poolFanatic's EPIC garage pool room project

poolf4natic

Registered
For my first thread, I thought I would share my journey to make a 'field of dreams' pool setup in my garage. It was quite the journey, so bear with me while I try and recapitulate the process.

I will break it down to a few major steps, with some spattering of detail. Feedback welcome!

Step 1 - Convince the wife
This was arguably the hardest part of the process. Started with trying to convince her to let me put a pool table in the living room. We have a 2 year old, so obviously no dice. The great thing about starting off the negotiations at something impossible is that it often slides to somewhere in the middle ;) Since we live in sunny San Diego, parking the cars outside is an option (unlike in Lewisville, TX where we were living... golf ball sized hail in 70 degree weather = non-starter) and so it was decided that the garage would be available. Literally pulled off the impossible here LOL!

Step 2 - Convince the current homeowner
Since I wanted to buy the table ahead of time, I had to talk to the brother-in-law (then sister-in-law) and convince them to allow me to have a pool table delivered to their garage. We were in the process of purchasing their home. They were gracious enough to let it happen (I cleaned their garage out completely).

Step 3 - Order the table
Ordered the table from Donny at West State Billiards. Ordered a 9' diamond pro-am in black with a matching light. Delivery happened pretty smoothly, although I will say they didn't do much in terms of leveling - more on that later.

The table was situated in the garage where I had a full 65" clearance rail to wall all the way around to account for a standard cue of 58" and a 6" stroke. Added 1" just for safety. Length-wise I had no wiggle room at all - it was just enough!

1_delivered_zpss44ngtim.jpg

* delivered and installed... that's the light under the table

Step 4 - Get the lighting installed
Wired the ballasts and mounted the light. This was interesting, as the idea was to have the light high enough off the table to meet spec. Unfortunately I was a couple inches shy of reaching that goal on this one but I can only work with the space I have.
3_ballasts%20and%20lighting_zpsf1axwikj.jpg
4_light_mounted_zpseuz5wpei.jpg

I used wire cabling I bought at Home Depot to make custom length drop cabling and used metal hooks screwed into the ceiling beams. Luckily, the beams were in the perfect spots to have the light right above the table.

Sadly the whole garage is wired load-side through GFCI's so the fluorescent ballasts that came with the lighting would trip every time I turned on the lights. I had to wire each ballast (there are two of them in this light) separately and turn them on one by one to make sure they didn't trip! I'm assuming its ground leakage from an EM/RFI filter in the ballast that was doing it. At first I had a used an iDevices switch to allow for HomeKit control of the light. "Hey Siri, turn on garage pool table light" would turn on the first set of lights. I had a remote controlled switch after that where the second set of lights were plugged into, which meant I had to turn on the first set, then click on the remote for the second set. What a pain. I soon discovered something called an on-delay relay that I could use to automatically turn one light on after the other after a set delay. This made life much easier. I removed the remote switch and installed the relay and set it so one set would turn on 15 seconds after the other. Score!
5_ckctimer_asolution_zpsg1f7qxcb.jpg
5_ckctimer_byebyeswitch_zpsorcifytt.jpg
5_light_mounted_zpsdwppre8n.jpg

Step 5 - TV
Pretty straightforward. I'll let the pics do the talking.
6_tv_mounted_zps4lacxvms.jpg
7_tv_mounted_zpsaobhii7g.jpg

More coming...

poolf4natic

Registered
Post continued...

Step 6 - Fix the floor
Garage floors have slopes. I'm sure you all know this but man it was way worse than I imagined! So I had to figure out a way to level the floor. Considered concrete (too permanent) and eventually read some blogs on home gym floor leveling and came up with the idea of using 3/4 OSB with roofing singles to space and level a subfloor.
Here is a diagram of the initial plan:
2_diagram_zpsp7pujr1j.jpg

I started to build out the floor. Tip for anyone trying to do this, don't ever cut anything inside your garage! LOL I'm sure none of you would be as dumb as me and try that.
8_first_panels_zpsowskdyec.jpg

I used staples to fasten sheets of roofing shingle to blocks and used a digital level. I also used a laser level to check when I was done that it was uniform distance from the table bed all around.
9_level_zpshvqkeika.jpg
10_2nd_panel_zpsg49ymhr0.jpg
11_side_panels_zpstzoxnnem.jpg
15_side_panels_zpstdip7cfj.jpg
18_end_panels_zps9frfweh7.jpg
20_end_panels_zpspieubrk0.jpg

Subfloor complete!
22_subfloor_done_zpskxqqgspf.jpg

poolf4natic

Registered
Continued...

Step 6 continued...

Step 6.5 - Get some cameras
Got a 4k camera as well as some tripods to mount ipad/iphone combinations to. This allows me to get multiple angles for review purposes. I also had a GoPro Hero5 that replaced a broken GoPro Hero 3+ which I mounted to the light for an overhead view (albeit fishbowled :/)

25_4kcamera_zps64plbffm.jpg
28_ipads_zpsqrun9tnv.jpg
26_gopro_zps7ycyjgdt.jpg
27_gopro_mounted_zpsodjqyjov.jpg

I added a layer of masonite on top of the subfloor, making sure the masonite panels were cut differently than the underlying panels. This way any bumps (minute as they were) would be smoothed out and not noticeable under foot.
30_masonite_zpsync78b9y.jpg

This was all screwed down so I could remove any time I wanted.

One issue was that to cover the nearly 3 inch difference in height between the far end legs and close legs. I ordered blocks of aluminum from an online metal supplier at 5"x5"x1" and 5"x5"x2". When they arrived I went to a local powder coating company, who had the blocks matte-black coated within a day. Slapped on some skateboard deck tape on both sides to prevent slip and called a table mechanic to put them under the feet and level the table properly. Ended up with 30" - 30 1/4" bed height off the floor when all was said and done.

35_feet_spacers_zpsai7rkrmb.jpg
36_feet_spacers_zpsctckcakt.jpg
37_feet_spacers_zpsg7larksh.jpg
38_feet_spacers_zpsxkmn5khs.jpg

Still more coming!

Last edited:

poolf4natic

Registered
Final steps!

Step 7 - Finish is important!

Bought some cheap cheap commercial 'carpet' at Home Depot and used carpet tape to secure it to the masonite.

39_carpet_zpsr8cipp1g.jpg
41_alldone_a1_zpszojke2ms.jpg

And last but not least, needed some TV balls for the table (regular tournament isn't going to cut it anymore hahaha)
40_tv_tournament_balls_zpsfis9soyy.jpg

All done! I'm sure I forgot some stuff along the way but you'll have to forgive me, this is my first thread... Enjoy!
41_alldone_a2_zpssv1xa8vh.jpg

poolf4natic

Registered
Almost forgot about the LED lighting!

Swapped out the fluorescents with direct wired LED lights and removed the timer. Now it turns on and will never pop that GFCI! Not to mention run cooler and use less power. :thumbup:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the camera setup. You got Alex and Dennis coming over for a big 1p money match?

poolf4natic

Registered
I like the camera setup. You got Alex and Dennis coming over for a big 1p money match?

That would be insanely awesome, but much like what happened in the BBC interview video that's going viral, my two year old keeps popping in and saying 'yay' for every made shot and 'uh oh' for every missed one. He also likes to grab balls in the return and plop them in the pockets. Not a very good environment for a serious match lol!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond just installed a 9ft pro-am into my enclosed garage also this past Thursday.

How hot does it get in S.D? You got a/c?? I'm planning on a 15000 BTU window unit.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my first thread, I thought I would share my journey to make a 'field of dreams' pool setup in my garage. It was quite the journey, so bear with me while I try and recapitulate the process.

I will break it down to a few major steps, with some spattering of detail. Feedback welcome!

Step 1 - Convince the wife
This was arguably the hardest part of the process. Started with trying to convince her to let me put a pool table in the living room. We have a 2 year old, so obviously no dice. The great thing about starting off the negotiations at something impossible is that it often slides to somewhere in the middle ;) Since we live in sunny San Diego, parking the cars outside is an option (unlike in Lewisville, TX where we were living... golf ball sized hail in 70 degree weather = non-starter) and so it was decided that the garage would be available. Literally pulled off the impossible here LOL!

Step 2 - Convince the current homeowner
Since I wanted to buy the table ahead of time, I had to talk to the brother-in-law (then sister-in-law) and convince them to allow me to have a pool table delivered to their garage. We were in the process of purchasing their home. They were gracious enough to let it happen (I cleaned their garage out completely).

Step 3 - Order the table
Ordered the table from Donny at West State Billiards. Ordered a 9' diamond pro-am in black with a matching light. Delivery happened pretty smoothly, although I will say they didn't do much in terms of leveling - more on that later.

The table was situated in the garage where I had a full 65" clearance rail to wall all the way around to account for a standard cue of 58" and a 6" stroke. Added 1" just for safety. Length-wise I had no wiggle room at all - it was just enough!

1_delivered_zpss44ngtim.jpg

* delivered and installed... that's the light under the table

Step 4 - Get the lighting installed
Wired the ballasts and mounted the light. This was interesting, as the idea was to have the light high enough off the table to meet spec. Unfortunately I was a couple inches shy of reaching that goal on this one but I can only work with the space I have.
3_ballasts%20and%20lighting_zpsf1axwikj.jpg
4_light_mounted_zpseuz5wpei.jpg

I used wire cabling I bought at Home Depot to make custom length drop cabling and used metal hooks screwed into the ceiling beams. Luckily, the beams were in the perfect spots to have the light right above the table.

Sadly the whole garage is wired load-side through GFCI's so the fluorescent ballasts that came with the lighting would trip every time I turned on the lights. I had to wire each ballast (there are two of them in this light) separately and turn them on one by one to make sure they didn't trip! I'm assuming its ground leakage from an EM/RFI filter in the ballast that was doing it. At first I had a used an iDevices switch to allow for HomeKit control of the light. "Hey Siri, turn on garage pool table light" would turn on the first set of lights. I had a remote controlled switch after that where the second set of lights were plugged into, which meant I had to turn on the first set, then click on the remote for the second set. What a pain. I soon discovered something called an on-delay relay that I could use to automatically turn one light on after the other after a set delay. This made life much easier. I removed the remote switch and installed the relay and set it so one set would turn on 15 seconds after the other. Score!
5_ckctimer_asolution_zpsg1f7qxcb.jpg
5_ckctimer_byebyeswitch_zpsorcifytt.jpg
5_light_mounted_zpsdwppre8n.jpg

Step 5 - TV
Pretty straightforward. I'll let the pics do the talking.
6_tv_mounted_zps4lacxvms.jpg
7_tv_mounted_zpsaobhii7g.jpg

More coming...

Absolutely fantastic job ... especially your negotiations with the wifey ... You could not have purchased a better table.

Have fun and enjoy your hard work for many years to come.

poolf4natic

Registered
Diamond just installed a 9ft pro-am into my enclosed garage also this past Thursday.

How hot does it get in S.D? You got a/c?? I'm planning on a 15000 BTU window unit.

The garage has an insulated door, but yes I think I'll work Heating/Cooling/Humidity solution specifically for the garage soon. Usually stays in the high 70's to 80's year round. Mornings can be chilly, around the 60's.

Btw, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I really enjoyed walking through that. Wish it would have been me, but vicariously it was great. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: