My Playing Partner Is Always Trying To Pull A Move

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy I play with on Sundays will try to pull every move in the book on you, if you give him a chance and don't pay attention.

He is one of the luckiest guys in the world and he also shoots pretty well...he is rated as an "A" player in the tournaments. Every time I try to get him to play call shot or call safe, he refuses to play that way. He'd rather play slop counts, so that is what we play.

Today, we were playing 10-ball and I was winning 2 or 3 games to his one for a couple hours. I got tired of playing that and suggested that we play one pocket, but he wouldn't play that because I beat him at it about 9 out of 10 games last week.

He suggested we play 8-ball, so I countered with "make it last pocket". We played several games and I think I was averaging about 2 games to his one when, all of a sudden, during one game he shot hard and lucked a ball in. After he made the ball, he realized he was hooked on his last object ball and he went to his chair and sat down. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "he made the ball in the wrong pocket...not the pocket he was meaning to make it in".

I told him that "slop counts" and he had taken every ball he had lucked in, up to that point, and he was insistent that it was my shot. I could have probably gotten out from where he left me, but I made him shoot and he missed his object ball and I had ball in hand and ran out.

I've never seen a guy who tries to pull as many moves on people as this guy does. He hangs out at the bowling alley and recreation centers during the week and gets his thrills beating up on the young guys and less experienced players. When he plays somebody who plays equal to, or better, than him, he starts his moves.

The only reason I play him is that he is the only "A" rated player that is in the pool hall on Sunday mornings when I play.

Do any of you guys play people who are always trying to put a "move" on you?

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sure, and if i like him i play. if i dont, i dont play him, or if i do its a game he isnt going to win at.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
99.99% of the time I get accused of luck, but since it's a Call Ball & Pocket, slops good, they can't really argue.
So my usual comeback is, "You're just good at getting lucky, but I'm good at being lucky." SLIGHT difference.

Maybe your partner has that uncanny(?) knack of leaving the cue in a spot where he has a shot & you don't if & when he misses. I use to play like that in the 90's.
But as you say he's got excuses, to me that makes him a poor overall player, one I wouldn't want in a partners match. Thinking back in the old days, confrontation usually went into fights, not my shtick. But I was usually the first one to pounce on top of both in the bar to stop it. Lucky(?) they always did. 6" 250# solid frame MIGHT of had something to do with it. (get off me, I can't breath, :D) OOPS, I digressed. When traveling to other bars for tourneys I'm not one to partner up with any confrontational player. I like to be accepted back next tourney on good terms.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99.99% of the time I get accused of luck, but since it's a Call Ball & Pocket, slops good, they can't really argue.

I prefer to play call ball, call pocket, and call safes for every game.

I also like to play you call the pocket for the next shot before you shoot the shot at hand. If you get out of line for the pocket you intended to shoot at, you must shoot at that pocket anyway or shoot a called safe...you can't shoot the ball into another pocket and continue your turn.

I like to have to work to get out and make my opponent do the same. The more concentration required, the better. If we just play "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am", I get bored too easily.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member

I also like to play you call the pocket for the next shot before you shoot the shot at hand. If you get out of line for the pocket you intended to shoot at, you must shoot at that pocket anyway or shoot a called safe...you can't shoot the ball into another pocket and continue your turn.

I like to have to work to get out and make my opponent do the same. The more concentration required, the better. If we just play "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am", I get bored too easily.

Understandable calling on next shot still must take it.
The mex around here looks like they have a pattern planned but it seems after EVERY shot their minds go overtime and a new pattern emerges 5 minutes later, sometimes longer. :shakehead:
A mere 15 games total, 7:30 start & sometimes finish around 11:30 :angry:!!!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Ive been working with a guy on my 3man Seniors 8ball VNEA team, trying to teach him how to control the game a little better, as well as the cueball.
30+ year typical bar player, makes balls but easy to beat.
All the players in the league pretty much have him figured out.
His ego is huge and he hates to lose, so while I'm shooting he moves around, shakes his leg, fumbles around in his pocket playing pocket pool or whatever, anything to shark me.
He even talks while I'm shooting on league night.
Over the years I've played several guys that make little moves, playing for fun.
One guy even wants weight with no money on the game, and he moves too.

Just moved into first place BTW
Back into playing after 6 years of illness, injuries, you name it

Screenshot_20180307-015838.jpg

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just FYI, call safes is not really a thing and I don't even think it's a good idea. I think 10ball is the only exemption.

After your story - why not do the consequent thing and stop playing with him? I would, as it's nagging you. But I have the feeling you are too lazy to quit him ;)

I have the joy of having excellent playing partners. We don't call balls/pockets too much as it's mostly implicit and we trust each other.
We applaud great balls, and we do Snooker replays on difficult shots (you learn a lot) and we call all fouls on ourselves.

Seems like you need to get one of these guys.

Cheers,
M

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI, call safes is not really a thing and I don't even think it's a good idea. I think 10ball is the only exemption.

After your story - why not do the consequent thing and stop playing with him? I would, as it's nagging you. But I have the feeling you are too lazy to quit him ;)

I have the joy of having excellent playing partners. We don't call balls/pockets too much as it's mostly implicit and we trust each other.
We applaud great balls, and we do Snooker replays on difficult shots (you learn a lot) and we call all fouls on ourselves.

Seems like you need to get one of these guys.

Cheers,
M

I only play once a week, on Sunday mornings. If I didn't play him, I'd probably have to play alone or with somebody who is about an APA-3. Not very many people in the pool hall on Sunday mornings.

I like to play "run out" players. I don't concentrate playing "bangers". The better my opponent plays, the better I play.

Calling shots, pockets, safes, etc. make you "commit".

If I have too many shots or options playing "down" to people, I get lazy.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the bigger issue you might want to reflect on - You're the one having all the problems of the situation you describe, yet you're the one that does not want to make any changes.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only play once a week, on Sunday mornings. If I didn't play him, I'd probably have to play alone or with somebody who is about an APA-3. Not very many people in the pool hall on Sunday mornings.

I like to play "run out" players. I don't concentrate playing "bangers". The better my opponent plays, the better I play.

Calling shots, pockets, safes, etc. make you "commit".

What's the wager?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I only play once a week, on Sunday mornings. ...
I like to play "run out" players. ...
As you know, those and more are part of the game.
I suggest to my players to work the problem and find a solution. Study what's going on, try different scenarios/options, commit all to memory. A future player will do the similar thing and you now have a plan.

Don't take this player as boring, he's special. Try problems back and watch his solutions, if any. It's a study of human psyche... no Freudian excuses, only solutions.

HOPE THIS HELPS :thumbup:

JUST seen post #9. I agree.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do what makes you happy.
I am at the point in my life, where I don't care to deal with people, who act like that.
I have seen it all my life, and it is still as cheap and sleazy now, as it was the first time I ever saw it.
I try to surround myself with positive people, and I try to be positive for them.
I consider the old adage "You are what you eat"!
I also believe "you are, who you hang around with."
Negative people, seem to influence others, at a much higher rate than the reverse.
If anything, they consider a person who is trying to live a decent life, a sucker.
I have seen the atmosphere of a whole pool room full of people, instantly change, when someone who is a really negative influence just walks in the door.
The language becomes coarser, people start berating each other and sometimes if the guys personality is strong enough , they will all start emulating him , using the same euphemisms and body language.
No thanks.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A very good friend of mine and I finally sort of got a divorce over his acting out which had really gotten out of hand.
I have to refer the rest of answer to the one right below this one. Life is too short to get locked up, in fights, in arguments etc over a frigging pool game.

Do what makes you happy.
I am at the point in my life, where I don't care to deal with people, who act like that.
I have seen it all my life, and it is still as cheap and sleazy now, as it was the first time I ever saw it.
I try to surround myself with positive people, and I try to be positive for them.
I consider the old adage "You are what you eat"!
I also believe "you are, who you hang around with."
Negative people, seem to influence others, at a much higher rate than the reverse.
If anything, they consider a person who is trying to live a decent life, a sucker.
I have seen the atmosphere of a whole pool room full of people, instantly change, when someone who is a really negative influence just walks in the door.
The language becomes coarser, people start berating each other and sometimes if the guys personality is strong enough , they will all start emulating him , using the same euphemisms and body language.
No thanks.

The guy I play with on Sundays will try to pull every move in the book on you, if you give him a chance and don't pay attention.

He is one of the luckiest guys in the world and he also shoots pretty well...he is rated as an "A" player in the tournaments. Every time I try to get him to play call shot or call safe, he refuses to play that way. He'd rather play slop counts, so that is what we play.

Today, we were playing 10-ball and I was winning 2 or 3 games to his one for a couple hours. I got tired of playing that and suggested that we play one pocket, but he wouldn't play that because I beat him at it about 9 out of 10 games last week.

He suggested we play 8-ball, so I countered with "make it last pocket". We played several games and I think I was averaging about 2 games to his one when, all of a sudden, during one game he shot hard and lucked a ball in. After he made the ball, he realized he was hooked on his last object ball and he went to his chair and sat down. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "he made the ball in the wrong pocket...not the pocket he was meaning to make it in".

I told him that "slop counts" and he had taken every ball he had lucked in, up to that point, and he was insistent that it was my shot. I could have probably gotten out from where he left me, but I made him shoot and he missed his object ball and I had ball in hand and ran out.

I've never seen a guy who tries to pull as many moves on people as this guy does. He hangs out at the bowling alley and recreation centers during the week and gets his thrills beating up on the young guys and less experienced players. When he plays somebody who plays equal to, or better, than him, he starts his moves.

The only reason I play him is that he is the only "A" rated player that is in the pool hall on Sunday mornings when I play.

Do any of you guys play people who are always trying to put a "move" on you?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
There is a guy in my town who no joke has more moves than Michael Jackson and Bobby Fischer combined...and when all else fails he'll fake a stroke at the table.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one guy I can think of that likes to do crap like that, pretend he forgets the rules, lets you know the game is done when he misses when you are shooting, stands up as you are shooting the last shot.

One time in a league, we play call 9, he made the 9 but did not call it, it was my shot and it spots up. Where the spot is the 9 was a dead combo with another ball. So he puts it about an inch from the spot LOL. I go to move it to the right place and his team was like "you can't move it!", so I tell him to. he moved it a 1/2 inch, still not at the spot.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
As far as league play is concerned and I've played in a ton of them, there has been a lot of sharking but actual moves are rare.
Once and a while a bar player, known cheater gets on a team, but not very often.
The team we play tonight you have to watch because they don't call their own fouls like everybody else does, and we have a guy who doesn't pay attention.
They complain a lot too which affects my game a little.
Last time we play them against me the guy shot a long bank too hard and it went two rails into the opposite corner.
He complained the entire night about that shot because it didn't look like it was going in but it did.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

If I know some one like you describe I won't play them. If they ask why I will gladly tell them. I will tell them their behavior is wrong, that their sportsmanship is lacking and in the old days they would be labeled a cheater as they are seeking unfair advantage.

Life is to short to spend time with some one like that, as they take some of the fun out of pool and pool is supposed to be fun, otherwise why play it?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member

[nearQuote]The opponent is always trying to make me miss with his antics.[endQuote]

You could TRY and beat us.

Attachments

• Pocketeers.JPG
    Pocketeers.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 256