Kamui tips and chalk question

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tip shape

I heard of the same problem until a gentleman who fixes cues, and is a qualified (if that is what you call it) by Kamui to install tips, explained to me the issue. Do not round your tips like you normally do. These layed tips are to be more flat. Big difference. Try it and you will love the tip.

jdxprs

Banned
You're doing something wrong. You should never miscue with that tip. I've used both super soft tips and never ever had an issue.

you're probably right. im sure after all these years of playing, that i have suddenly changed something about my game that is causing this issue for the past week, and the new tip being on my cue for the same amount of time is just a pure coincidence.

jdxprs

Banned
I heard of the same problem until a gentleman who fixes cues, and is a qualified (if that is what you call it) by Kamui to install tips, explained to me the issue. Do not round your tips like you normally do. These layed tips are to be more flat. Big difference. Try it and you will love the tip.

Interesting. I do tend to keep my tips a bit on the" round" side. Ill give this a try.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
I played continuously for 3 hours last nit with my Kamui black medium tip and only chalked about 8 times without a miscue.

TheThaiger

Banned

Interesting. I can't seem to stop fiddling with my tip(!) and it tends to be very rounded. My middle name is miscue. I've miscued with my Kamui Black medium immediately after using the Kamui Gator and applying copious amounts of Kamui chalk. The more i spend, the more I miscue.

Anyway, how do you flatten them, without access to a lathe? I have sandpaper, a cuecube shaper and Joel Pope's tip tool.

Last edited:

qexpert_101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Black Kamui hard and had it on for 2 years and it still looks like brand new. I never scuff it and keep it at a dime shape and I rarely miscue. I have a bad habit of only chalking about every third shot with blue diamond chalk. Best tip I have ever used.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
i've recently had a shaft made for my scruggs by phelps custom cues. i wanted to try something new, so i went with a kamui super soft.

i've never miscued so many times in my life. is this common with kamui tips? is this why they invented a new kind of chalk?

i honestly dont understand what all the hype is about with kamui. too expensive, and no where near as good as an elk master (if you want soft) or a triangle.

That was my experience.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Kamui put out a thread awhile back about counterfit tips..........could be one....

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have the Kamui brown and black tips for almost a couple years and no problems. You must have got a bad tip. I think their quality is usually very good and consistent.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
No matter what you ll hear here now- and yes, there were *counterfeits* on the market- but also you can be unlucky even with a quality product and get a bad batch.
Install a new one (even same kind of tip) and i am VERY sure, that you won t have any problems anymore.

p.s. I really would let Tim know about your problems.

lg
Ingo

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

The video from Kamui on installing thier tips shows him putting a perfect nickle shape on the tip. Johnnyt

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I think it is funny how you spend $20.00 on a tip and then say... Hey this thing is a piece of crap, I keep miscuing :angry:
So here are some of the excuses that Kamui has for their black tips:
1. It has to be a counterfeit
2. Tip was installed improperly :scratchhead:
3. It is you, not the tip (although you never had a problem before) :scratchhead:
4. You must have shaped the tip wrong (REALLY????)
5. And this one if the best....It must be the chalk you are using, but Kamui can help, just buy $25.00 cube of chalk and you will not have any more issues. :bash:

Like I said before I love the Kamui brown tips. I have no use for the blacks tips. If I go outside the center of the CB I have zero confidence that I will not miscue. In a hill - hill match, with 3 balls left, I would not bet that I could expect the tip/me not to miscues with a Kamui black.

If I am spending more on a tip, I expect more out of it.
I should not need to treat it any different than a $.50 triangle tip.
All the other BS here is just that.

If it were not for the inconsistency of one triangles tip to another, I would use them.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've recently had a shaft made for my scruggs by phelps custom cues. i wanted to try something new, so i went with a kamui super soft.

i've never miscued so many times in my life. is this common with kamui tips? is this why they invented a new kind of chalk?

i honestly dont understand what all the hype is about with kamui. too expensive, and no where near as good as an elk master (if you want soft) or a triangle.

I put Kamui tip on my cue, it played good, but tip did not last long i'd say 5 month 3 hrs a day average or 450 hrs , i probably scuff it once or twice, i guess it should not last longer!

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The video from Kamui on installing thier tips shows him putting a perfect nickle shape on the tip. Johnnyt

After myself and Lee Heuwagen, a great player out of Minneapolis were told about the tip shape, I sat next to SVB in New Town, ND and we were all talking about how flat his tip was. I guess if a cue mechanic, whom is certified by Kamui tells people like Lee, and Lee trusts him enough to change his tip shape, I will also.

Try it.

Heath Manning

Manning Cues
Silver Member
Kamui Tips Miss Cueing

I have installed many Kamui tips on my billiard lathe and have found with any tip that the installation can affect the hit and grip of the tip.

When the tip is being trimmed / shaped on the lathe spinning at high speeds the tip face can be burned very easily and can become very slippery.

There are many tools to shape your tip by hand but honestly the Kamui Gator grip works the best. When looking at your tip closely make sure you can see tiny fibres sticking up of the tip surface. The gator Grip does this very well and doesn't take off layers of your tip.

Weather you prefer a round, dime or nickel shape of your tip the biggest reason for a miss-cue is a burned tip surface after installation or the impacted chalk on the surface of the tip. This causes the tip to become slippery and smooth.

I have played with all the tips available and you shouldn't be miss-cueing as you said. I hope this helps

Manning Cues