Is Southwest the best?

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Too humid overseas mainly in Asia where many are. Wet hands get on the wrap with consistent play, which intern causes problems at the A joint.
I know mine are All Straight & All Original with only the South West Shop working on them for ANY REPAIR including tips.

Another problem is believe it or not, some people do not store their cues well. They should be wiped down after every use. Then put in a competent case, and stood up straight in a climate controlled room or safe!

Hope this sheds some light.
Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not even anywhere close to the best by any standard, good investments though

top pros used to think Meuccis were the best at one time

things change and the industry has evolved

dhanboy88

very interesting topic.

my cousin play with jerry franklin SW. assuming early date SW (didn't know much about SW)
had practice with it for good few hours.

i like the hit but did not quite like the balance.
kinda on heavy side for my liking.

i love the look of the cue very much as if i can find the rite balance.
i will definitely buy one for my player.

i have been shooting with carmeli best hitting cue for now.

what is the different Jerry franklin SW and SW cue made newer?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Franklin era refers to cue made when Jerry Franklin was alive and ran the SW shop (1995). Not sure when SW started adding the catcus and year engraved on the pin, but anything after 1996 was made after his death. A SW cue without the pin, once authenticated, was made in the Frankin era.

very interesting topic.

my cousin play with jerry franklin SW. assuming early date SW (didn't know much about SW)
had practice with it for good few hours.

i like the hit but did not quite like the balance.
kinda on heavy side for my liking.

i love the look of the cue very much as if i can find the rite balance.
i will definitely buy one for my player.

i have been shooting with carmeli best hitting cue for now.

what is the different Jerry franklin SW and SW cue made newer?

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested in hearing from the "best" crowd why they are OK with seemingly a very large portion of the cues having warped butts. It seems so common that I see many sale posts that they actually mention it as an aside "oh it does have the slight butt warp". I have to say it would be a pretty big deal to me.

I own two Southwests. One is 16 years old, ebony with birdseye maple points. No warps and no special care taken.

My newer one that I'm currently playing with is 3 years old, cocobolo with tulip wood points. Again, no warps.

My theory is that the cues are made in Las Vegas where it's pretty arid. I live in Denver where it's also pretty dry. I'm guessing most of the warp issues are coming from high humidity regions. Moisture will find it's way into wood.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Franklin era refers to cue made when Jerry Franklin was alive and ran the SW shop (1995). Not sure when SW started adding the catcus and year engraved on the pin, but anything after 1996 was made after his death. A SW cue without the pin, once authenticated, was made in the Frankin era.

[/B]

Correct, but Laurie is a "Franklin" too, so maybe you guys that care about that sort of thing should start calling them "Jerry's".

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
hearsay story about warpage. A SW was sold overseas, the owner wasn't happy it appeared warped. It got re-sold, ended back in the states and the new owner took it to get it re-faced. Cue repair guy couldn't find the warp, sure enough it was gone.

I own two Southwests. One is 16 years old, ebony with birdseye maple points. No warps and no special care taken.

My newer one that I'm currently playing with is 3 years old, cocobolo with tulip wood points. Again, no warps.

My theory is that the cues are made in Las Vegas where it's pretty arid. I live in Denver where it's also pretty dry. I'm guessing most of the warp issues are coming from high humidity regions. Moisture will find it's way into wood.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I don't have a LOT of input, as they're not something I'm interested in:
I only knew/know one guy with a SW - he let me shoot a rack ... and it just wasn't all that special to me really. Some of their cues are really fancy - but for me there's a point of "too much". I prefer fairly simple.

In the end - even if they could deliver me a cue within 4-6 months for 2K .. I'd still look elsewhere.
(still chomping at the bit for my Janes ... I'm not as patient as I was when I was younger .. lol)

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the chance to hit with 3 Southwests whilst doing a swap at a collectors house. One was an 8 point ebony pre-date SW which hit very nice but no better than my 1992 Ebony Black Boar RS-4.

The other two SW's were made after Jerry passed away and I had the option of swapping one of my cues for one of these two Soutwest's or a 4 point Tad.

After hitting with the 3 cues for the afternoon I found the Tad to be far superior cue in terms of balance and the hit and took the Tad over the Southwest's which I found hit too hard and the balance wasn't as good IMHO.

In light of the above, Southwest have made hundreds of cues and I hit with 3 of them but that was my personal experience with the ones I used.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the chance to hit with 3 Southwests whilst doing a swap at a collectors house. One was an 8 point ebony pre-date SW which hit very nice but no better than my 1992 Ebony Black Boar RS-4.

The other two SW's were made after Jerry passed away and I had the option of swapping one of my cues for one of these two Soutwest's or a 4 point Tad.

After hitting with the 3 cues for the afternoon I found the Tad to be far superior cue in terms of balance and the hit and took the Tad over the Southwest's which I found hit too hard and the balance wasn't as good IMHO.

In light of the above, Southwest have made hundreds of cues and I hit with 3 of them but that was my personal experience with the ones I used.

" Yes,
BUT TAD AND BLACK BOAR
Like South West are also Some of the VERY BEST CUES ON THE PLANET

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. But I wouldn't say any cue is the best since looks and feel change from person to person.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
In my opinion no and I have shot with a few of them. I believe people who have monetary gain will tout them as the best thing since sliced bread but I have hit with cues for much much less that hit better to me. Remember hit is subjective though and maybe if you are a weak mental player then the idea of playing with a SW might improve your game. :wink:

Great point here and I finally got a Mezz cue that I had been wanting and I've had new cues and within 6-months traded or sold them because they just weren't for me.

Anyways, after about 2 weeks with the Mezz I felt like I was home and now feel like this cue will be my player for the next 10-15 years.

It's just you know when you know.

I would suggest highly to at least try a Mezz especially over Schon who I also like but just don't think they compare to Mezz. I think Mezz then Joss then Schon are the top 3 production cues made right now but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great point here and I finally got a Mezz cue that I had been wanting and I've had new cues and within 6-months traded or sold them because they just weren't for me.

Anyways, after about 2 weeks with the Mezz I felt like I was home and now feel like this cue will be my player for the next 10-15 years.

I would suggest highly to at least try a Mezz especially over Schon who I also like but just don't think they compare to Mezz. I think Mezz then Joss then Schon are the top 3 production cues made right now but that's just my opinion.

I put my Mezz WX900 on everything from my budwieser cue to my Tim Scruggs to my Schon's to my Black Pearl etc.... It Makes them all play like a Mezz. Good work on this shaft.

R

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Welcome to the dark side buddy !

Mezz has long been a best kept secret with a hit far more solid n sweet than many custom cue.

In fact, i have always regard mezz as a poor man's southwest. The wd700 shaft hits very similar to the southwest shaft but with more power n lower deflection.

Now i need u to keep that secret so less ppl know man lol

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So you didn't like that Meucci you waited so long for and were going to update us on? Were you turned off by all the Meucci hatred here?

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion no and I have shot with a few of them. I believe people who have monetary gain will tout them as the best thing since sliced bread but I have hit with cues for much much less that hit better to me. Remember hit is subjective though and maybe if you are a weak mental player then the idea of playing with a SW might improve your game. :wink:

You nailed it Lenny..the key word is "subjective"!..There are dozens of top quality cue makers on the planet, the 'best' can change (from the same maker) from one day to the next!..Southwest is an excellent product, but its success is also based on its longevity, pricing and demand!.. No one cue, can ever be all things, to all players!...We are not robots! :rolleyes:

PS..I have played with house cues, that 'hit' as good (or better) than any custom cuemaker could ever duplicate!..For Crissake, its just a piece of wood..Your tip, your stroke and your speed control, are infinitely more important! ;)

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You nailed it Lenny..the key word is "subjective"!..There are dozens of top quality cue makers on the planet, the 'best' can change (from the same maker) from one day to the next!..Southwest is an excellent product, but its success is also based on its longevity, pricing and demand!.. No one cue, can ever be all things, to all players!...We are not robots! :rolleyes:

PS..I have played with house cues, that 'hit' as good (or better) than any custom cuemaker could ever duplicate!..For Crissake, its just a piece of wood..Your tip, your stroke and your speed control, are infinitely more important! ;)

I agree.

I have shot as well with a $5 cue as I have with thousand dollar cues.

All the specs I use on my custom cues were based upon an old Brunswick house cue that I had doctored up back in the early 70s.