Schon or Pechauer

Armour

Registered
I'm new to the forum, but not to pool.
I have been looking at getting a new pool cue and it is down to Pechauer and Schon.
To be exact it is between the schon cx04 and the pechauer DEC3 50th anniversary edition. I have borrowed a few schons and shot with them and like them, but I have never touched a Pechauer. I wasn't looking at them until I talked to like four different pool cue vendors. I didn't even mention pechauer, but I did tell them I was looking at the schon. I was ready to order the cx04 when I ask the first vendor if there was any other stick they would recommend more and without hesitation he said the pechauer. So I said I needed to think about it and called three other vendors and all three said the same thing without me even mentioning the pechauer. I want to know what thoughts people on here have on the pechauer. I shoot with a Meucci now and wanted to go to a stiffer shaft and feel so I was going to go with schon. What are your thoughts on how the pechauer compares to the schon and vice versa. I was told by three of the four vendors if I was looking for just straight looks that schon make a very pretty cue. If I wanted the best of both worlds then to get a pechauer. They said the craftsmanship on the pechauer was awesome.

Anyway thanks in advance for the help. Anxious to see what people think so I can order one soon.:thumbup:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a dealer for both and have played with both extensively over the years. You can't go wrong either way IMHO. However I would say if you already know you like how the Schon hits and will not have a chance to try out a Pechauer I would go with the Schon. GL

Armour

Registered
So when you are saying I cant go wrong with either one do I take it as they both hit about the same?
I thought about going with the Schon because I have shot with it a few times, but it makes me question why every vendor I talk to picked Pechauer over the Schon. No that I am against Schon at all just curious as to why the Pechauer was picked every time.

I thought about trying the Pechauer because some of the vendors let you try them for 60 days and if you aren't happy return it. I just didn't want to waste my time if there wasn't a chance that I would like. That's why I am curious to how they compare.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have both and this is how it went for ME. Stock shafts/ tips at 12.75m I liked the way the Schon played over the Pechauer ( which had a little better looking woods than the Schon). With Pechauer's 12.75mm laminated shaft I liked the Pechauer better than the Schon. I tried Predator 314-2 shafts on both since Seyberts was blowing them out. Schon with the Predator shaft is now my player. Short answer, out of the box the Schon plays better for me but the Pechauer had more highly figured woods. If you change shafts/ tips etc, it depends and you could likely get either one to suit your game.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two Schon's and a close friend has a Pechauer with the standard shaft. I find they both have similar hit, feel and balance. What I like about the Pech is they have a lot of wrapless cue choices while Schon has only the BW series. If I was buying a steel jointed cue again I'd look to Pechauer, they have some beauties.

Oh. Pech comes standard with a harder tip.

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw your signature and you use Bob Frey SP, how does the Frey compare to the Schons ?

I have two Schon's and a close friend has a Pechauer with the standard shaft. I find they both have similar hit, feel and balance. What I like about the Pech is they have a lot of wrapless cue choices while Schon has only the BW series. If I was buying a steel jointed cue again I'd look to Pechauer, they have some beauties.

Oh. Pech comes standard with a harder tip.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fish, This goes back a few years. Taking lesson's with Randy G and Scott Lee they both push training with the "mother drills" The one I found most helpful was shooting three speeds. I really needed to get my cue/stroke/ball speed under control. I had a very hard time with the Schon, it just had to hard a hit for me to dial back. The Frey Sneaky is 18.8oz. While it has a rather hard tip the "feel and balance" is soft. It is the cue that I shoot with a natural low three speed or high two and I can adjust up or down with pretty good accuracy.

The Frey is my main cue now mostly because of what I feel is the right balance. I pick it up and it just feels right. My Schon with the ivory ferrule is 19.4oz. and I can now control the hit but I have adapted to the Frey completely with one exception. Two friends have tables with VERY slow cloth. That's when I break out the Schon. My GC has 860 and most of the other tables in my retirement neighborhood also are fast.

BTW, when I ordered a second shaft I miked the joint and Bob said it was a bit smaller than most of his cues. My personal cue might shoot a bit softer because of this. I really don't know.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

I'm new to the forum, but not to pool.
I have been looking at getting a new pool cue and it is down to Pechauer and Schon.
To be exact it is between the schon cx04 and the pechauer DEC3 50th anniversary edition. I have borrowed a few schons and shot with them and like them, but I have never touched a Pechauer. I wasn't looking at them until I talked to like four different pool cue vendors. I didn't even mention pechauer, but I did tell them I was looking at the schon. I was ready to order the cx04 when I ask the first vendor if there was any other stick they would recommend more and without hesitation he said the pechauer. So I said I needed to think about it and called three other vendors and all three said the same thing without me even mentioning the pechauer. I want to know what thoughts people on here have on the pechauer. I shoot with a Meucci now and wanted to go to a stiffer shaft and feel so I was going to go with schon. What are your thoughts on how the pechauer compares to the schon and vice versa. I was told by three of the four vendors if I was looking for just straight looks that schon make a very pretty cue. If I wanted the best of both worlds then to get a pechauer. They said the craftsmanship on the pechauer was awesome.

Anyway thanks in advance for the help. Anxious to see what people think so I can order one soon.:thumbup:

The vendors are telling you Pechauer because their trying to sell off their stock or they get them cheaper. Schon is the way to go has a 5-16/14 thread so shafts are easily found and switch from other cue brands like joss or even custom. Pechauer has a weird joint thread and it cost a lot to get extra shaft cause no one else use that weird pin.
Just my two cents plus more tournaments have been won with schon cues than probably any other cue except maybe Meccui.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The vendors are telling you Pechauer because their trying to sell off their stock or they get them cheaper. Schon is the way to go has a 5-16/14 thread so shafts are easily found and switch from other cue brands like joss or even custom. Pechauer has a weird joint thread and it cost a lot to get extra shaft cause no one else use that weird pin.
Just my two cents plus more tournaments have been won with schon cues than probably any other cue except maybe Meccui.

I had a Pechauer. Great playing cue.
I called them and asked what pin size shafts would fit their pin.
The person kind of laughed and said only their shafts would fit.
I sold the cue.
Will never buy another one after the way they laughed at me.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a Pechauer. Great playing cue.
I called them and asked what pin size shafts would fit their pin.
The person kind of laughed and said only their shafts would fit.
I sold the cue.
Will never buy another one after the way they laughed at me.

Maybe I'd never buy from that store again if you felt disrespected, or was it Pechauer direct? Anyway, it seems to me that OB, Predator, McDermott and Jacoby all make shafts with Pechauer joints at no extra charge and their own laminated shafts are decent.
It's quick release and has never bound or loosened on me, works very well. Can't swap shafts is the downside, (but maybe that's an upside). Again, I like my Schons better, but they're close, and it's subjective anyway.

Last edited:

Armour

Registered
I don't think it is because of inventory at least not with Seybert's. The reason I say that is because the Pechauer I wan't they said that they don't carry it and would have it shipped to me directly from Pechauer.
:confused:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jim at cheapcues.com is very good also. They do a lot of Pechauer business if you decide that's the way you want to go.

Armour

Registered
Well I ended up getting the Pechauer. I have 60 days to try it out so I thought I would give it a shot. I got it this past week and the first time I shot with it was this past Friday. I shot in a local singles tournament and won. I then shot in a local doubles tournament Saturday and was two and out. My consistency is not good right now. I know it will take time with any cue that I shoot with. The feel of the cue is so different from my Meucci with a red dot shaft. I mean this cue has a steel joint and is much stiffer feel than my Meucci. Just hitting the ball alone feels totally different. Oh yeah on top of that this cue has a hard layered tip and I had a medium lepro on the Meucci. So really I don't see how I could have made a bigger change really. Ha! The feel for the english is so different and I am off on my speed or how hard I need to hit the cue. Not complaining at all, I just didnt realize how much of a difference it would be. I have been told to stay with it and not give up on it and go back to the Meucci. In the long run that I will be more consistent and better off. I hope that is the case, but it is painful being this inconsistent right now. It's only been shot with twice and I wont give up.

On the other hand the look and craftsmanship are awesome. I mean the look of the cue is much better in person then it is on the pictures. I really like the look of it. Now I just need to get to where I shoot well with the stick and not just look good with the stick. :cool:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it feels wrong to you, you can always change to a softer tip ;) It may just be the key to consistent play if that gives you the familiar feel back :smile: Maybe a kamui soft, kitech medium or a Zan soft would be closer to a Lepro in terms of feel.

Congratulations on your new cue, Pechauer is one the cues I would love to try out for myself, they look nice and so many players like them a lot.

MalibuMike

Banned
Schon with a Tiger Pro-X Shaft!

Its the best thing since McRibs!

Attachments

• 20150227_190541.jpg
    20150227_190541.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 514
Last edited: