Cueball position?

Belford

Registered
What do you imagine for the cueball position for your next shot? Do you picture a line to fall on, a highlighted zone, the exact cueball spot, just feel or something else?

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
Looking forward to seeing others respond. I myself focus on an exact spot. I envision the entire shot:
- which pocket I am playing for
- where I am hitting on the cue ball
- the line my cue ball will be traveling
- and that exact spot I want the cue ball to stop at

PoppaSaun

Banned
What do you imagine for the cueball position for your next shot? Do you picture a line to fall on, a highlighted zone, the exact cueball spot, just feel or something else?

Completely depends on the situation. The majority of the time I look at what I call the 'triangle of opportunity'. This is the pie-shaped area where the ball is easy to make and give easy opportunity for shape on the next ball. Ideally I will be traveling with the triangle and not across it.

The other extreme is where I have a very small area and as such, I have to land the cueball in a small circle.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The triangle is a great shape tool, yes.

If you cannot consistently hit your shape target, you need to think "short or long on this one?" By that I mean where will the larger mistake be made, hitting the shot too softly or too hard? This will give you a line to land the cue ball along on the safe side of the shape for the upcoming shot.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Completely depends on the situation. The majority of the time I look at what I call the 'triangle of opportunity'. This is the pie-shaped area where the ball is easy to make and give easy opportunity for shape on the next ball. Ideally I will be traveling with the triangle and not across it.

The other extreme is where I have a very small area and as such, I have to land the cueball in a small circle.

Same thing but I wasn't calling it this way...but maybe I should! :thumbup:

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
I find that most people can predict the trajectory of the cueball with reasonable accuracy even without many years of practice. I've had opponents unfamiliar with kicking try a few 2- and 3-railers after seeing me do them succesfully, once they realize they have some intuitive understanding of the trajectory.

I ask two questions, where do I want the cueball, and where does it want to go. Chances are I haven't played perfect position on the last shot, and the cueball favors a particular direction of travel.

Once I think about realistic travel paths, I look at which ones can land in good position zones and play from there.

We all plan "pinpoint" position in that even beginners know exactly where they'd like the cueball to be. Evaluating the likely trajectory of the cueball while planning position helps increase chances of success.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I concentrate on trying to keep the cueball on the table. If I can't do that, I at least like to try and keep it in the pool room.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concentrate on trying to keep the cueball on the table. If I can't do that, I at least like to try and keep it in the pool room.

My friend could not do that.
He got cueball flying thorugh window and rolling 300 meters on the street.. :p:p:p

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
figure out where you want the CB to end up, then imagine how hard you have to hit the CB into the OB to get there, and what spin (if any) is needed to get there.

Then concentrate on making the OB while also applying the correct spin and speed....

Hopefully it will all work out, if it doesnt figure out why the CB didnt end up where you thought it would and make adjustments in the future...

Always try to come up with a plan that has a large margin for error.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I choose a line to the exact spot. I sometimes point to where I want the cueball to land.
Problem is, it never gets there. I've tried yelling at it, swearing, hitting it harder, throwing it, that thing just doesnt learn.
Dumb as a rock I suppose.
Maybe im using the wrong languages.

<<<<<<Still working on it.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

find the "zone" (triangle, etc) in which you will have a shot if you land anywhere in that zone. Aim for a "spot" which is the center of that zone (giving you the largest margin of error)

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
**** if I know. I'm still trying to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I pinpoint the exact spot I want the cue ball to land, preferably from my shooting location then I look to make sure its even possible to get there. Once I pinpoint where I can get the cue ball to land I look to decide if Im better off landing long, short, more angle, or less angle if I miss my exact spot. So to sum it up I am looking for a triangle of opportunity like most others.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Locate the perfect ball in hand location on next shot, see where cue ball is going naturally and hopefully your triangle window falls into this perfect ball in hand spot If not adjust with speed and spin

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually play for the exact spot, but in some shots like a 3-4 rail shot I pick the spot on the rail I want to hit as well as cueball position. Whenever I just say "send the ball that way" I end up straight with no chance for shape on the next shot.

Also focus a bit on making an error on the correct site of the next ball so figure out in your head if you want to make sure you go past the line or short of the line and hit accordingly. Going 6 inches too far but on the right direction is usually better than going .5 inches not enough and having to move through traffic or extra rails.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I play to a line of aim on my next shot. That line is selected to produce an angle to the line of aim on the shot that follows, etc. To me, shot distance is usually not as important as angle.

I do think it's important to choose a somewhat small area to stop the cue ball. It gives the player feedback that builds fine motor control and touch over time.

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sometimes also give myself a pass or fail line to stay on correct side

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The triangle is a great shape tool, yes.

If you cannot consistently hit your shape target, you need to think "short or long on this one?" By that I mean where will the larger mistake be made, hitting the shot too softly or too hard? This will give you a line to land the cue ball along on the safe side of the shape for the upcoming shot.

I must not be as dumb as I thought. This is exactly the way I do it. I pick a spot and ask myself where I'm going to be if I hit the shot too hard or too soft and plan my cue ball speed from that (still playing for perfect shape, of course).

And yes...somewhere along the shot line is acceptable to me as long as it's not 7 feet away or an inch away from the object ball.

Maniac