Willie Mosconi's first world championship

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, after looking into this a little, I'm less dubious. This championship was evidently based on league play. Below is the summary page from Charlie Ursitti's website. It is clear that if the shot was played in the final match between Ponzi and Mosconi, the outcome was foregone conclusion -- Mosconi had too large a lead for that match to make any difference. Unfortunately the individual match scores are not available on Ursitti's site.

Mosconi finished third (under protest) in the normal round-robin that was later in 1941 behind Crane and Rudolph (1st).

Wee Willie?

CropperCapture[9].jpg

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I've seen this on YouTube before...I'm pretty sure that it was a televised/dramatized exhibition demonstrating the shot from their match played some time much earlier than the tv show...the clip I saw had a lot of side story on his son being born while he was playing. There was some back in forth, with a change of inning or two, and Willie rolled safe and had to pull out a crazy multi-rail kick to win the frame and the match. It was pretty clear in the longer clip that it was a dramatization.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Given Willie's huge margin of victory in that event, winning 32 more games than the second-place finisher, the caption on the YouTube video is a bit hyperbolic.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It's a well known trick shot. I'm tempted to call bs on this whole thing. It's not impossible that it's true, but I really doubt it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a well known trick shot. ....
Well, yeah, now it is. How about in 1941?

One story was that Willie had been playing a lot of 3-cushion (with Hoppe?) and had a good feeling for the angles so he took a flyer.

It's not bad as a proposition shot if the table is reasonably fast. I've made money on the shot.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you guys see the part where each man played each man 32 times each! Yikes. If I did the math right, that is 32*7 = 224 matches per player, over 5 months. How in the world was that scheduled! Where were the matches played? How were the 8 players chosen?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you guys see the part where each man played each man 32 times each! Yikes. If I did the math right, that is 32*7 = 224 matches per player, over 5 months. How in the world was that scheduled! Where were the matches played? How were the 8 players chosen?

Yes, 224 games per player, for a total of 896 games. [The Procita record in post #3 above must be wrong, as it adds to 234 games for him. Probably 117 wins and 107 losses to make it all add up correctly.]

Mosconi's autobiography has several pages on this event. The format was what he calls an Intercity League tournament, a format introduced the previous year (1940) by Brunswick-Balke-Collender.

Each player was sponsored by a pool hall, not necessarily one in his home town. The players were invited (by Brunswick?). The 1940 event had 6 players. Ponzi won and Caras was second; Willie was not invited.

In 1941 they expanded it to 8 players, including Willie (age 27), who was sponsored by McGirr's Academy in NYC. They played 2 games per day for 5 days a week (excluding holidays) for 24 weeks, in 6 different cities. Willie said "it was "the longest tournament in billiard history, and none since has come close." Each player and sponsoring room worked out their own financial deal, with the player being on salary for the duration of the event. The rooms charged admission fees.

Willie's co-author, Stanley Cohen, writes: "It was, all told, an astonishing performance and it propelled Willie onto the center of a stage reserved for only a handful of sports celebrities. Every crease and crevice of his past was scoured for the telling detail that would illuminate the secret of what was now being described as a supernatural gift. ... He had exploded on the scene as a fully crafted hero, and he had all the ingredients to satisfy the image."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, 224 games per player, for a total of 896 games. [The Procita record in post #3 above must be wrong, as it adds to 234 games for him. Probably 117 wins and 107 losses to make it all add up correctly.]
When Irish dropped out of the league, the remaining players split 102 wins from forfeits. It seems to me that they should have just erased his record. If the race had been closer it could have depended on who had not played him much.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When Irish dropped out of the league, the remaining players split 102 wins from forfeits. It seems to me that they should have just erased his record. If the race had been closer it could have depended on who had not played him much.

I agree. If Irish had already played each of the other players the same number of games, then it might be fine to do what they did. But that was not the situation.