OCD and SW Cues Question

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
it's not a perfect world

it's not a perfect world

I've been accused before of looking at my lawn which many have commented on as being beautiful and yet all I see is that one effing weed; it drives me nuts, I want it gone.

but there's always something else...

someone must have an answer that will make sense of this for me:

Why is it on SW cues that 3rd ring up from the bottom is not aligned with the two below it (assuming the cue has rings in all these positions)?

Surely there has to be some construction advantage to this being done, right?

They're not doing this just to mess with me, are they? :angry: :shocked: :sad: :shrug: :poke: :help:

your input is greatly appreciated - not restricted only to the cue. :D

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Most guys would love to be at the top of Southwest's list!

agreed and I'm a long way off wishing I was closer, myself.

dont get me wrong, I love SW cues, have a few, all keepers.

but why is that freaking ring not aligned?

there has to be a reason...

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
They are aligned, just not as you would expect them to be. The Joint and Bottom rings align with each other while the rings Above and Below the wrap are aligned with each other.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Hi Brian,

I'll be in Vegas in early December. Usually always run into my friend Al Lawrence. Pretty sure he can answer your question. I've tried on many occasions to purchase his personal SW as it is wrapless and a design I love. I'm still without a SW so you know his consistent answer :sad: .

Lyn

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's not a perfect world

it's not a perfect world

I've been accused before of looking at my lawn which many have commented on as being beautiful and yet all I see is that one effing weed; it drives me nuts, I want it gone.

but there's always something else...

someone must have an answer that will make sense of this for me:

Why is it on SW cues that 3rd ring up from the bottom is not aligned with the two below it (assuming the cue has rings in all these positions)?

Surely there has to be some construction advantage to this being done, right?

They're not doing this just to mess with me, are they? :angry: :shocked: :sad: :shrug: :poke: :help:

your input is greatly appreciated - not restricted only to the cue. :D

best,
brian kc
Hey Kickin' I sent you a PM as it will be easier to answer the question in conversation than it would be on a forum. The short answer is yes there is a method to the madness, and it isn't just to mess with you. The bottom 2 rings line up, and the top 3 line up as well. I believe it's a 90 degree offset, but it's the exact same on every SW. If you think about it, while it wasn't a problem when SW first started coming out, it's a detail that allows you to distinguish a lot of the copy cats from the real thing.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Great.

First, this is now pointed out to the rest of us with OCD, no small number., who have never owned or even played a SW cue.

And now it is being explained in a private conversation.

Why, oh why did I open this thread? Hello, Doc. Can you fit me in for a weekend visit?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your clue, Brian, is in the product....South West implies an oblique angle.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great.

First, this is now pointed out to the rest of us with OCD, no small number., who have never owned or even played a SW cue.

And now it is being explained in a private conversation.

Why, oh why did I open this thread? Hello, Doc. Can you fit me in for a weekend visit?
Sorry Jimmyco, it's force of habit from fb conversations. I edited my post to put an explanation in short on the page.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Sorry Jimmyco, it's force of habit from fb conversations. I edited my post to put an explanation in short on the page.

Ah, many thanks.

I will invest the $275/50 minutes you saved me in couch time into table time.

:thumbup2:

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahaha, I wish I could invest in table time today. Sinuses are my enemy and I feel like I'm underwater every time I bend over. Doesn't mix well with shooting.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Add another interesting ? why is the shaft longer than the butt? 29 1/4 x 28 3/4.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That one I'm not sure about. If I had to guess it's probably just a proprietary thing, and gives a "slightly" different balance point to the cue. That is a question for much smarter people than myself though.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss understanding

I have had tons of cues over the years probably over 200.

After spending time with older cue makers, they built cues that were a tool to play a game. What has happened over the last 10 years or so, is cues have became pieces of art, verses a tool to play a game.

Years ago, they didnt line up blocks, rings, etc.

With Southwest cues having a 10+ year wait, on basically a simple production cue, it doesnt seem to affected customers.

Ken

JC

Coos Cues
The funky construction points are the punch line to the ten year wait.

Like the old football saying, we may be small but we make up for it by being slow.

JC