Vintage Unkown Pool Cue Please help

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, I have a pool cue I just bought. I don't know much about cues and was hoping someone can assist me? I appreciate any input thank you. It was sold to me as a Bourque cue but this cue has no markings anywhere on it to confirm it is his. The person gave me a mailed letter from Bourque but there is no description of the cue to confirm that it is in fact his. I was wondering if there is anyone familiar with his cues or this particular cue? Is there anything I should be looking for on the cue to confirm it's his? The cue length is 59 1/2" butt cap to ferule tip. the tip is 7/8" looks like Micarta? Butt weighs 160z. Shaft no. 1 weighs 4.3 and has a smaller tip size. Shaft no. 2 weighs 4.0 has a larger tip size. Butt and both cues measure 29 3/4". the wrap is 12 3/4" in length. The windows, the chain links on the butt sleeve as well as the diamonds on the points are made of ivory. I think the fore arm is a stained maple? the veneers look like red, green, yellow and black. Does anyone also know what the value can be on this vintage cue? she is beautiful.
View attachment 392239

View attachment 392240

View attachment 392241

View attachment 392242

View attachment 392243

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you already have a pretty good lead as to who made it. I would try to get in contact with Bourque and email him some pics. He is on facebook. As to value..whatever a buyer will pay.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having a bit of trouble finding him on Facebook. Anybody happen to have his email address? Thank you

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here that's why I'm asking for some help. Lol. I just want to contact Douglas and asking him if he recognizes this cue. I would like to know for sure what I have. It is really well made and shoots really well. The joint ringwork kind of looks like Josswest or Scruggs. I'm not sure if Douglas did the same kind of ringwork?

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or if anybody has a way to contact him? and ask him to visit this page forum? and confirm its his? I know it's pushing it but I'm so curious to know the year it was built and if it is indeed his? It's beautiful. It reminds me of one of burton Spain cues. I love the chain work and windows.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there I appreciate the effort but that's the wrong Bourque. That's Dan bourque. I'm looking for Douglas Bourque who retired from making cues in 2004 I believe. Again I appreciate the effort thank you for your help.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Doug Borque did not do many V splice cues, in fact I do not remember any.

JV

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have visited your websight numerous times. it's a very nice websight with great cues to look at. Any idea who this cue is made by? And any chance you can confirm my other cue? If it is in fact a vintage Tim Scruggs 1978-79 before he started putting his logo on them?

classiccues

Silver Member
We were Borque dealers and like I said I do not believe this is a Borque. I do not know who made the other cue as it has already been said, it is very generic from that time frame. Nice looking cue...

Joe

2strong4u

Banned
I saw photos of a Bourque cue with the same pin and joint collar rings. That's a nice cue for 500. Another ebay sale? Try searching his name here, you'll see too.

classiccues

Silver Member
A Borque cue...

Attachments

• 368_fore_hi.jpg
    368_fore_hi.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 269

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Joe from classic cues for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at these photos and giving me your insight. I have heard a lot about your knowledge and expertise of cues. Yes that is where I purchased the cue. The seller gave me a 2007 hand written letter that was from Douglas Bourque signed with his home address on the envelope. It stated that he made the cue and it is an older model. he said he made the cue for a taller person who was a pocket billiards player who also chose this design. But Since the letter doesn't describe the cue in any way I wanted to get a second opinion or some kind of validation. The reason why I bought it is I fell in love with the butt sleeve because it reminded me of a Burton Spain cue I've always wanted and probably can't afford. Lol

classiccues

Silver Member
Thank you Joe from classic cues for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at these photos and giving me your insight. I have heard a lot about your knowledge and expertise of cues. Yes that is where I purchased the cue. The seller gave me a 2007 hand written letter that was from Douglas Bourque signed with his home address on the envelope. It stated that he made the cue and it is an older model. he said he made the cue for a taller person who was a pocket billiards player who also chose this design. But Since the letter doesn't describe the cue in any way I wanted to get a second opinion or some kind of validation. The reason why I bought it is I fell in love with the butt sleeve because it reminded me of a Burton Spain cue I've always wanted and probably can't afford. Lol

If you have a letter with the cue, go with that. Its not typical of one of Doug's cues, so I don't know how many he would have made with a short splice. The ones we had were definitely all CNC made. The big issues with letters is they usually end up separated from the cue. As far as it not being more in tune with the cue, the backend has a typical Burton Spain element to it.
I don't know what happened to Doug, we lost touch after the last SBE we did with him.

JV

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok great thanks again. I was hoping he was an azbilliards follower and would just happen to click on the is forum because his name. Lol. I did read about him and how he hand made all his cues up until 1997 when he add CNC machinery. Thank you everyone for your help specially CLASSIC CUES. I see you guys do appraisals? Do you need to see the cues in person in order to appraise them? Are online pictures enough? if any one sees or has any information on Douglas Bourque feel free to contact me here or pm me. Thank you