Silver Member
Balls from left to right are: 11, 9, 2, 13, 15, 12, 3, 4, 14

Screenshot - 1_15_2017 , 2_24_12 PM.jpg

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Balls from left to right are: 11, 9, 2, 13, 15, 12, 3, 4, 14

View attachment 446658

Honestly? I run the 13 straight through to give myself options on the 9 or preferably 2 up the corner (Mosconi used to shoot ball straight up the far corners, so who am I not to?) or the 12 where I can cope with the 10 and 4 (which I'd not want to leave to the end, being right-handed or not): field position on three balls, so to speak. Decide from there (depending on where exactly I land).

I can see that the 11, 2 and 9 form an end pattern to get on the 9 as break shot - provided one gets absolutely perfect on the 11, off-straight in order to get the cue ball of the rail yet low enough on the 2. Looks better on paper than real life!

(The kind of end pattern I'll execute if I have to, but avoid when I can.)

Also, I can't tell if the 4 passes the 3 into the far corner - that might make a difference in terms of leaving the 3 and 10 as I'm right-handed, but there's no lead ball (K2) to get perfect on the 3.

(Again: the kind of end pattern I'll execute if I have to, but avoid when I can, especially as I'd prefer to fall on the near side of the middle pocket for this type of break shot - hard to do without lead ball to the key ball.)

I personally prefer an "all-purpose" key ball like the 15, two rails out of the corner around the break (in this case 2 or 9) from roughly where the 11 is, alternatively and equally as good from roughly where the 10 is now, the reason why further above I said "preferably the 2" as with the 9 gone, one has a triple choice of using the 15 as key ball (in the latter scenario, stunning or even floating over to the rail and off). An additional advantage of break balls in the rack area is that should one happen to get straight-in on them, there's always the option of leaving the cue ball in the rack and take ball in hand behind the head string.

Regardless: the point is to leave oneself options as well as getting rid of balls that block paths to pockets first, and secondly, that the 15 in the rack area is as good or better a key ball as the 11 or 3 on either side (depending on which break ball one chooses).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure of some of the clearances, but...

Plan A is for an 11-ball key ball for the 2 break. Roll straight through the 13 to get on the 9 to the corner with the 12 after. I'd have to see about the side pockets to shoot the 4 straight in from the 12, followed by 10, 15 and 3 going three cushions to the 11.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working backwards, I like the 2 or 9 as a break ball and the 13 or 15 as a key ball. Maybe the 4 or 10 as a K2 ball. For me, I don't love the 11 as a key ball because there's no simple way to get on it. I'd be worried about getting a bad angle on the 11 and then having to power the cue ball to get position on the break ball.

How do I shoot it? Follow the 13 straight through for the 9 or 2 up corner. Overrun the position. Forced to back-cut the 12 into the lower right corner pocket. Cue ball winds up on the head rail. Shoot the 11, rattle it, curse, sit down. :frown:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I got the 11-2 correct, but I wouldn't have guessed much of the rest.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me that was unconventional but I didn't post a solution because it was an unconventional layout. I thought the biggest problem was the 4-14 and he solved that by bumping the 4. The shot on the 9 is unconventional because it doesn't have to go.

Good puzzle, thanks for posting it.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me that was unconventional but I didn't post a solution because it was an unconventional layout. I thought the biggest problem was the 4-14 and he solved that by bumping the 4. The shot on the 9 is unconventional because it doesn't have to go.

Good puzzle, thanks for posting it.

After originally posting the layout I had second thoughts about it. I was a bit hasty on this one. I also didn't know what Corteza would do, but I knew he got to 225, so I figured there was a solution in there somewhere. Now I see that the solution was to scramble.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After originally posting the layout I had second thoughts about it. I was a bit hasty on this one. I also didn't know what Corteza would do, but I knew he got to 225, so I figured there was a solution in there somewhere. Now I see that the solution was to scramble.

I'm glad you posted it. There are many times when I end up scrambling so it's good to see how a pro does it.