Ferrule Cleaning question

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local player asked me to put a tip on his 314-2 shaft. When I cleaned all the chalk away I found these marks. You can't feel them and a lite sanding did not remove them. Any suggestions or do I just leave it as is?

IMG_0222.jpg

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
A local player asked me to put a tip on his 314-2 shaft. When I cleaned all the chalk away I found these marks. You can't feel them and a lite sanding did not remove them. Any suggestions or do I just leave it as is?

View attachment 475923

When they are perfect circles like that, it is usually scratches from some type of shaper with maybe a key ring attached. Really doubt it is cracked, they usually crack the opposite direction, from tip to shaft.
Is the customer the original owner? If so, consult with him as to replacing the ferrule, then you can send it to predator and the warrantee will still be in effect. If he isn't and the scratches don't bother him, leave it as is and do the tip install. If they do bother him, try cleaning the dirt out of them some more, with magic eraser and denatured alcohol then seal the ferrule.
Dave

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. If he is the original owner would he have had to register the shaft for them to cover it?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Just want to explain, My main reason for posting was, not that this issue will be covered, but to point out that the moment a NON approved repair guy/gal replaces the ferrule, it will void the warrantee for any future failure of the shaft. BUT by them or an approved repair guy/gal doing the repair at cost to the customer, any future issue that would be covered...will be.
Here is their info on claims from their site....
Claim Procedures. Claims for warranty performance and service shall be made by sending the product, with shipping and insurance prepaid by the purchaser, to Predator Group, Warranty & Repairs, 702 East Chicago Road, Coldwater, MI 49036 together with (a) evidence of original purchase and (b) a completed “Repair/Return Form.” International customers should ship products to the place of purchase or directly to Predator at the above address.

Upon receipt, Predator will review the description of the asserted defect, examine the product and make repairs and replacements as appropriate under this Limited Lifetime Warranty. Upon completion of the service, Predator shall return the product to the original purchaser, with shipping and insurance prepaid by Predator. If it is determined that the asserted defect is not covered under the Limited Lifetime Warranty, the original purchaser will be contacted and offered a repair service if applicable, or the product will be returned.

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 475923

A hollowed out cube of chalk and poor chalking procedure can cause these type
Of marks on the furrule. Chalk is abrasive.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are odd marks/scratches? Doesn’t look like a tip tool nor Chalk would cause that. Tip tool gouges are...gouges and evident. Chalk wear isn’t usually so fine? Idk can’t imagine a ferrule could crack like that, even if it is from predator

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have seen many like this, and none (so far ) were cracks...all were very fine scratches that chalk dust and dirt got into and can be a ***** to get clean, but once it is, seal it with CA, sand lightly and polish/buff, and they go away. Most of the customers used either a chalk holder with a chain, or used a shaper that was on a keychain type of deal, so my opinion would be those pieces would be the culprit, and due to the chalking, most of the scratches don't show until you clean the ferrule.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That deep line, near the top, that is pretty much right where the tennon on a 314 /2 shaft ends, I`ve seen quite a few ferrule break at that exact spot.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That deep line, near the top, that is pretty much right where the tennon on a 314 /2 shaft ends, I`ve seen quite a few ferrule break at that exact spot.

As much as I loved these in the mid 90's, they can be a "usual suspect" of those scratches when using the burnisher. Or it could be that they...or someone else used a very aggressive grit of sandpaper at some point. I'm usually the one who says something like "First...you shape a tip...not the ferrule. Second....did you use a block planer to do it?"

picture.php

Last edited: