Antique Tables vs Commercial Restoration Tables

A few people are looking to Centennial and Anniversary tables restored....but from what I'm understanding over the phone with their questions.....is the older true antique tables that guys offer are gorgeous tables and beautiful furniture...that play very well.
On the other hand....when people are wanting to buy Anniversay or Centennial tables.....they want the best of both worlds.
They are looking to get a beautiful table......but they also just as importantly what that table to play as good or better than today's commercial Diamonds and Brunswicks.
That's what I do on the tables I restore.....I truly believe....and have had a lot of others agree...that when I'm done with the table and set the table up......I would put my table against any commercial table made today.
I just don't understand why some want their table to look great....but just play...well OK.
Just because the balls bounce....don't mean the table plays great.
Remember one thing about a pool table...if you remember anything.......all tables will role off to some degree....may it be the balls out of round....the cloth dirty....or for whatever reason....no table will play 100% perfect....but some can get them really close to perfect.
BUT.....the rails are aways going to play the way they were worked on and how the cushions were installed.
Putting good money into the looks of a commerical table....but not have that table play great....just don't make sense.
Anniversay and Centennial tables were built for commercial play......and should play as good as any commercial table.
That's why my tables take longer to get.....I want that table to look awesome...and play even better......and that takes time rebuilding those tables better than when they came from the factory to start with.
I make a lot of changes on those tables to play great and look great.
Hope everyone understands what I'm trying to get across.....and not trying to say look at me......just trying to help people get what their paying for....not what they expect to get.
Mark Gregory

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
As you know Mark, I know exactly what you are saying.

FYI..banning Mark is about the dumbest thing I've seen on the forum. The guy is helpful and will answer any question you throw at him.

Maybe some of you all just don't understand where he's coming from.

A few people are looking to Centennial and Anniversary tables restored....but from what I'm understanding over the phone with their questions.....is the older true antique tables that guys offer are gorgeous tables and beautiful furniture...that play very well.
On the other hand....when people are wanting to buy Anniversay or Centennial tables.....they want the best of both worlds.
They are looking to get a beautiful table......but they also just as importantly what that table to play as good or better than today's commercial Diamonds and Brunswicks.
That's what I do on the tables I restore.....I truly believe....and have had a lot of others agree...that when I'm done with the table and set the table up......I would put my table against any commercial table made today.
I just don't understand why some want their table to look great....but just play...well OK.
Just because the balls bounce....don't mean the table plays great.
Remember one thing about a pool table...if you remember anything.......all tables will role off to some degree....may it be the balls out of round....the cloth dirty....or for whatever reason....no table will play 100% perfect....but some can get them really close to perfect.
BUT.....the rails are aways going to play the way they were worked on and how the cushions were installed.
Putting good money into the looks of a commerical table....but not have that table play great....just don't make sense.
Anniversay and Centennial tables were built for commercial play......and should play as good as any commercial table.
That's why my tables take longer to get.....I want that table to look awesome...and play even better......and that takes time rebuilding those tables better than when they came from the factory to start with.
I make a lot of changes on those tables to play great and look great.
Hope everyone understands what I'm trying to get across.....and not trying to say look at me......just trying to help people get what their paying for....not what they expect to get.
Mark Gregory

Reactions: JC

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

FYI..banning Mark is about the dumbest thing I've seen on the forum. The guy is helpful and will answer any question you throw at him.

I second that!!!
Thanks Mark

realkingcobra

Silver Member
JC, is that kind of like a hack working on a pool table, the customer wouldn't know the difference between good or bad work?....LOL

Reactions: JC

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Hey Mark,

How's it going?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I’m not a mechanic but I’m 100% behind Mark on this. A man with an antique t-rail table wanted it fixed and recovered. I highly recommended Mark over in Atlanta as he had the ability to pay. He didn’t want to spend what it would take to get it right and he got what he paid for.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
BUT....simply being willing to pay a higher price does not equate to better work. It's kind of like having a new table set up and you're not happy with the outcome, paying the same people more don't mean they're going to do a better job the 2 d or 3rd time around. The price of a job does not determine the quality of the work being done, that's just the price we feel the job is worth, based on our past dealing with pool tables, which is exactly what our reputations are built on. Even I won't take the time to rebuild t-rails, I'd rather send them to Mark as well, and that's exactly what I tell the customers....send your rails to Mark, i don't want to get into that position of rebuilding them, I don't have the time needed to do the job.