good practice to increase mental concentration for 14.1

mmasou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just thought I'd share this. I find it is a pretty good practiice especially for people beginning to play 14.1 , or who are struggling with concentration and are finding themselves missing easy balls too often than they should.

spread 15 balls on the table try not to leave any balls touching each other in a tough spot. try to run all of them in any order, then spread 15 balls again and continue the run. try to see how many you can make in a row, week by week you should improve considerably, and learn to choose the right shots.

it also gives extra motivation to make a lot of balls in a row because the table is wide open each time.

I found this to be a very rewarding exercise, in fact i would never imagine to run so many balls and managed to run over 200. this gives also confidence and then once one is able to achieve a high result then they can incorporate 14.1 into their practice.

if one can run an open table high run then the only thing keeping them from doing so in 14.1 is the knowledge to choose the right spots, because they would have acquired the experience and knowledge of having a high run and learn not to miss on easy shots and stay down and keep a routine no matter how easy the shot is.

of course besides all this one should work on their fundamentals try not to move their body, make sure cue is level , stroke it right. i've still got my issues and always improvement to do.

im not here to boast myself but i'm pretty excited by this because i believe in this practice and thought I should share it for other people who are feeling maybe they hit a wall and can't get past a certain result.

here's what can be achieved. i only could get to like 50 or 60 only a month ago. then got my first 100+, then suddenly this 200+ happened;
https://www.facebook.com/100014330466400/videos/202855043535510/

also I'd like to hear from the more experienced people out there what they think of this exercise.

mmasou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the more skilled players you can add clusters to increase difficulty. i've done this myself but found myself ending runs , having to focus too much on the clusters, missing a cluster by a few inches , etc.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just thought I'd share this. I find it is a pretty good practiice especially for people beginning to play 14.1 , or who are struggling with concentration and are finding themselves missing easy balls too often than they should.

spread 15 balls on the table try not to leave any balls touching each other in a tough spot. try to run all of them in any order, then spread 15 balls again and continue the run. try to see how many you can make in a row, week by week you should improve considerably, and learn to choose the right shots.

it also gives extra motivation to make a lot of balls in a row because the table is wide open each time.

I found this to be a very rewarding exercise, in fact i would never imagine to run so many balls and managed to run over 200. this gives also confidence and then once one is able to achieve a high result then they can incorporate 14.1 into their practice.

if one can run an open table high run then the only thing keeping them from doing so in 14.1 is the knowledge to choose the right spots, because they would have acquired the experience and knowledge of having a high run and learn not to miss on easy shots and stay down and keep a routine no matter how easy the shot is.

of course besides all this one should work on their fundamentals try not to move their body, make sure cue is level , stroke it right. i've still got my issues and always improvement to do.

im not here to boast myself but i'm pretty excited by this because i believe in this practice and thought I should share it for other people who are feeling maybe they hit a wall and can't get past a certain result.

here's what can be achieved. i only could get to like 50 or 60 only a month ago. then got my first 100+, then suddenly this 200+ happened;
https://www.facebook.com/100014330466400/videos/202855043535510/

also I'd like to hear from the more experienced people out there what they think of this exercise.

The other wrinkle you can add to this exercise is to try and run them without touching a rail.

Lou Figueroa

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or instead of throwing balls around table set up a rack of 14 place break ball anywhere and cue ball in hand for each rack

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or instead of throwing balls around table set up a rack of 14 place break ball anywhere and cue ball in hand for each rack

I do this on the 1st rack and then try and set up a key ball and break ball during the process of clearing each rack, just as in a game, and count the run from that. So if I get out of line and can't continue the run through the break, I start over on everything.

Misses usually come from one of the easist shots, from lack of focus I guess.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^ I think this is more realistic, and is a better "overall" drill IMHO

but every different drill helps a different part of your game....

spreading the balls wide open will help you run more balls, so its a good drill to learn how to maintain focus during longer runs (as the OP stated).

Its also a good drill to learn how NOT to run into balls that already have a pocket...at some point while running a rack of 14.1, the remaining balls will all be open, from that point on you have to learn not to bump the balls and mess up a good thing....

Overall, I think its far better to incorporate many different drills into your practice, otherwise you are working on certain skills and not others....kinda like going to the gym and only doing bench press....helpful, yes, but you gotta do pull ups as well (etc, etc)