Gus Szamboti 70's

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok..........Several dozen people were willing to help me estimate the fair value for this cue and I thank them all for the help. Throwing out the lowest and the highest gave me a range of $10,000-$18,000. I was informed that the market is lower now than it was a few years ago It doesn't make sense to me to sell in a down market and also at the lower end of the range, sort of a double whammy, especially with many people telling me how rare this one is, etc. I have decided to offer it at the high end of the range which is $18,000. I realize this certainly lowers the number of potential buyers because not many people have this kind of cash. If it does not sell I will put it back in the bank and wait 10 years and see where the market is then. Thanks again for all the help. To recap, this is my Gus Szamboti that I ordered in the 1976 area with 3 shafts, 58 1/2 inches with pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/147088882@N02/albums/72157679608318555

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I like the way you think Lopdog.....the vultures have been throwing that 'it's a down market' conversation out there for a decade. Yes the economy was bad in 2007 but in 2017 it is not. Get top dollar for your cue or I wouldn't sell it. I get the impression it isn't "life changing" money for you so just hold tight til you find the right buyer. When you do, if you haven't sold online before -- get coached on how to do it right.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless it is an emergency, I wouldnt sell the cue.

Once it is gone, its gone. Money comes and money goes.

Hang on to things that matter my brother.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Unless it is an emergency, I wouldnt sell the cue.

Once it is gone, its gone. Money comes and money goes.

Hang on to things that matter my brother.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

I was thinking the same thing ...

Ched

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, it appears that this is winding down. The interest in the posts on AZB is interesting in and of itself as the post is active for a few days and then simply fades away. I received a few hundred messages from people regarding this Gus Szamboti and received a lot of help from many of you on what the value is and for that I am thankful. The pictures i posted were viewed over 1,000 times so a lot of people got to see the cue which is a good thing. I am now going to put the cue back in the bank since my price was not met but I am going to do something that I wish others would do and that is share the pricing information. I always hated it when i would see something on the internet that i was interested in such as a guitar for $5,000 and then a few weks later I would go back and check to see what happened and all you get is that it was sold but nobody ever tells you what it sold for. So I am going to reveal that the highest bid I received was $12,000 and in this way everyone can get a good idea of what the interest this quality of cue at this exact point in time generates. Hopefully, this is a useful bit of information for the community. Thanks again to everyone for all the help

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
You have an offer of 12K? If you're not attached.. sell it and do not look back.

JV

Ok, it appears that this is winding down. The interest in the posts on AZB is interesting in and of itself as the post is active for a few days and then simply fades away. I received a few hundred messages from people regarding this Gus Szamboti and received a lot of help from many of you on what the value is and for that I am thankful. The pictures i posted were viewed over 1,000 times so a lot of people got to see the cue which is a good thing. I am now going to put the cue back in the bank since my price was not met but I am going to do something that I wish others would do and that is share the pricing information. I always hated it when i would see something on the internet that i was interested in such as a guitar for $5,000 and then a few weks later I would go back and check to see what happened and all you get is that it was sold but nobody ever tells you what it sold for. So I am going to reveal that the highest bid I received was $12,000 and in this way everyone can get a good idea of what the interest this quality of cue at this exact point in time generates. Hopefully, this is a useful bit of information for the community. Thanks again to everyone for all the help

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a good idea to bring this cue to The Super Billiards Expo March 30-April 2 in Pennsylvania. I am an easy day trip from there but I don't want to go to all that hassle if people think it will not help me realize my asking price. Thanks in advance

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been scared off by the rumors of possible cue confiscation at the Expo so those of you that messaged me hoping to see my cue in person this weekend, I will not be there. Good luck in your pursuit of those rare Gus Szamboti's :)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have been scared off by the rumors of possible cue confiscation at the Expo so those of you that messaged me hoping to see my cue in person this weekend, I will not be there. Good luck in your pursuit of those rare Gus Szamboti's :)

You mean possible theft? Or problem with ivory? This is pretty intriguing.

If one Gus like this induces this kind of fear, can you imagine what Lucky or the Glenn family must go through?

All the best,
WW

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have an offer of 12K? If you're not attached.. sell it and do not look back.

JV

I am going to join this opinion....I have recently learned that life is short and hanging on to things we like, but dont use is not always the best answer......much better to "simplify" life and enjoy life for today......Tomorrow is promised to no one....in other words dont get too attached to "things", things dont really make us happy in the long run.

Take the 12K (or whatever), use that money to take a fishing trip, visit family, empty the bucket list and enjoy life....:yeah:

Very nice looking cue by the way, best of luck whatever you decide :thumbup:

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
I have 2 rare Gus Szamboti's @ SBE, no cues were confiscated. was looking forward to seeing this cue. sorry that happened & didn't see it. I p/u another nice original Gus @ SBE. there hs to be LAW in affect b4 they can do that. great cue, like to see it someday. don...aka Sure Man Cues.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm glad I didn't show up with my Lucasi.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 rare Gus Szamboti's @ SBE, no cues were confiscated. was looking forward to seeing this cue. sorry that happened & didn't see it. I p/u another nice original Gus @ SBE. there hs to be LAW in affect b4 they can do that. great cue, like to see it someday. don...aka Sure Man Cues.

Sounds like a good show for you. Glad you had no trouble. :thumbup:

As for the law...I wish that were true. Authorities have illegally confiscated things. Firearms for example. You then hire a lawyer and fight to get it back.

A man in Pennsylvania had a firearms collection illegally confiscated. It was worth over 100K. By the time he got a court order to get his guns back they had been destroyed. Then he had to sue the county to get reimbursed. In the end he got very little compensation for his loss....and some of those valuable guns actually turned up in the possession of cops years later.

Anyway, I would never want anybody to get scared away from a cue show or event. But do be careful with your cues with ivory.

I never heard any rumors about confiscations, nor would I fan such flames by repeating them if I did. But if the old boy heard something and got spooked I can't blame him. Original owner Gus? I would probably get spooked too.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good show for you. Glad you had no trouble. :thumbup:

As for the law...I wish that were true. Authorities have illegally confiscated things. Firearms for example. You then hire a lawyer and fight to get it back.

A man in Pennsylvania had a firearms collection illegally confiscated. It was worth over 100K. By the time he got a court order to get his guns back they had been destroyed. Then he had to sue the county to get reimbursed. In the end he got very little compensation for his loss....and some of those valuable guns actually turned up in the possession of cops years later.

Anyway, I would never want anybody to get scared away from a cue show or event. But do be careful with your cues with ivory.

I never heard any rumors about confiscations, nor would I fan such flames by repeating them if I did. But if the old boy heard something and got spooked I can't blame him. Original owner Gus? I would probably get spooked too.

Me too.
It would be like getting robbed of $12K plus.
F**king feds.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm confused. Why would the confiscate your cue? The only Ivory is the ferrule, right? An even so how could they justify that? Wouldn't that fall under the Ex Post Facto rule?

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I do not check this forum regularly. I heard the rumor about the possible confiscation and thought to myself now wouldn't that suck if after owning this cue for 40+ years and finally deciding to sell it that I might get it taken from me and get nothing....LOL. That's why I didn't come. It just felt too ironic that I might be that unlucky

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused. Why would the confiscate your cue? The only Ivory is the ferrule, right? An even so how could they justify that? Wouldn't that fall under the Ex Post Facto rule?

Worst case scenario would be a raid. The "authorities" might take anything white under suspicion. Confiscate and figure it out later...maybe after damaging it to test the butt cap.

Seems ridiculous, but crazier things have happened.