For those with more than one player...

Ravenbrook

Registered
I'm not asking the guys who collect cues just to have them and maybe shoot with them every once in a while. But for those of you that have more than one player, why do you?
I have a Rick Howard Sneaky that is my bar cue that I take on league nights. I have a Mezz Axi (that will be for sale very soon) that I keep around in case the RH disappears and of course a break stick, actually another Mezz. I have a Chris Nitti custom on order, should be here by the beginning of summer according to Chris and that will be my regular player. Just how many reasons can you justify to use a different stick, not counting 3-Cushion or Snooker, just sticking to 8 & 9 ball.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my general playing cue. My oldd Joss

But I do have a break cue, a jump cue, and a masse cue. Pechauer, Joss, Jacoby.

I have a cue I prefer for straight pool and 8 ball. My old Joss.

I have a cue I prefer for one pocket. Paul Dayton.

And I have a cue I prefer for 9 ball. Huebler.

Why? Just preferences. I don't feel the need to justify it, even to my wife...I don't justify the rest of the collection either. It's just a matter of what I like for a variety of reasons...some that might be trivial, some that might be more real.

But if it had to be one, it would be the Joss.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was younger and only played bar leagues... oh wait, I still only play bar leagues. But I digress.

I was going to play at a bar that had the big, fat cueball on an 8’ table, so for one reason or another, I had it that my precious Meucci shafts would get all damaged if I used such a high end cue. So I brought my Cobra cue (the cheap Asian one), a heavier and totally crappy cue with whatever tip, nylon wrap, and some nameless Asian wood underneath. I only know the wood was strange because I took that wrap off.

Anyhoo, I played the “best APA 7” in the area that night, and absolutely dusted him. If memory serves, it was 5-0 in 3. The cue ball and table just fit. So, if I knew I was going to play on a table with a mud ball or oversized cueball, I took the Cobra out.

That’s my story of having two players. BTW, my deduction was totally wrong. That magic was never repeated. Soon after, I took the nylon wrap off, intending to replace with Irish linen. That cue sits in my collector case today, 20 years later. No wrap.

Freddie <~~~ sometimes, it’s the Indian

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I'm not asking the guys who collect cues just to have them and maybe shoot with them every once in a while. But for those of you that have more than one player, why do you?
I have a Rick Howard Sneaky that is my bar cue that I take on league nights. I have a Mezz Axi (that will be for sale very soon) that I keep around in case the RH disappears and of course a break stick, actually another Mezz. I have a Chris Nitti custom on order, should be here by the beginning of summer according to Chris and that will be my regular player. Just how many reasons can you justify to use a different stick, not counting 3-Cushion or Snooker, just sticking to 8 & 9 ball.

Several years ago, Southwest Airlines "lost" my cues between Vegas and Buffalo. Purchased a Carmeli plain jane just for Vegas and leave it at the house in Vegas. Had almost every parameter changed from my daily use Schon. Different tip, ferrule, length, joint pin and joint material. The only things not changed were the weight and balance point. Wound up liking the Carmeli as much as the Schon. Tried to explain to Ariel my feelings about the new cue. Think he felt insulted! It is a great cue and I use it every day when I'm in Vegas. Kudos to Ariel for making such great playing cues. Specially considering mine was "value" priced!

Lyn

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think that every player who owns multiple cues has that ONE cue that they would "go to" for a very serious match, just like most pistol shooters have a favorite "carry" pistol, just like pro baseball players usually have "go to" glove and bat, just like golfers with multiple golf clubs, tennis players, etc. Anyone who has been involved in a sport to a high degree understands that fact. Also, some people just ENJOY the nuances, workmanship, and design of cues in general and collect as a hobby as well - hobbies are good for the soul in many ways if handled properly both mentally and financially.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two and they play almost identical. Both Rundes from 2015. First one I got is a plain linen wrapped 4 pointer that I custom ordered. It’s my first ever custom ordered cue and I absolutely love it and will never sell it. That was my main player. Then, a few months back, found someone selling the fancier twin of my cue. Built in the same year, same exact veneer setup on the point, but with veneer boxes in the butt sleeve, inlays, and a leather wrap. I couldn’t pass it up and I’d been thinking it’d be nice to have a second cue just in case (in case of what exactly I’m not sure). So I picked it up and it’s become my player. I like the leather wrap it turns out, a lot. Had tried a smooth leather wrap before and wasn’t a fan, but this is a nice pebble texture and it’s great.

I carry both in my case. They can share shafts which is nice, so I have 4 playing shafts with me and a 5th stashed back at home.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have cues made by friends and God forbid one of then sees me playing with the other's.

Shhhhh.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One main player and one I leave an older player out that I put a long extension on because I would rather not use the mechanical bridge if I don't have to. So 99% of my my shots are played with my custom Joss. I don't even use my break cue anymore.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All

I have several playing cues, the one that is my main player is a Bill McDaniel. I will occasionally go to my Tascarella or Black Boar just for a change of pace.
I find when I get into a slump by changing cues it helps get me out of the slump. I think it is also good to have a back up cue you feel comfortable with in case something does happen to the main player.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two and they play almost identical. Both Rundes from 2015. First one I got is a plain linen wrapped 4 pointer that I custom ordered. It’s my first ever custom ordered cue and I absolutely love it and will never sell it. That was my main player. Then, a few months back, found someone selling the fancier twin of my cue. Built in the same year, same exact veneer setup on the point, but with veneer boxes in the butt sleeve, inlays, and a leather wrap. I couldn’t pass it up and I’d been thinking it’d be nice to have a second cue just in case (in case of what exactly I’m not sure). So I picked it up and it’s become my player. I like the leather wrap it turns out, a lot. Had tried a smooth leather wrap before and wasn’t a fan, but this is a nice pebble texture and it’s great.

I carry both in my case. They can share shafts which is nice, so I have 4 playing shafts with me and a 5th stashed back at home.
"In case" of what you ask?. If, God forbid, someone steals your case, then you only have the shaft. You could always get a Schmelke butt with the same joint pin I reckon!

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two players, a James White and Tascarella. Both cues play great and depending how I feel on any given day, I use one or the other. No real reasons other than where I play league has wood floors and the White has a bumper.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 of them

I have an older plain Meucci sneaky and two Diveney players. I almost always use one of the Diveney cues as Pat built them and three shafts for me and they all fit together.

I take the old Meucci out to the local dive some times for a tournament and it plays good for me with the old Back Dot shaft and is still straight.

I am probably done buying cues do to my age and other interests. My hick Alaskan town is not much for pool.

There is a small bar league with "fake rules" and lousy unkempt tables. For some bizarre reason the locals seem to like it that way and resist any change to "real pool" rules. Most of them can't shoot worth a hoot and ain't changing. But, they like "their pool" and seem to have fun.

I spend more money on my other hobbies, such as guns, optics, hunting, fishing and other Alaskan activities.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an older plain Meucci sneaky and two Diveney players. I almost always use one of the Diveney cues as Pat built them and three shafts for me and they all fit together.

I take the old Meucci out to the local dive some times for a tournament and it plays good for me with the old Back Dot shaft and is still straight.

I am probably done buying cues do to my age and other interests. My hick Alaskan town is not much for pool.

There is a small bar league with "fake rules" and lousy unkempt tables. For some bizarre reason the locals seem to like it that way and resist any change to "real pool" rules. Most of them can't shoot worth a hoot and ain't changing. But, they like "their pool" and seem to have fun.

I spend more money on my other hobbies, such as guns, optics, hunting, fishing and other Alaskan activities.

As an aside. How close is the nearest poolroom?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

You made a pretty good summary. Lett'me know if you ever decide to sell the RH cue...

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I have several reasons for multiple playing cues.

Most often I switch because the tip needs replacing and I don't get around to it all that quickly.

Sometimes I will change cues when I think my game is a bit off ... I try a couple of different cues and pick the one that makes balls :thumbup: ... it works for a while.

When I go play at a friends garage I take a lower end cue so I won't cry if it gets knocked over.

The rotation over the last few years has been Lambros / Mark Bear / Blackcreek / Tucker / Mark Bear (with a new tip:grin:). I take a Schmelke to the garage.

Dave

PS Not that is was directly asked, but the two shafts on my Lambros are a bit different, one screws in well in the dry winters while the other fits best in the more humid summers.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your Rick Howard plays any thing like my Howard, you have a helluva cue. And yes $TAKE HOR$E, I'll keep you in mind IF I ever decide to sell. (doubtful) !!!

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mostly an issue of where I am going to play.... nicer places I take the higher end favorite of the day.
Bars, tend to see the same old beat up ob I have dragged around for years.
(But I DO have the same mezz shaft on each&#55357;&#56841;)