My Playing Partner Is Always Trying To Pull A Move

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Looks like a bunch of stone cold hustlers to me

STONED... not.
Well not that I knew of.

COLD... oh hardly.
We were the 'most hated to play against' team.
We'd RAG on our own players and that gave us an advantage. After all it was a bar league, always noise so I got the guys used to it. Dennis needed no help in that dept. After 3 years Hutch opened up, shy he was.
DAMN!!! Them were fun times.
One time the cops showed up wondering why all the cars were parked roadside 1/8 mile down 2 streets. :grin-square:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy I play with on Sundays will try to pull every move in the book on you, if you give him a chance and don't pay attention.

He is one of the luckiest guys in the world and he also shoots pretty well...he is rated as an "A" player in the tournaments. Every time I try to get him to play call shot or call safe, he refuses to play that way. He'd rather play slop counts, so that is what we play.

Today, we were playing 10-ball and I was winning 2 or 3 games to his one for a couple hours. I got tired of playing that and suggested that we play one pocket, but he wouldn't play that because I beat him at it about 9 out of 10 games last week.

He suggested we play 8-ball, so I countered with "make it last pocket". We played several games and I think I was averaging about 2 games to his one when, all of a sudden, during one game he shot hard and lucked a ball in. After he made the ball, he realized he was hooked on his last object ball and he went to his chair and sat down. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "he made the ball in the wrong pocket...not the pocket he was meaning to make it in".

I told him that "slop counts" and he had taken every ball he had lucked in, up to that point, and he was insistent that it was my shot. I could have probably gotten out from where he left me, but I made him shoot and he missed his object ball and I had ball in hand and ran out.

I've never seen a guy who tries to pull as many moves on people as this guy does. He hangs out at the bowling alley and recreation centers during the week and gets his thrills beating up on the young guys and less experienced players. When he plays somebody who plays equal to, or better, than him, he starts his moves.

The only reason I play him is that he is the only "A" rated player that is in the pool hall on Sunday mornings when I play.

Do any of you guys play people who are always trying to put a "move" on you?
Pull some moves on him. Next Saturday, stay up late drinking beer and eating lots of boiled eggs, broccoli, and cabbage. Then go meet him Sunday morning and give him hell. (get a table in a corner away from everyone else)!

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rep sent

Do what makes you happy.
I am at the point in my life, where I don't care to deal with people, who act like that.
I have seen it all my life, and it is still as cheap and sleazy now, as it was the first time I ever saw it.
I try to surround myself with positive people, and I try to be positive for them.
I consider the old adage "You are what you eat"!
I also believe "you are, who you hang around with."
Negative people, seem to influence others, at a much higher rate than the reverse.
If anything, they consider a person who is trying to live a decent life, a sucker.
I have seen the atmosphere of a whole pool room full of people, instantly change, when someone who is a really negative influence just walks in the door.
The language becomes coarser, people start berating each other and sometimes if the guys personality is strong enough , they will all start emulating him , using the same euphemisms and body language.
No thanks.

Sad, but true.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Life is too short to play guys like that, I would rather play one-pocket - right hand vs left hand. I like to gamble high when I do that :D

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
The guy I play with on Sundays will try to pull every move in the book on you, if you give him a chance and don't pay attention.
. . . . .

Any update?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He is one of the luckiest guys in the world and he also shoots pretty well...he is rated as an "A" player in the tournaments. Every time I try to get him to play call shot or call safe, he refuses to play that way. He'd rather play slop counts, so that is what we play.

Today, we were playing 10-ball and I was winning 2 or 3 games to his one for a couple hours. I got tired of playing that and suggested that we play one pocket, but he wouldn't play that because I beat him at it about 9 out of 10 games last week.

He suggested we play 8-ball, so I countered with "make it last pocket". We played several games and I think I was averaging about 2 games to his one when, all of a sudden, during one game he shot hard and lucked a ball in. After he made the ball, he realized he was hooked on his last object ball and he went to his chair and sat down. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "he made the ball in the wrong pocket...not the pocket he was meaning to make it in".

I told him that "slop counts" and he had taken every ball he had lucked in, up to that point, and he was insistent that it was my shot. I could have probably gotten out from where he left me, but I made him shoot and he missed his object ball and I had ball in hand and ran out.

I've never seen a guy who tries to pull as many moves on people as this guy does. He hangs out at the bowling alley and recreation centers during the week and gets his thrills beating up on the young guys and less experienced players. When he plays somebody who plays equal to, or better, than him, he starts his moves.

The only reason I play him is that he is the only "A" rated player that is in the pool hall on Sunday mornings when I play.

No. I'm not 12 years old. That sort of thing gets shut down immediately with me. If it means I don't play with the guy so be it.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any update?

Him and I played again today and he didn't try anything outrageous.

We played 10-ball and I was hitting them pretty good and beat him about three games to his every one game. After several hours, we switched to last-pocket 8-ball for the last hour and I beat him 3 out of 4.

He keeps saying he has to "think too much" when we play other than rotation games. He can shoot at an A-level at rotation games, but his strategy and moves are not the greatest when you get him out of his element. I love playing "thinking" games with him because when you put the squeeze on him, he gets gun shy and it is easy to trap him.

His other problem is he is a "spinner". He doesn't have a very powerful stroke and you can leave him shots that he doesn't have the stroke to take advantage of. If you leave him a long straight in, he can't draw the cue ball table length. Once you leave him away from the rails and out of line, he can't "power" the ball with any kind of accuracy.

I like making him "work". It turns into circus shot after circus shot until he finally finally runs out of steam.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Him and I played again today and he didn't try anything outrageous.
. . .
I like making him "work". It turns into circus shot after circus shot until he finally finally runs out of steam.
Looks like you studied your opponents abilities and disabilities well and used them well. :thumbup:
I (sort of) trained my team back in the mid 90's (Pocketeers pix) and when I said "Let's give first place a try" we took 2nd, then next session 1st., otherwise we always ended in the middle of the pack. Once we proved our worthiness (hands up, bowing), we went our separate ways.

Later another team I mildly massaged were already fine players with different styles of play. We went on a 12 in a row #1's over 6 year span. In the 6 year span the league Op. moved us into tougher divisions but didn't matter. In that league we had 'one coach per game' rule and I helped our players now & then but their being already astute, needed little coaching. Oddly, I almost never got coached and I asked the team why. "We have no idea what you're doing out there". LOL, so if my players don't know what I'm doing, nor does my opponent. (MOO-HAHAhahaaaa) Of course it has backfired many times. EH, it's a game, my life's not depending on it. :cool:

I've always done this in any sporting venue I'm in. At any given day we all have our ups & downs. I watched the opponents pre-match warmed ups and informed my players before starting what to look for & leave.

"Pool is a puzzle of connecting the dots then making said dots disappear." fm

. . . . . . . :smile:

Last edited:

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play snooker against a guy that got off on this sort of thing and was good at it. I always wore a hat and would tilt my head in a way that all I could see was the table and the object ball. This was great practice for when I was actually in a match and someone sharked me. If the guy likes to stand behind the pocket when you are shooting set up a close shot and as my buddy would say jump the cue ball right into his nuts and I doubt he pulls it again.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit playing him.

Life is short, quit playing him and let him know why. It's one thing to match up against some one like that in a tournament or league play. It is on you if you choose to match up against him at other times.

Pool is supposed to be fun and guys like that take the fun out of it.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the guy i play with on sundays will try to pull every move in the book on you, if you give him a chance and don't pay attention.

He is one of the luckiest guys in the world and he also shoots pretty well...he is rated as an "a" player in the tournaments. Every time i try to get him to play call shot or call safe, he refuses to play that way. He'd rather play slop counts, so that is what we play.

Today, we were playing 10-ball and i was winning 2 or 3 games to his one for a couple hours. I got tired of playing that and suggested that we play one pocket, but he wouldn't play that because i beat him at it about 9 out of 10 games last week.

He suggested we play 8-ball, so i countered with "make it last pocket". We played several games and i think i was averaging about 2 games to his one when, all of a sudden, during one game he shot hard and lucked a ball in. After he made the ball, he realized he was hooked on his last object ball and he went to his chair and sat down. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "he made the ball in the wrong pocket...not the pocket he was meaning to make it in".

I told him that "slop counts" and he had taken every ball he had lucked in, up to that point, and he was insistent that it was my shot. I could have probably gotten out from where he left me, but i made him shoot and he missed his object ball and i had ball in hand and ran out.

The only reason i play him is that he is the only "a" rated player that is in the pool hall on sunday mornings when i play.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: