new cue

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
ok ... gonna (going to) order a custom Schmelke SP Monday. Now it's time to pick a custom cue maker for something ... 1k or under. I'm thinking:
1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

Granted that under 1k it's not going to be very fancy. Still - I trust the collective wisdom of AZB. At my age I can't wait years .. so ...

what's the best bang for a buck?

edit: I'm interested in how it plays more than looks. I prefer a softer hit.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
ok ... gonna (going to) order a custom Schmelke SP Monday. Now it's time to pick a custom cue maker for something ... 1k or under. I'm thinking:
1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

Granted that under 1k it's not going to be very fancy. Still - I trust the collective wisdom of AZB. At my age I can't wait years .. so ...

Strongly advise you buy a used cue. Tons more bang for the buck, and there are lots of great players out there for $500, let alone a grand.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take Frey off the list. Call his shop and the answering machine says he won’t be taking any custom orders anymore. He’ll build what he wants and sell them to the public.

Unfortunately, I doubt you’ll get a diveney for under 1k unless you want a sneaky or butterfly sneaky. Good cues nonetheless.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most bang for the buck might just be a Gilbert jump/break cue. I have yet to pick one up that did not play great. Probably the most versatile cue out there for well under a grand. Just find one that does not have a break specific tip like phenolic.

Another option would be Schon cues. You see them all of the time selling for 500-800 with two decent shafts. Of course, I am talking about a used one in nice condition. Search here and Ebay to see what I am talking about.

Phillippi builds nice cues for around a grand. You find them used at bargain prices.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
The most bang for the buck might just be a Gilbert jump/break cue. I have yet to pick one up that did not play great. Probably the most versatile cue out there for well under a grand. Just find one that does not have a break specific tip like phenolic.

Another option would be Schon cues. You see them all of the time selling for 500-800 with two decent shafts. Of course, I am talking about a used one in nice condition. Search here and Ebay to see what I am talking about.

Phillippi builds nice cues for around a grand. You find them used at bargain prices.

I have a nice Schon ... not all that impressed.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
NITTI ALL DAY LONG....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
i have 3
chris is great to work with

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

Find a used Sugartree!!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bcm....................

1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

Bryan Mordt, BCM cues. He lists them when completed. He's doing a assrt. now. Contact him via website or his FB page. GREAT cues at really good prices.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^ What he said about Andy Gilbert J/B, or, of your choices, Keith Josey!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote used.

Look, I know if you are really ready to have a cue made then a used cue will not fill that need.

But I absolutely hate the idea of having a price cap on such a project as a primary criteria and then selecting the who and what of it..

You want a cue made? Get with your cue maker of choice. Design it. Decide how much of it you are leaving up to him. Then pull the trigger. Notice in there I did not give a dollar figure. You know the price range of your cue maker. If you want a Corvette go to a Chevy dealer, if you want a Ferrari, go to a Ferrari dealer. You know what you can afford so you know who to go to.

I would talk to a cue maker or two or three, without jerking them around or wasting their time.

You will get a lot of good suggestions here, but I don't think that's the way to go.

We are talking artists and craftsmen here. Who it is should matter first IMHO. That is, if you are really in it for a "custom".

If the one you want is out of the price range consider saving up.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Contact either Martin (jazznpool), or Ted (cuesblues) here at AZB. Either one of these class gentlemen should be able to help you with a fine cue, and fantastic service.
Good luck.
Joe P

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue under 1K

Contact Gary Medlin at Gem Cues, winners07 here on AZ, and he can provide you what you need. He is also on Facebook. One man shop, the old fashioned way. My cue maker since 1992.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

I'm planning on calling Nitti this coming summer and see if he'll do the cue I have in mind.
Honestly, all 4 guys on your list are just about the first 4 guys I would think of, too.
I currently have an Olney and he is up there too as far as bang for your buck

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the makers you mentioned,
I feel like Josey would have the most naturally
soft good feel to the hit. I've been able to shoot
with a few Josey's and they had a nice tone
and natural feeling hit. They have that Samsara feel.
Those are really the only cue I could compare it to, that
consistently has a soft but lively feel.
It's a firm hit without the ping.
Or, just explain that you want a softer hitting cue,
and I'm sure any of your mentioned cue makers
can accommodate.
I'll look forward to seeing what decision you made,
and the review.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would add Steve Lomax to your list. He does what he says when he says and you can get a cue for under 1K, won't be the fanciest cue ever made but it will sure be a good one.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact either Martin (jazznpool), or Ted (cuesblues) here at AZB. Either one of these class gentlemen should be able to help you with a fine cue, and fantastic service.
Good luck.
Joe P

Cuesblues has a couple of cues I'd take a look at , Ned Morris and Cory Barnhart , nice Merry Widows players sure to be great playing cues at a good price