Cue pin material

rayray

I was wondering why some cue makers use a brass pin (Southwest Brick, etc) versus a stainless or plain steel pin. Plain brass pins are only like .2 oz heavier than stainless.

A plain brass pin will bend much easier than a stainless one if they are the same size, thread, length, etc. I think you can also buy a bronze pin which would probably be stronger than a stainless pin. Is bronze the material they use on high end custom cues?

Thanks in advance

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering why some cue makers use a brass pin (Southwest Brick, etc) versus a stainless or plain steel pin. Plain brass pins are only like .2 oz heavier than stainless.

A plain brass pin will bend much easier than a stainless one if they are the same size, thread, length, etc. I think you can also buy a bronze pin which would probably be stronger than a stainless pin. Is bronze the material they use on high end custom cues?

Thanks in advance

Some might just like the color. Some might make their own. The biggest reason is to add weight to the front over a stainless pin. .2 ounces is 10+% of the typical cue weight range, so it is a good option when needed.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you bend the brass screw, you better be happy it bent b/c if that were SS, you might crack the collar or forearm.
There is absolutely no reason why a 3/8 brass screw would bend during usage.

If you have to remove the brass screw, you would not need to blowtorch it .
You can cut it off then drill and bore it out .
Good luck in doing that to a SS screw.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I use brass and aluminum, both of which are considered weak metals in comparison to steel and titanium. I can't say I have yet to see one come back bent.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use woid pins on some of my cues

Never had one fail, yet. Why do i use them? I like the hit.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good discussion here. Titanium would be pretty light weight and strong. But I like what Joey had to say. I'd rather have to replace a bent pin than a fractured shaft. Worse would be damage that wasn't easily visible. I also wonder how hard it would be to bend a pin with a cue securely fastened. I'd think the joint collar properties would probably be pretty important there. In any event, the stress of bending a cue is going to go somewhere. If you protect a joint, it's just gonna put more stress on the rest of the shaft. Best is not to try and snap your cue. :)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I were to make a guess I would say it was just to to be different and Brass is easier to machine. So when you start making custom size pins like SW did I would suspect they machined some of them in house at first and it was the easier material to machine. I doubt the little bit of extra front weight was the main factor. But that is just a guess. I can even thread mill brass pins and inserts with a router.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
I use brass pins mostly for looks to go along with the brass rings I use in some cues, same with copper.