Ob 1

Purdman

Banned
I just received an OB 1 shaft that I purchased at the SBE. I gave them a shaft to my Jim Buss Titleist conversion that I had a lizard wrap put on at the show. They use the ring so now I have a matching OB 1 shaft for it. I tried it out last night and can only tell you that it shoots lights out. I loved it before so I don't quite know what words to use to describe it now.
I will just say that out of the several hundred cues that I have owned, it is the best player I have ever had in my hands, bar none. I just want to thank John Schmidt and John at OB 1 for doing an outstanding job. This is just plain unbelievable.
Purdman :)

Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Happy to hear

To steal a line from another poster here.

This thread is worthless without pictures. Come on man let us have a peek.:)

Kevin

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
To steal a line from another poster here.

This thread is worthless without pictures. Come on man let us have a peek.:)

Kevin

What! A picture is needed to describe how a shaft plays? Just what is it that you expect to learn about how the shaft plays by looking at it?

Dick

Justlovecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:
I just received an OB 1 shaft that I purchased at the SBE. I gave them a shaft to my Jim Buss Titlist conversion that I had a lizard wrap put on at the show. They use the ring so now I have a matching OB 1 shaft for it. I tried it out last night and can only tell you that it shoots lights out. I loved it before so I don't quite know what words to use to describe it now.
I will just say that out of the several hundred cues that I have owned, it is the best player I have ever had in my hands, bar none. I just want to thank John Schmidt and John at OB 1 for doing an outstanding job. This is just plain unbelievable.
Happy to know your OB-1 is working for you. I just had Steve Klein fix me up a partial for my cue. He sent it yesterday and I can't wait to try it out. Good to know there is some good feedback from your play with the OB-1.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Easy now

rhncue said:
What! A picture is needed to describe how a shaft plays? Just what is it that you expect to learn about how the shaft plays by looking at it?

Dick

Granted no need for a picture to know how well the shaft plays. The picture would show what a great job they did using Purdman's ringwork and put it on the OB1 shaft to have it match the cue. In addition pictures would show how nice the cue looks with the new lizard wrap installed. How often do you see a titleist with a lizard wrap. In summary us true cue lovers like to see pictures of cues so what's the harm in asking? Right Purdman?

Kevin

Purdman

Banned
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Granted no need for a picture to know how well the shaft plays. The picture would show what a great job they did using Purdman's ringwork and put it on the OB1 shaft to have it match the cue. In addition pictures would show how nice the cue looks with the new lizard wrap installed. How often do you see a titleist with a lizard wrap. In summary us true cue lovers like to see pictures of cues so what's the harm in asking? Right Purdman?

Kevin

Kevin my man, you are absolutely correct. I will go down in the basement and shoot a couple pictures right now. I will post in a few minutes. I will include my Andy Gilbert and Mike Webb Titleist too. :) Throw in a couple of nice cases and BAM! Extra spicy for ya.
Right Purdman :)
That was quick.

Last edited:

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now those ( cues / cases ) are nice !

Wow,

Thanks for posting the pics. Your OB1 shafts rings look great.

Nice collection you have there you lucky dog ;)

Tommyd1

Purdman

Banned
Tommyd1 said:
Wow,

Thanks for posting the pics. Your OB1 shafts rings look great.

Nice collection you have there you lucky dog ;)

Tommyd1

Thanks Tommyd. The Webb was a gift. :eek: The Buss is still on his web page. Jim made it in 1998. I sold the Gilbert 2 weeks ago (made in 2002) and bought it back this week. It's loaded with Ivory and only hit a few balls. Picked up the Thomas case from Bamacues a week ago. The two Justice cases belong to my wife and myself.

johntaggz88

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm I keep thinking about buying this shaft but I already like my 314-2 that I have on my cue. Would you recommend this shaft to someone that currently uses a 314-2 but wants to try something that might perform better?

Purdman

Banned
johntaggz88 said:
Hmm I keep thinking about buying this shaft but I already like my 314-2 that I have on my cue. Would you recommend this shaft to someone that currently uses a 314-2 but wants to try something that might perform better?

To be honest with you, I am not fond of Predator shafts. I have had several and re tipped many. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of friends that love them. It is a matter of personnel preference. If you are happy with your shaft, that's what you should play with. I would try one before I went out and purchased on.
JMHO, Purdman :)

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
johntaggz88 said:

I have tried an OB-1 and a predator 314-2 (well, 3 of them actually). I currently use a 314-2 and the OB-1 has been sold. They both play well but the OB has a much softer hit. The 314-2 has a better feel to me, but you have to try both to know what works for you.

johntaggz88

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schwinn said:
I have tried an OB-1 and a predator 314-2 (well, 3 of them actually). I currently use a 314-2 and the OB-1 has been sold. They both play well but the OB has a much softer hit. The 314-2 has a better feel to me, but you have to try both to know what works for you.

Yeah, I kept hearing about the softer hit on the OB-1. I'm trying to lean towards a stiffer/harder hit actually since I went from a Moori III soft to a Kamui Medium on my 314-2. I was going to put a Kamui Hard on an OB-1 to compensate for the hit but now I think i might just stick with my shaft because of the feel. I used to like the soft hit but now the stiffer hit seems to shoot better for me and seems to feel better.

Purdman

Banned
johntaggz88 said:
Yeah, I kept hearing about the softer hit on the OB-1. I'm trying to lean towards a stiffer/harder hit actually since I went from a Moori III soft to a Kamui Medium on my 314-2. I was going to put a Kamui Hard on an OB-1 to compensate for the hit but now I think i might just stick with my shaft because of the feel. I used to like the soft hit but now the stiffer hit seems to shoot better for me and seems to feel better.

As a guy who has a lathe and installed around 500 tips, I find that the tip makes all the difference in the hit/feel of a cue. Yeah, the ferrule, joint, and integrity of the shaft wood also come into play in this picture, but the tip has quite an effect. JMHO
PS: I like a softer hit. Been playing with Moori Med. for years.

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome Purd! I'm eagerly awaiting my OB-1 from SBE! I ordered a 30" and cannot wait for it to arrive!

I played with every pred shaft, had a couple 314-2s, experimented with tips, wanted to believe it was better for me and it really wasn't. I became used to them, but found I actually shot better with a standard maple shaft. Then at SBE I tried the preds again, and jumped from pred booth to OB booth to tiger, and compared all 3 back to back. Predator almost shunned me there to be honest. Tiger's Giddy was the man, I gotta say. Extremely friendly and helpful. But I was sold when I watched john schmidt shoot a few with the OB shaft on my cue. The tiger ultra X shaft does hit really nice. If you like a stiff hit comparing the pred to the OB-1, don't rule out the tiger, you might like it better than the pred.

Hey purd, you said mike gave it to you? You ever come around the albany, NY area?

Last edited:

Purdman

Banned
LoGiC said:
Awesome Purd! I'm eagerly awaiting my OB-1 from SBE! I ordered a 30" and cannot wait for it to arrive!

I played with every pred shaft, had a couple 314-2s, experimented with tips, wanted to believe it was better for me and it really wasn't. I became used to them, but found I actually shot better with a standard maple shaft. Then at SBE I tried the preds again, and jumped from pred booth to OB booth to tiger, and compared all 3 back to back. Predator almost shunned me there to be honest. Tiger's Giddy was the man, I gotta say. Extremely friendly and helpful. But I was sold when I watched john schmidt shoot a few with the OB shaft on my cue. The tiger ultra X shaft does hit really nice. If you like a stiff hit comparing the pred to the OB-1, don't rule out the tiger, you might like it better than the pred.

Hey purd, you said mike gave it to you? You ever come around the albany, NY area?

I met Mike at the 2006 US Open. We talk by phone a couple times a month. I am in VA near Washington, D.C.
Purd :)