Congrats, Pedro!!!

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a terrific victory over Dani Sanchez in the round of 32 at the Bursa World Cup event. Even when Dani threw a 15 at him to take a 24-14 lead Pedro just kept plugging away. What a fantastic result for the only American in the event - to eliminate the reigning World Cup Champion and 2nd ranked player in the world. And his average of 2.667 was the second best in the whole round of 32 - second only to Blomdahl's 3.636.

If you have a kozoom subscription the replay is already up and available.

Next up for Pedro is Sameh Sidhom, the promising Egyptian.

Another great match was the Jaspers-Cenet match. Cenet led by a substantial amount most of the way, but got stuck on 39. Jaspers, shooting the white caught up and scored the 40th point. Cenet than had his equalizing inning and made the break shot to tie it and send it into overtime breaks. Jaspers started and ran 4. Cenet then went and matched the 4. So a second round of overtime breaks. This time Jaspers only ran 2, but Cenet missed his second shot and Jaspers survived. There was a similar shootout in the Fordhomme-Tran match.

I'll be getting up at 2 AM my time for first session of the round of 16. First 4 match-ups include Sameh Sayginer on the comeback trail against reigning World Champ Blomdahl, and a rematch of the last World Cup finals with Caudron-Zanetti.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i said id wake up at 4 am for these matches, dont know if i can follow through, too bad
and its always more fun live, i dont much ever feel the want to watch replay matches,
i saw most of the pedro and sanchez match, that was something else

i miss most of them though because they are on when im at work

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pedro beats Sidhom, and is in the final 8 !!!!!!! Go Pedro!!

Holy Cow!! Now he is in the semis after beating Dong Koong Kang in a shootout 8-0.

Go Pedro!!!!

Edited to add: He plays Jaspers in the second semifinal tomorrow at 6 AM eastern time. Caudron-Merkxx is the first semi at 4 AM eastern.

Last edited:

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be up at 6:00 am EST to watch this match. I wish luck to both of them. Now I have to convince a friend to come over and watch it with me.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in a shoot out finish can the second player that tied the match at 40 win the match by making more points in the shoot out than the first player to have scored 40?

I think I'm saying this right.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in a shoot out finish can the second player that tied the match at 40 win the match by making more points in the shoot out than the first player to have scored 40?

I think I'm saying this right.

If the first player gets to 40 first they set up the balls for a break for the 2nd player. Player 2 breaks and shoots until either he misses (in which case he loses) or he runs enough pts. to tie the match.

If the latter, then the first and 2nd players each get to shoot from the opening break position, higher score wins - if tie, repeat.

In the most recent world Championships, Dong Koong Kang, wth the white ball, ran out to lead Blomdahl 40-33. Since Kang shot first they set up the break shot for Blomdalhl and he promptly ran 7 to tie the match In the ensuing overtime, Kang ran something like 4, Then Blomdahl, shooting from the break position, ran one more than that and therefor won even though Kang got to 40 "first".

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just fell short

Well, a great effort by Pedro just fell short, 40-38. Jaspers went out with 40 when Pedro, shooting yellow, only had 31. Pedro ran 7 in the equalizer inning before getting kissed out of #8.

Even getting to that point was remarkable, as he was down 21-7 at the break. After the break he outscored Jaspers 24-19. 31-19 if we count the equalizing inning.

All in all a great result for Pedro and, hopefully, a boost for US billiards

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the first player gets to 40 first they set up the balls for a break for the 2nd player. Player 2 breaks and shoots until either he misses (in which case he loses) or he runs enough pts. to tie the match.

If the latter, then the first and 2nd players each get to shoot from the opening break position, higher score wins - if tie, repeat.

In the most recent world Championships, Dong Koong Kang, wth the white ball, ran out to lead Blomdahl 40-33. Since Kang shot first they set up the break shot for Blomdalhl and he promptly ran 7 to tie the match In the ensuing overtime, Kang ran something like 4, Then Blomdahl, shooting from the break position, ran one more than that and therefor won even though Kang got to 40 "first".

ok. So like baseball where everybody gets the same amount of at bats/innings. good idea. thanks for your answer!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Well, a great effort by Pedro just fell short, 40-38. Jaspers went out with 40 when Pedro, shooting yellow, only had 31. Pedro ran 7 in the equalizer inning before getting kissed out of #8.

Even getting to that point was remarkable, as he was down 21-7 at the break. After the break he outscored Jaspers 24-19. 31-19 if we count the equalizing inning.

All in all a great result for Pedro and, hopefully, a boost for US billiards

Why would you say that match was so slow getting going

Where they playing defensive?
It was puzzling to me

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you say that match was so slow getting going

Where they playing defensive?
It was puzzling to me

In the early going Pedro was playing very conservatively, rolling his cue ball softly up to the red to leave tough positions. One the criticisms of the American style that Bob Byrne has mentioned in his books is the tendency to play too defensively. And so it proved. Jaspers made a tough shot, but then was able to go on a decent run and I think that opened up the game a little from there.

But I could be all wet about that, because these guys play at such a much higher level than anything I ever experienced.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaspers over Caudron in final

Jaspers won the final 40-34, after Caudron failed to make the break shot in his equalizing inning. Ironic, since he won his semi final match when Merckx, his good friend, failed to make the break shot in HIS equalizing inning.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pedro is the man in this country. And this last weekend almost the world. His exposure more regularly to "world ranked" players is ramping up his game in my view. Congratulations Pedro.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pedro is the man in this country. And this last weekend almost the world. His exposure more regularly to "world ranked" players is ramping up his game in my view. Congratulations Pedro.

You have to wonder where Pedro would be if he had the kind of support a guy like Dani Sanchez had, with world class training and instruction from the time he showed talent as a teen. Or the kind of training a guy like Caudron had - following the Ceulmans' path through small game mastery to 3C mastery.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to wonder where Pedro would be if he had the kind of support a guy like Dani Sanchez had, with world class training and instruction from the time he showed talent as a teen. Or the kind of training a guy like Caudron had - following the Ceulmans' path through small game mastery to 3C mastery.
As for the latter, I think Pedro has played balkline.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe Pedro did get early professional training from Luis Doyharzabal. Maybe someone on here knows more about this.