Want to buy a Gold Crown and trick it out...What do I do?

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be seriously in the market for a Gold Crown a month from now. I have limited it to either a 1 or a 4. My dream would be to restore a 1 in the blue color with Tournament Blue Simonis. I also happen to like 4s for their more streamlined features with flush corner castings and no counters.

With some research I've found that I want the rails extended for 4.5" corners and 5" sides. Not sure of the best cushion material. Getting RKC out for the whole job seems unlikely. So far it seems like Mark Gregory is a great candidate for the rail extension. For this I'd have to send the rails out. Which I'm not opposed to but is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that can do this correctly? Is there anything else I need to do to a Gold Crown other than getting the rails done and a correct assembly? Any pro or con to a 1 over a 4 or vice-versa?

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I'll be seriously in the market for a Gold Crown a month from now. I have limited it to either a 1 or a 4. My dream would be to restore a 1 in the blue color with Tournament Blue Simonis. I also happen to like 4s for their more streamlined features with flush corner castings and no counters.

With some research I've found that I want the rails extended for 4.5" corners and 5" sides. Not sure of the best cushion material. Getting RKC out for the whole job seems unlikely. So far it seems like Mark Gregory is a great candidate for the rail extension. For this I'd have to send the rails out. Which I'm not opposed to but is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that can do this correctly? Is there anything else I need to do to a Gold Crown other than getting the rails done and a correct assembly? Any pro or con to a 1 over a 4 or vice-versa?

This is the most mint Gold Crown I've ever seen!

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/6131876075.html

00u0u_hTiPKfe51yS_600x450.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Jerimy Chambers (708) 574-9888, He is the best in your area. I personally like the 4's best. Flush castings and pockets. No nameplate or counters. Leveling system built into the frame. Superspeed Cushions are a factory fit. Extending the subrail is the only mod needed. Some people will say "the subrails need to be cut off and replaced".... Not sure why anyone would do this since the cushions are an exact match to the subrail. Never hear anyone say they didnt like the way a GC4 plays. Just my $.02 cents. :) Good luck to you!

Trent from Toledo

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerimy Chambers (yes...Jerimy with an "I") is a mechanic who's shop is in New Lennox. He's not only highly respected in Chicagoland, but all over the Midwest. He did a sub - rail extension on my GC4 and reduced the corners to 4.3/8. The sides are 5.0. I couldn't be happier with them. You'll be just as happy at 4.5. Put his name into "Search" You'll find his phone number somewhere. That's how I did it 3 years ago.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerimy Chambers (708) 574-9888, He is the best in your area. I personally like the 4's best. Flush castings and pockets. No nameplate or counters. Leveling system built into the frame. Superspeed Cushions are a factory fit. Extending the subrail is the only mod needed. Some people will say "the subrails need to be cut off and replaced".... Not sure why anyone would do this since the cushions are an exact match to the subrail. Never hear anyone say they didnt like the way a GC4 plays. Just my $.02 cents. :) Good luck to you!

Trent from Toledo

Thanks for the recommendation. I have similar feelings about the 4's and have many hours playing on them. Probably the wisest choice but I like that look of the 1's. I have a few I'm going to end up with a 4.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 4 and the flush trim os pissing me off...there isnt much flat space on the rails, so the chalk slides off onto the floor.

And i now have a puppy that has developed a taste for chalk.

Dumbass (the dog, not i!).

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Check with Mark, i know he has a mint condition blue GC1.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I have a 4 and the flush trim os pissing me off...there isnt much flat space on the rails, so the chalk slides off onto the floor.

And i now have a puppy that has developed a taste for chalk.

Dumbass (the dog, not i!).

On the plus side, the chalky dog rockets won't slip off the shovel during toot duty.

Check with Mark, i know he has a mint condition blue GC1.

My GC 1 is gone.... its just hilarious how all these guys answering on here about rails know so much......how to rebuild rails....witch tables play better.....lmao
These guys are just using this forum for their own platform to promote work they truly know very little about.....but know enough to answer so as to have the guy asking believe what there're saying.

Guys like Glen and I have been doing this work on rails and tables forever.....the guys on here are just getting the answers from Glen or who ever and are just repeating what someone told them.....that way they make it sound like they know what there're speaking of.......and some want to know why I don't post on here anymore......I can't take the lies and bullshit from the ones answering.

Mark Gregory

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a1964 Brunswick Viscount which I have been told by others here, that the top is a GC1 on top. I tricked mine out but more on the cosmetic side. New polished bronze corners and levelers, K55 rails, Simonis tournament 760, and total paint and sculpture.

Most important, it plays great!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The Brunswick Superspeed cushion and GC4 go hand in hand. The cushion fits the table perfectly. I am a Brunswick fan and always will be. That being said, I know they have testing facilities and LOTS of money to do research on their products. I love the GC4 and as I said before they are my favorite tables of the series. Having worked on/ restored and played on many, I am confident in my knowledge concerning them. Some people may think their way is better than Brunswicks, but, I am always going to trust a company that has been making pool tables since 1845. I have never heard anyone complain about the way they play. Extending the subrails is by far any sort of rocket science....

I do know this about being a professional at anything: If you claim your designs are better, back it up with facts, not "because I said so" ..... PROVE YOUR WORK. Explain why your work is better in terms that everyone else can understand. Exact angles, measurements, research, testing and all of the details why. In other words FACTS. Someone saying they have been doing this forever does not prove anything.

PoppaSaun

Banned
My GC 1 is gone.... its just hilarious how all these guys answering on here about rails know so much......how to rebuild rails....witch tables play better.....lmao
These guys are just using this forum for their own platform to promote work they truly know very little about.....but know enough to answer so as to have the guy asking believe what there're saying.

Guys like Glen and I have been doing this work on rails and tables forever.....the guys on here are just getting the answers from Glen or who ever and are just repeating what someone told them.....that way they make it sound like they know what there're speaking of.......and some want to know why I don't post on here anymore......I can't take the lies and bullshit from the ones answering.

Mark Gregory

If you've been doing it forever, and I expect you are less than forever old, it must not take much to learn how to do it.

If you've been doing it forever, and I expect you are less than forever old, it must not take much to learn how to do it.

I'm 60 and been working on tables for about 30 yrs....so if you think it don't take long to figure things out about rails....your not understanding about tables.

Brunswick makes comes out with a new GC table every 10 yrs.....they skipped on the GC 2 because it was really the same table as the 1......just fixed some problems they figured out when the 1 showed problems.
The 3 ran for 20 yrs cause they sold so many table when the movie color of money came out.....the 4 ran from 97 - 07 and had a lot of problems.

I helped design the 5 which I believe is the best GC ever made by far.

The 6 is coming out this spring so I hear.....didn't have anything to do with the design.....I can't wait to see the design.....just might be awesome....I'm sure the fixes on the frame and castings and others things on the 5...I don't see Brunswick making change to those.....I hope.

Mark Gregory

The Brunswick Superspeed cushion and GC4 go hand in hand. The cushion fits the table perfectly. I am a Brunswick fan and always will be. That being said, I know they have testing facilities and LOTS of money to do research on their products. I love the GC4 and as I said before they are my favorite tables of the series. Having worked on/ restored and played on many, I am confident in my knowledge concerning them. Some people may think their way is better than Brunswicks, but, I am always going to trust a company that has been making pool tables since 1845. I have never heard anyone complain about the way they play. Extending the subrails is by far any sort of rocket science....

I do know this about being a professional at anything: If you claim your designs are better, back it up with facts, not "because I said so" ..... PROVE YOUR WORK. Explain why your work is better in terms that everyone else can understand. Exact angles, measurements, research, testing and all of the details why. In other words FACTS. Someone saying they have been doing this forever does not prove anything.

First off...the GC 3 and GC4.....will take the cushions just fine......no one said they wouldn't.
Brunswick designed the table for those cushions.....so you think you know something because the super speed cushions Brunswick designed for the tables can go back without modification........boy.....are you smart....lol
Of course they would fit.....no one said they wouldn't......just like diamond uses Artemis cushions for there tables......and they fit changing to the same cushions......but I wonder why if I'm not understanding rails or cushions.....why would Brunswick contact me about rails....why would Greg Sullivan come to my shop and ask about how to make his tables play better......but why would you believe anyone one.....u flip tables like people flip houses.....I have enough guys telling customers they do as good as work on rails Mark and Glen....but I can't charge as much cause I don't have the reputation they have so charge less.

You really think your going to talk me into showing you or Jack on this site what I do different to rails than Brunswick and diamond so you guys can do rails the way I do.
Glen likes to do that.....call him maybe he will tell ya what you guys need to know.

What you guys don't get is........people don't want the tables to play like they come from the factory.......they want them to play better.......and that's what I do.

The Proof is in the play of my tables.....find one I did and play on it....No one should go by what I say.....judge for yourself.....don't listen to the ones that had such and such do his rails for half price and my table plays better than any in the world.

Trust me they all say that.....stoking their own egos....thay know no one is ever coming to their house to play on their table but them...

.so they can tell any story they want......but you can take this to the bank.... then if all those key board commandos could strap their tables to their back like they do their cues and bring them to the pool room to show off how their table plays to everyone.......I would have a waiting list from here to China.......that's how much better my tables play then the ones you have fix and sale.

I'm not giving specs....I'm not teaching anyone......been there and done that.....got me nowhere.
Just as this forum is getting me....nowhere....I've got plenty of work in my shop right now.

Restoring anniversary and centennial tables.....plus 6-7 sets of rails.....and I'm on this joke site......I'm out good luck....the future on AZ is all yours.....enjoy.lol

Mark Gregory

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks for all the infinite wisdom and charm! You keep saying you are not going to post on here anymore and can't seem to stop coming on here bashing anyone you can.

Whether you believe it or not, there are others out there that care about doing good work and making their clients happy. I am always busy and my clients are always happy to pay me when I am done with their projects!

Trent from Toledo

Over 50 Brunswick restorations and counting ! :)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks for all the infinite wisdom and charm! You keep saying you are not going to post on here anymore and can't seem to stop coming on here bashing anyone you can.

Whether you believe it or not, there are others out there that care about doing good work and making their clients happy. I am always busy and my clients are always happy to pay me when I am done with their projects!

Trent from Toledo

Over 50 Brunswick restorations and counting ! :)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums
Are those GC4 rails straight when they come from the factory ?
Or you have to tweak them ?
Are their face and down angles consistent?
How do you correct them ? Mill or router or table saw?