Famous Players Cues

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,
Not to long ago there was a post on here about what the greats used and it is a great thread. What I'm wondering is, what were the specs of the great's cues? Length, weight, tip size, shaft taper, etc. I asked the maker I use for most of my stuff and he told me Mosconi's shafts had a 14" taper on them. I have searched all over and not really found much info, obviously the specs would change over time but I can't find any.
So, does anyone have the specs on the cues some of the greats have used?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hello all,
Not to long ago there was a post on here about what the greats used and it is a great thread. What I'm wondering is, what were the specs of the great's cues? Length, weight, tip size, shaft taper, etc. I asked the maker I use for most of my stuff and he told me Mosconi's shafts had a 14" taper on them. I have searched all over and not really found much info, obviously the specs would change over time but I can't find any.
So, does anyone have the specs on the cues some of the greats have used?

God, what a question. I can only go by observation, when I was there. I'll give a few, but it's by no means a complete list.

Willie Mosconi - Not sure about weight and length, but the shafts were somewhere around 12 3/4 mm, and looooooong taper. More like about 18 inches. Willie was short, and knew he had to do a lot of long bridges. I've never seen as long a taper as the shafts on Mosocni's Bushka. Not sure about his Rambow, didn't see it in person. He did say he liked a cue about 19 1/2 ounces.

Joe Balsis - Pretty stiff looking cue, at least in 1982, Legends tournament in Atlantic City, same as Willie above. I'm going to say pretty standard length, and 12 3/4 to 13 mm, very stiff looking. Couldn't tell what that cue was either. It wasn't the Palmer, Paradise, or Tad that he had earlier used.

Babe Cranfield - I handled and hit balls with both his Rambow and Balabushka. About average weight, 19 1/2 ounces, the Rambow was 57", and the Bushka was 57 1/2". Like Mosconi, he like a very long taper on the shafts, as he once said he didn't like the torque that came into play with a long stroke. I'd say about 12 1/2 mm. Over time though, he whittled his ferrules to points.

U.J. Pucket - Same tournament as Mosconi and Balsis. May have been a Tad cue, plain birdseye, looked a bit longer than usual. Very big shaft, I'm going to say at least 13 mm. Looked like a log, even in his big hands.

Minnesota Fats - Same tournament, Atlantic City. His Rambow looked to have about a 13 mm shaft, pretty long taper. I'm going to guess 57", but who knows.

Mike Sigel - I actually bent over the table with him, measuring both our cues, as he was house pro at Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD. He was fascinated with the shaft on my cue, and we measured his at exactly 12.4 mm, pretty long taper. His own make of cue. About average weight, 19 1/2 ounces. He recounted how his earlier Joss cues were just a bit thicker shafts, and slightly heavier.

Ray Martin - I can only recount from his book, 99 critical shots in pool, where he advocated a 13 mm tip, and 57 inch cue. But I recall some of his cues selling on Ebay with 12 1/2 mm shafts. The included cues made by both Balalbushka and Szamboti.

Actually, you've asked an impossible question, because not that much info is really available on the cue specs of the pros, and even they change up quite a bit. But, the above is pretty accurate, based on observation up close. It will be pretty interesting to see of others recall anything specific.

All the best,
WW

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall had a strange one.

The wrap of his cue nearly covered the entire bottom of the butt.

Ray Martin had his cues wrapped in nylon.

I think both are terrible ideas.

Ken

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope.

Buddy flipped cues like most folks change underwear.

He has the ability to call just about ANY cuemaker and ask for a cue and they send it to him for free.

Ken
You got that right. When Buddy was living in Tulsa a few years ago he hit and liked a Schuler cue i had recently bought. He called Noel and had a new Schuler in about 3wks, no charge. He(Buddy) had one of those big travel/dealer cases full of nice cues. He'd play with one for a week or two and then sell it. One of the perks for his status in the pool world.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Ken

Not 100% sure, but I think that mid 80s cue of Buddy's that had that long wrap may have been a Benson cue. Possibly Meucci, but I think Benson.

Martin's cues? Yes, wrapped in black dacron. That's how he likes it. Possibly, he will respond. He occasionally does. His Balabushka/Szamboti, as well as his later Szamboti's had the dacron black wrap.

Terrible ideas? Well, Martin was and is, a straight pool champion. Buddy's cue, if indeed, a Benson? Benson was thrown in the slammer a few years ago for child molestation.

Draw your own conclusions. And, as always,

All the best,
WW

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not 100% sure, but I think that mid 80s cue of Buddy's that had that long wrap may have been a Benson cue. Possibly Meucci, but I think Benson.

Martin's cues? Yes, wrapped in black dacron. That's how he likes it. Possibly, he will respond. He occasionally does. His Balabushka/Szamboti, as well as his later Szamboti's had the dacron black wrap.

Terrible ideas? Well, Martin was and is, a straight pool champion. Buddy's cue, if indeed, a Benson? Benson was thrown in the slammer a few years ago for child molestation.

All the best,
WW

Wow just imagine how good Martin would have been if he got those cue with a linen wrap instead of nylon.....:rolleyes:

Ken

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got that right. When Buddy was living in Tulsa a few years ago he hit and liked a Schuler cue i had recently bought. He called Noel and had a new Schuler in about 3wks, no charge. He(Buddy) had one of those big travel/dealer cases full of nice cues. He'd play with one for a week or two and then sell it. One of the perks for his status in the pool world.

As most know Buddy was in Schreveport for a number of years and got to be friends with Bill Schick.

I think Bill had made him numerous cues, and Buddy said his cues were perfect.

While Bill made him several, Buddy didnt play with one that I ever saw. So, he must have sold them all.

Like most of his generation, he told me he owned many Balabushkas and Szamboti cues, sold them. It would be interesting to know what all of those cues would be worth today.

Ken

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As most know Buddy was in Schreveport for a number of years and got to be friends with Bill Schick.

I think Bill had made him numerous cues, and Buddy said his cues were perfect.

While Bill made him several, Buddy didnt play with one that I ever saw. So, he must have sold them all.

Like most of his generation, he told me he owned many Balabushkas and Szamboti cues, sold them. It would be interesting to know what all of those cues would be worth today.

Ken

Most have to somewhere out there

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy's Balabushka is in the glenn collection

I heard him offer to trade a new cadillac for it

it is probably worth a lot

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Ken

All the best,
WW

Buddy Hall was playing with this Bludworth....or a similar one...late 90s....
...I liked the idea so much, I got MikeJohnson to make me one.....
...the long wrap isn't a terrible idea when you hold the cue long.

IMG_3632.JPG

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
God, what a question. I can only go by observation, when I was there. I'll give a few, but it's by no means a complete list.

Willie Mosconi - Not sure about weight and length, but the shafts were somewhere around 12 3/4 mm, and looooooong taper. More like about 18 inches. Willie was short, and knew he had to do a lot of long bridges. I've never seen as long a taper as the shafts on Mosocni's Bushka. Not sure about his Rambow, didn't see it in person. He did say he liked a cue about 19 1/2 ounces.

Joe Balsis - Pretty stiff looking cue, at least in 1982, Legends tournament in Atlantic City, same as Willie above. I'm going to say pretty standard length, and 12 3/4 to 13 mm, very stiff looking. Couldn't tell what that cue was either. It wasn't the Palmer, Paradise, or Tad that he had earlier used.

Babe Cranfield - I handled and hit balls with both his Rambow and Balabushka. About average weight, 19 1/2 ounces, the Rambow was 57", and the Bushka was 57 1/2". Like Mosconi, he like a very long taper on the shafts, as he once said he didn't like the torque that came into play with a long stroke. I'd say about 12 1/2 mm. Over time though, he whittled his ferrules to points.

U.J. Pucket - Same tournament as Mosconi and Balsis. May have been a Tad cue, plain birdseye, looked a bit longer than usual. Very big shaft, I'm going to say at least 13 mm. Looked like a log, even in his big hands.

Minnesota Fats - Same tournament, Atlantic City. His Rambow looked to have about a 13 mm shaft, pretty long taper. I'm going to guess 57", but who knows.

Mike Sigel - I actually bent over the table with him, measuring both our cues, as he was house pro at Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD. He was fascinated with the shaft on my cue, and we measured his at exactly 12.4 mm, pretty long taper. His own make of cue. About average weight, 19 1/2 ounces. He recounted how his earlier Joss cues were just a bit thicker shafts, and slightly heavier.

Ray Martin - I can only recount from his book, 99 critical shots in pool, where he advocated a 13 mm tip, and 57 inch cue. But I recall some of his cues selling on Ebay with 12 1/2 mm shafts. The included cues made by both Balalbushka and Szamboti.

Actually, you've asked an impossible question, because not that much info is really available on the cue specs of the pros, and even they change up quite a bit. But, the above is pretty accurate, based on observation up close. It will be pretty interesting to see of others recall anything specific.

All the best,
WW

You are a bad man WW! Thanks for the info on the vintage players:cool:

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the info AZ! It would be nice to get the specs on the cues, I plan on compiling a list sooner or later and will post up when I get more info.
Thanks again for the info, let's keep this thread going, still lots of info needed!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching an older match where he intentionally made a lot of balls and didn't so much miss balls, marveling at the guy's control and listening to the click of his tip that had to have been a fairly hard one. I've come to depend on the grip of softer tips but prefer the liveliness of more medium ones. I'm curious if he did what he was able to do with like a Triangle or what it might be. Sounds like he might not have given it much consideration.
I used to watch Buddy practice at Magoo's in Tulsa and he'd play with 5-6 different cues. He'd switch back-n-forth with totally different types: steel, wood-wood, stiff, whippy, hard tip, soft tip and he played the same with all of them. He could switch in the middle of a game and just keep running balls. He preferred flat-face joints but it really didn't seem to matter.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Glenn family owns several hundred cues that were formerly owned and played with by legendary pros. I'm sure they could give you a great deal of info on their specs.