Cue alignment

jabstroke

Registered
I have been missing a lot of straight in shots. When i take a closer look when down on my shot, my cue is pointing half a tip to the right. I tried to correct it by turning my body to the left so my cue stick will point straight but looking down im no longer aiming straight. When i try to move my shooting arm away from my body so the cue will point straight it feels awkward. Any tips on how to correct it?

fy1017

Registered
What helped me get a good stroke is doing a drill from IPAT instruction videos.
Here is a link that talk about the stoke and the line up to your shot.
The man in the video is doing what the IPAT video is doing to develop a good stand, alignment and stroke. The only difference is in his video he states that pocketing the ball does not matter. In the IPAT video it does matter, that is how you know if your alignment is correct. Doing this drill helped me with alignment and having my arm not chicken winging.
I would help new pool players with this and old timers watching think it is stupid. Thorsten Hohmann has a video on this also with Mike Masses and Thorsten explains on how he used it to develop his stroke. Hope this helps.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyRZ7Xx_xuY

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I have been missing a lot of straight in shots. When i take a closer look when down on my shot, my cue is pointing half a tip to the right. I tried to correct it by turning my body to the left so my cue stick will point straight but looking down im no longer aiming straight. When i try to move my shooting arm away from my body so the cue will point straight it feels awkward. Any tips on how to correct it?

I know this one. Free lesson--no obligation, let's take 30 minutes and fix this. Send me a PM.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Give this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPn3Wzp4NT8

John

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten's method of alignment was actually first brought out by Bert Kinister in his Advanced Fundamentals video tape years before. He also has some exercises to get the player used to this alignment method, including shooting shots one handed.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to have a stance that allows clearance for your cuestick. Since you have some sort of stroke flaw (most likely a grip issue), naturally it is going to "feel" strange or awkward when trying to correct something. Get some video analysis from a qualified instructor to identify what your stroke errors are...and how to correct them. It may well be a problem with your stroke, rather than the way you are aligning to the shot. Most students who come to me for problems aiming or aligning to the shot, can't move the cuestick in a straight line. Fix the stroke flaws and for many, those other issues go away.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for nothing, but Thorsten was a world champion long before he met Bert!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thorsten's method of alignment was actually first brought out by Bert Kinister in his Advanced Fundamentals video tape years before. He also has some exercises to get the player used to this alignment method, including shooting shots one handed.