Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The latest small town barn find - a new, never used set made in China and marketed as American Heritage. This one they call the Heirloom Edition and if you close, you can see why: their overall ball design is going off of the first Brunswick Centennial design, except these have the darts nearly pointed. Yes, we will all most likely refer to these as knock-offs and are indeed quite inferior of course to the Aramith-produced Centennials, but nevertheless it is yet another example of someone always tweaking a design element here and there to call their own.

76c782f95faad184c3ed41678bfe641b.jpg

Surprisingly, they roll dead straight and true with no roll-off. They take contact well with nary an impact mark and polish up quite easily. Overall, not a bad set for the budget minded folks or somewhat eccentric ball collector

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone identify where this cueball comes from? 2 1/8 inch

Attachments

• 20170618_095544.jpg
    20170618_095544.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, gentlemen. :)

Sincere apologies for not contributing in a while, and many thanks indeed to everyone for keeping the thread alive with such interesting new additions.

Just one small postscript to the Guinness balls shown above. As mentioned, they crop up every six months or so over here in England but hardly ever on American websites to the best of my knowledge. I have seen just one, in fact, and my good friend K2K quickly snaffled that up for his wonderful collection.

If any of my fellow enthusiasts in the US yearn to own one of these beautiful Guinness sets, I'd be happy to scour the British and Irish markets on your behalf and ship a box across the Atlantic. The current rate is 33 GBP for a 48 hour fully tracked service with UPS. Just a thought. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
It's very saddening to note that some contributors' images on this thread have been lost due to the ongoing Photobucket problems.

What a damned shame! :(

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, K2K. I hope you are well, sir.

I love that orange and purple Bonus Ball set. Tell me, are there matching logos on the reverse of the balls?

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Skip.

A interesting question, sir, but as a collector of such things I would have to answer yes, purely because that is the price unused, pristine sets (in an original box with pamphlet) tend to achieve on the rare occasions they become available. From that point of view these balls might prove to be a wise investment as mint condition examples are only going to get more difficult to find. I've seen play-worn sets of Raschigs, without original box, sell for $375.

Us collectors can be a strange breed. I have one or two sets for which I can honestly swear that double this figure would not tempt me to sell (the poker balls on page one for instance).

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I guess it's something like stamp collecting: paying half a million dollars for a tiny piece of paper to keep in a drawer seems like madness... until you sell it to somebody else for a million, of course! :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning, K2K. I hope you are well, sir.

I love that orange and purple Bonus Ball set. Tell me, are there matching logos on the reverse of the balls?

Best wishes,
RC.

Hello, Rubik's!

Both boxes of the newest generation and "official" Bonus Ball sets that I have in the collection only possess one logo per ball.

This latest "expanded" set I picked up directly from Max Eberle is a fun alternative to the myriad ways of playing 8-Ball :)

ff6d8e0e0c2f2a25b7504b37a08a18cf.jpg

Of course the forefather to the latest Bonus Ball iteration is the Bonus Ball 99 set:

d1bd79817f886f986ef950aeff5a01ea.jpg

And their first version had no logos...

85eea357d22480661ed1bb642305dc70.jpg

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://i66.tinypic.com/auv68w.jpg[/

I'm quite certain you'll appreciate this game story from early last month, dear Rubik's, when I used a set of flawless Guinness black and whites that you took from your very own collection last year and sent to me across the Atlantic (since there wasn't one set to be found within 10,000 miles of Texas) and I paired it with another set of "Guinnies" I nabbed this spring to play BOTH sets on the baize simultaneously in a game of crossfire confusion.

We racked one set of the magical striped black and whites along with one 8-ball and at the opposite end racked all 14 solid blacks with it's 8-ball....then using both identical cueballs, broke simultaneously.... with all made object balls spotted, and the winner of the pill draw getting to shoot first until missing or playing safe. The game winner needed to pocket his full set of 14 plus an 8-ball using whichever cue ball he chose at the beginning of his turn. The wager was $50

I had at hand (of course) ice cold Guinness offerings of their Blonde American Lager, Nitro IPA, Rye Pale Ale, Golden Ale and a singular rare Irish Wheat to celebrate the Guinness game and their start of great beer in 1759.

Seeing 14 of the bold striped black and whites amongst the 14 all-blacks with accompanying 8-balls and two cue balls on the baize was a sight to behold ---- making one think the fabled Guinness beer magic was causing us to see double from the get-go!

A most sincere "thank you!" yet again for your selfless act of kindness shared across the miles, Rubik's, by getting a set of these beauties to me for the collection and allowing me to share with friends - and now foe (that lost that crazy crossfire confusion match for $50). I'll get him back to the poolroom when I have another Guinness shoot-out he says :-)

I'll get pics next time

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
You're more than welcome, sir. :)

Crossfire certainly sounds like a fun game, I'm sure your buddy wasn't too vexed to find himself in the losers' bracket this time around considering the fine surroundings and free beer!

I'm endeavouring to buy up all the available Guinness sets whenever possible (two and counting so far) as not only are they rather elegant to my eye, I'm convinced the balls are destined to be a classic of the future. In searching for an example for your good self last year I got in touch with the brewery's marketing manager in Dublin, who informed me that the Guinness pool balls were only offered for sale during their 250th anniversary year of 2009. Any boxes left over were then remaindered to discount store, TK Maxx, and will not be produced again.

They might never, perhaps, attain the value, prestige or desirability of the Raschigs pictured above, but so few sets were made I'm damned sure that they are a sound investment at anything under 100 GBP.

Best wishes,
RC. :)

Last edited:

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi! Fantastic sets and thread. I need some help confirming what this set is. Glow in the dark? Not sure because the green doesn't pop. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 350

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Knels, always a pleasure to welcome a new collector to the thread. :)

It looks rather like a vintage Premier set, sir, as evidenced by the straight underlining of the six and nine. One or two of the balls are newer replacements, perhaps?

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited: