conceding the last ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this subject has been rough up on here before but it seemed like it was always about a fairly easy shot....or not. Well I had a similar situation today in masters except it was about my opponent spotting the 9 after he made the 9 and scratched.

After he scratched I just marked down a win for me while he is as getting the balls out if the tray....or at less that's what I thought. He instead retrieved just the 9 and spotted it.

I laughed and said ...you want me to shoot it ? He said yea. So I retrieved the cue ball and was still chuckling to myself when I pocketed the 9. Now I realize anything can happen on any shot and truth be told I have missed shots before with bih but it was mostly because I was trying to get position.

I have known this guy for years and have played him countless times and even though he is a 7/7 and I am a 5/5 its anybodys game when we match up. Actually we were tied at the time he spotted the ball and I guess he was wanting to play mind games at this point.

Do you guys make it a habit of making your opponent shoot the money ball and hen he has bih ?

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on my mood and how good the player is. If its a weaker player I'd probably make them shoot that shot. Pressure makes people miss all the time. Skill levels 6 and up id like to think I wouldn't make them shoot that. I Will never give the 9-ball if its not ball in hand.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never conceed ever.The 1 in 50 miss can't happen if they don't shoot it.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he is 77 and you are 55 you oughta be able to tell him it's his shot. I played a guy 77 once on sunset strip. He was kookie, spent more time combing his hair then playing pool!

I told him he had to bank the 9 every time and he said no problem, said he had friend that was the best banker he ever saw. Guy named mr. Drysdale, said guy hung around a bunch of hill billys that used to eat off their pool table.

Had a broad with him (I think she was witch) every time he would line up a 3 rail bank on the nine she wiggled her nose and the damn ball went right in.

best shot I ever saw was either will sonnet or 1 of his sons- according to him- he and his son were always forced to shoot.

Unless the guy is a better shot then Matt Dillon I say make him shoot! Just like this post everything before the shot on the 9ball is BS.

I hope that helps

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never give anything. Even if the guy miss the shot 1% of the time.

Also, when I’m running a rack, I would hate having someone stoping me.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this subject has been rough up on here before but it seemed like it was always about a fairly easy shot....or not. Well I had a similar situation today in masters except it was about my opponent spotting the 9 after he made the 9 and scratched.

After he scratched I just marked down a win for me while he is as getting the balls out if the tray....or at less that's what I thought. He instead retrieved just the 9 and spotted it.

I laughed and said ...you want me to shoot it ? He said yea. So I retrieved the cue ball and was still chuckling to myself when I pocketed the 9. Now I realize anything can happen on any shot and truth be told I have missed shots before with bih but it was mostly because I was trying to get position.

I have known this guy for years and have played him countless times and even though he is a 7/7 and I am a 5/5 its anybodys game when we match up. Actually we were tied at the time he spotted the ball and I guess he was wanting to play mind games at this point.

Do you guys make it a habit of making your opponent shoot the money ball and hen he has bih ?

It's more than likely a waste of time but anyone can screw up, maybe it's a 1-20 chance but it could happen. I don't normally give last ball.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in practice.....

I don't make them shoot it. League, depends on player. Money, they have to make the ball!!!!! Doc

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, personally for me, conceding balls feels slimey.

Especially if they've made a good run of it, I don't want to take away their satisfaction of making the money ball.

Conceding a ball almost feels like pretending you're doing them a favour and should get some sort of credit or at least soothe your ego by believing you're a good person.

It's giving you some sense of value, even when you're on the losing end. They beat you (at least for that game), and you shouldn't be trying to steal their glory by pretending you helped.

Now if they miscue on the money ball and you still give them the game...maybe.

It's in the same vein of people who say...aww shucks, I hate winning like that. You hate it, but you're still going to take the win, so you obviously don't hate it that much.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You typed in my answer ~ 3rd paragraph, last sentence!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You don’t have to treat this as a black and white scenario. It’s ok to make them shoot it sometimes, and sometimes it’s ok to give it to them. Up to you to decide each time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it depends on skill level. Really can't make a 'what would you do' statement, without some knowledge of the skill level of the shooter.

I am not missing 1 in 20, or 1 in 50, or even 1 in 100...and I suck at pool, compared to a lotta players.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of tournaments have a rule that you can't concede the last ball. The funny thing is that so many people don't make people shoot the last ball, a lot of players think if you scratch on the 9 it's a loss LOL

I had someone with the 8 ball hanging in a pocket, he decided to smash it, and drew it across to the other side pocket for a loss.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 and above... I don't make them shoot it. I have had some low ranked league players who have missed ball in hand on the 9. So it just depends on their level. I would have been shocked that guy made you shoot it Lorider.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I’m forced to shoot it, that’s because it is up to my opponent. It is their prerogative and I just flow with it. I just remember. I don’t give shots to those that don’t give me shots. Otherwise I play it by ear. Sometimes I will give a gimmie because it’s one less shot keeping their arm loose and that much sooner I get out of the chair. But I won’t do that in team play, hill-hill, for big money, or if I just feel like making him shoot it for whatever whim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends, depends, depends. The best player in the world can miss a sitter under pressure or if there is zero pressure and nonchalance kicks in. A weak player who has played his or her heart out and got to said situation deserves to be given the money ball. That's me but each to their own.

Responding to the OP, just shut up and shoot it. He may or may not be playing mind games, but bottom line is you have to pot the 9 to win. It's unsporting to even suggest that you shouldn't have to shoot it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends, depends, depends. The best player in the world can miss a sitter under pressure or if there is zero pressure and nonchalance kicks in. A weak player who has played his or her heart out and got to said situation deserves to be given the money ball. That's me but each to their own.

Responding to the OP, just shut up and shoot it. He may or may not be playing mind games, but bottom line is you have to pot the 9 to win. It's unsporting to even suggest that you shouldn't have to shoot it.

Tap tap tap

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Everybody is different. We have players in our weekly tournaments that won't give anything, even a BIH on the 9-ball to a good player. If they don't make a move to concede it to you, don't expect it, and just go ahead and shoot it. Most players will concede it, but they have the right to make you shoot it if they choose to. It does seem silly, but I try not to let it bother me.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
A 7/7 scratched with the money ball lone on the table??? Whodathunkit?

Hell no, I won't concede. Where's the friggin' fire?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
25 years ago I watched a well-known pro player (who I won't name but you've heard of) line up a straight-in 1-foot gimme on the 9-ball and scoop the CB over the OB into the pocket to lose the match.

I still don't make opponents shoot the 9 if it's easy. I just don't care that much if I win or lose - for me it's about whether or not I play up to my potential. Maybe if I gambled more...

pj
chgo

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was funny

I was at the pool room a while back hitting some balls on the
9 ft. and the leagues were playing on the bar tables right behind me.
This guy scratches on the 9 and the opponents team mates start hollering
and high fiveing each other. The who scratched spots the 9 . When the
opponent sees this he says you WANT me to shoot it ? So he starts to
make a big show, walking around looking at it from all angles, getting
down and back up, chalking his cue 10 times while his team mates whooped
and hollered. He gets down for the tenth time looking at his team
grinning like a opossum eating s--- ,and fouls the cue ball . The other guy
says you want me to shoot it. It was great. I always concede the last
ball if easy because the way I figure it , the guy has been in his chair so long
waiting his turn , he's cold and I don't want to give him any chance to
get in stroke,. RIGHT DEANCO ?
jack