How do I wire this safety switch to my lathe?

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this safety switch from grizzly thinking that it is already wired and all I have to do is plug in my lathe but it is not. There are no instruction manual that came with it.

There are 3 wires, black, white ang green. One white and 1 black is already connected but the green wire is not. Then there's another set of black, white and green wires. Do i connect those the same side as where the other black and white wires are connected? what about the green? i'm guessing that is the ground. where do i connect those?

Can someone make it simple for me? Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Safety-Switch-for-G2894/W2001

Attachments

• 20170123_104224.jpg
    20170123_104224.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 666

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
OK, first question is:
Where those wires already connected? If so, then match the colors to the other lugs, as in the white goes to the lug above the other white, etc. If they were not, then
Second question, Do you have an ohmmeter or a continuity tester? You will need these to test which lugs are connected when the switch is in the 'on' state and then disconnected when in the 'off' state. It wont matter which lug SET you use for the white or black, as long as you put the same color wires on the same set of lugs. Attached is a diagram of various switch configs. The one you want is the lower left.
I will say, as an emergency type shutoff switch, I use a momentary contact foot pedal switch, so I step on it to run, and remove my foot to stop it. I found this to be safer, as it's easier to remove a foot, than it is to use my hands to find and push the switch. I got it from Harbor freight for about $15 and you just plug in the motor into it and then into an outlet.
http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html
Dave
switch.png

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, first question is:
Where those wires already connected? If so, then match the colors to the other lugs, as in the white goes to the lug above the other white, etc. If they were not, then
Second question, Do you have an ohmmeter or a continuity tester? You will need these to test which lugs are connected when the switch is in the 'on' state and then disconnected when in the 'off' state. It wont matter which lug SET you use for the white or black, as long as you put the same color wires on the same set of lugs. Attached is a diagram of various switch configs. The one you want is the lower left.
I will say, as an emergency type shutoff switch, I use a momentary contact foot pedal switch, so I step on it to run, and remove my foot to stop it. I found this to be safer, as it's easier to remove a foot, than it is to use my hands to find and push the switch. I got it from Harbor freight for about $15 and you just plug in the motor into it and then into an outlet.
http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html
Dave
View attachment 447453

Thank you. Answer to your first question is - yes, the wires are already connected. So, I just need to match the other wires. What about the green wire? how and where do i attach them?

I also currently have my lathe attached to a foot pedal but i sometimes find it awkward having one of my foot on the pedal. I wanted to see if I can put a shut off switch by my knee area to quickly shut it off for emergencies. I may also add stop switches on my bandsaw, drill press, etc.

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
Chris, From what you have said, it seems that what you want is an E-Stop switch (emergency stop). The switch that you have I believe is simply a DPST paddle on/off switch. The reason it is called a safety switch is that it has a removable "key" that prevents someone from "accidentally" turning the machine on. What you have will probably work for what you want if you mount it where you can easily hit the paddle and cut all power to your machine.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most likely white to white and black to black and the green wires get attached together and touching the switch box back plate.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it's just the black on top of black, white on top of white. Green together, don't know if there's a ground lug somewhere on your tool's frame. BTW you guessed right about the green!

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thank you. Answer to your first question is - yes, the wires are already connected. So, I just need to match the other wires. What about the green wire? how and where do i attach them?

I also currently have my lathe attached to a foot pedal but i sometimes find it awkward having one of my foot on the pedal. I wanted to see if I can put a shut off switch by my knee area to quickly shut it off for emergencies. I may also add stop switches on my bandsaw, drill press, etc.

The green wires should be attached to any metal box you install the switch into. Personally, with a lathe, I recommend a pedal as when something goes bad on a lathe, it Happens Fast, and Usually can involve your hands/fingers which can make hitting a switch tough. Moving your foot takes about .02 seconds, compared to 2.5 to find, and hit a switch with your hand, if you hit it the first time. They call it a deadman's switch.
Dave

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all the responses. I had no idea there was a difference between e stop and paddle switch. :D I tried connecting the wiring except for the ground wires and it works!

Dave, you are right. It would be better doing it the same as you which I am already doing. I just need to figure out how to make my setup less awkward.