought a Joss and played with it for a while and when Tim saw me playing with it he said he would make me a cue, Time, money, and life interfered. Nut Bert is if I am correct in the hall of fame!

Tim Padgett is the best elements of Burt Schrager and Ernie Gutierrez of GinaCue, or as I like to call them Burt & Ernie.
San Fernando Valley Cue Capital of the world!! (I had a Burt Schrager in the 80's!)
And Eddie Cohen Custom Cues is a new local up and comer!

Attachments

• 20150403_153645-1.jpg
    20150403_153645-1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 20160430_152213.jpg
    20160430_152213.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 535
  • 20150804_211601.jpg
    20150804_211601.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 527
  • 14.1 cue.jpg
    14.1 cue.jpg