idea for helping new comers to caroms

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Was brought up to me by a work friend as we played on my table

He suggested you could get more points by how many rails you hit before the last ball

A modified straight rail sort of

You can score straight, or get an extra point per rail
Because newbies are going to take a long time before they can begin to hold the balls together and keep them, or even gather

Something to not discourage New comers and encourage and engage thinking about cushion caroms,

I didn't hate the idea

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting idea really.

Could even be combined with the new 5-ball game, or for those who can't afford the 5-ball set could be used on its own.

I like it.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hitting more cushions = it's even more complicated for newcomers to pull off!

I still thing that the 5 ball game really is the best game for newcomers.

It has more balls to hit, you can try safeties (hide the combination the other player needs to hit) and you can also do handicaps (51 versus 71 points needed for the better player).

Also the fact that you will strictly play alternate turns also very motivating! This should be incorporated in any newcomer games.

@HomeBrewer: "New" 5 ball is not :wink:

Cheers,
M

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@HomeBrewer: "New" 5 ball is not :wink:

Cheers,
M

How far back does it go? I've done some reading out of curiosity and see references from a couple years ago, and am quoting Paul Frankel in saying 'new'.

Would be glad to hear more.

ProfessorQBall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be introducing the game of 5-Ball at the SBE and i will try my best to capture some video of them playing. Two teams so 2 players on a team. Alternating shots this way the better players can run balls and score lots of points. This is just the beginning to see if the players enjoy it. I will also try my best to get the young players 16 and under to play. All this start on Thursday till Sunday