New Cue: Upgrading from House Cues

dalcombright

Registered
I am in the process of starting anew, I am by no means a good pool player, but the plan is to be able to hold my own. This summer I got a pool table (9' Olhausen used) and I am averaging about 6 hours a week on it. In a week or so it is getting re-cushioned (Accu-fast) and also new cloth (Simonis 860). Going to have the wife get me a cue for my birthday coming up and it is scary how much their is to choose from. I want my budget around $150-$250, but would prefer leaning towards $200 or less unless there is a steal of a deal out there.

The only real names I know of sticks sub $400/custom cues are Predator and McDermott, although it seems most Predator's are out of my range. What are people's thoughts on a decent cheaper stick, remember I am just a decent beginner? Also, where do people recommend going for purchasing? Online? Dealer? Not sure I have anything in my area unfortunately

dalcombright

Registered
seyberts is having a black friday sale.

Any thoughts?

https://www.seyberts.com/mcdermott-cue-of-the-month/mcdermott-december-2014-cue-of-the-month/

I was trying to find a "real" price on this item, since obviously it never sold for $500, but wondering if its a solid deal for a beginner/amateur player.

The best way to sum me up is a decent bar room pool player who wants to know more and get better but is just learning about the game (in terms of cues, tables, felt etc etc). AKA, I know nothing about cues.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue, looks like it's worth $229 to me. Was probably around $289 before the sale. I have a Gcore McDermott and like it. Doesn't mean you will though. However Seyberts has an easy return policy.

dalcombright

Registered
Nice looking cue, looks like it's worth $229 to me. Was probably around $289 before the sale. I have a Gcore McDermott and like it. Doesn't mean you will though. However Seyberts has an easy return policy.

I love my dads cue which is a McDermott, although from 1982.

I guess im fuzzy on the G-Core thing, is it wood top to bottom or is the shaft carbon fiber?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wood, then the last 7" at the tip end are wood and carbon fiber. It's a good shaft for the money.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For $250 or less I think a McDermott G-Core cue is a great choice. Nice solid playing cue, good value.