Pocket sizes for a 9' table, sort of a poll.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I asked this in the Pool Table structure forum but I am curious what the instructors think about this subject. I have 4.5" corners and 4 & 5/8" side pockets on my Brunswick Anniversary with new rails and SuperSpeed cushions. Definitely sure the side pockets will be changed to 5" or more shortly and I'm wondering if I should enlarge the corners while the mechanic is here doing the work before recovering the rails??
My teacher's table has 5" corners and 5.5" sides and he thinks I made a huge mistake making the pockets tighter than that. He teaches to divide the pocket up into 5 sections to acquire different shape positions. He says on my table, about 3 paths into the pocket would be all that is available. Seems to be an important point to consider.
Please respond with your thoughts and ideas and tell me how you would set up your personal table at home.
Thanks,

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I asked this in the Pool Table structure forum but I am curious what the instructors think about this subject. I have 4.5" corners and 4 & 5/8" side pockets on my Brunswick Anniversary with new rails and SuperSpeed cushions. Definitely sure the side pockets will be changed to 5" or more shortly and I'm wondering if I should enlarge the corners while the mechanic is here doing the work before recovering the rails??
My teacher's table has 5" corners and 5.5" sides and he thinks I made a huge mistake making the pockets tighter than that. He teaches to divide the pocket up into 5 sections to acquire different shape positions. He says on my table, about 3 paths into the pocket would be all that is available. Seems to be an important point to consider.
Please respond with your thoughts and ideas and tell me how you would set up your personal table at home.
Thanks,
i am not an instructor but i dont think you will play much competition on a 5 inch pocket and it could get you sloppy
however if you are accurate enought to shoot to 5 zones of the pocket
than competition even on a 3 and 1/8 pocket wont bother you because the middle zone will still be bigger than the holland tunnel.....:grin:
i too wonder what the instructors will say

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like zero interest in this subject. I am surprised. One renowned teacher did PM that he'd order a Diamond with 4.5" pockets for a home table. Still the question remains: is it better to rattle balls with something less than a pure shot? Does that knowledge sharpen one's concentration or does it take a toll on his confidence?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like zero interest in this subject. I am surprised. One renowned teacher did PM that he'd order a Diamond with 4.5" pockets for a home table. Still the question remains: is it better to rattle balls with something less than a pure shot? Does that knowledge sharpen one's concentration or does it take a toll on his confidence?

since no instructor chimed in
i would rather work on being more accurate than
than over estimating my skill level
jmho