Easy Trick Shots for Beginners: How to...

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Hey, guys, long time no see. The time that I've been away from this site is pretty much about the same time I've been away from a pool table. It's been a couple years since I picked up a cue. The rust is thick, real thick. So thick in fact that I don't think I have the discipline to work it off.

Oh well, I have been going to the pool room lately and shooting around a little just for fun. It got me thinking about making some How To videos on YouTube. Here are 4 videos that I made explaining a few classic trick shots. Be forewarned, there is nothing here that is going to amaze you guys. These shots are as old as they get, and as simple. The point of these videos is for the weekend warrior that wants to impress his buddies. No more, no less. Anyway, pass them along if you know anyone just starting out.

2 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZupUGKJO30

3 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnyPS0_psBA

4 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wRpFiYzdM

A shot to get your ass kicked with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzi5qF4V0dg

Now that I'm back at the tables I'll probably be around here a little more. See you guys soon!

MULLY

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips!!

In the 3 ball video there are many cues in a couple of racks on the wall, I couldn't tell if they were behind glass or not, are those for sale or for patron use??? That looks like a nice place to shoot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thank You!!!!

What is the material in the yellow ferrule in your avatar....
...I've been playing with yellow ferrules for a long time.

Welcome back Mully....might be time to repatriate......
...Dodge City in Kansas are desperate for teachers.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips!!

In the 3 ball video there are many cues in a couple of racks on the wall, I couldn't tell if they were behind glass or not, are those for sale or for patron use??? That looks like a nice place to shoot.

No, they're not behind glass. Those cues are owned by regular customers of the shop. There are some really nice cues in there too. Gina, Joss West, etc... Yes, anyone could walk by at anytime and walk away with one. That won't happen though. Japan is still safe enough that that's not something you have to worry about. I'd say just about all pool halls here are like that. I'd leave mine buy I jump around to different places so I need to keep my cue with me.
MULLY
I'll get some video of some of the cues in there for you guys

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
What is the material in the yellow ferrule in your avatar....
...I've been playing with yellow ferrules for a long time.

Welcome back Mully....might be time to repatriate......
...Dodge City in Kansas are desperate for teachers.

Good to see you again too. No way I'll ever move back. Every time I open the internet there's just more and more to piss me off about that place. If there's as much whining about things in daily life as there is on the net, I'd end up killing someone.
MULLY
Bring back the General Lee!!!

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Pretty neat, thanks for sharing......

You're very welcome. I'll post more as I make them. Again, simple shots that anyone can do. Most players have probably seen and known them for years. All for fun though.
MULLY

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the shots. BTW, how is the cost of living, taxes, and housing over there compared to where you lived here in the States?

I am amazed that players can leave expensive cues at a venue without putting them under some serious locking devices. We won the war, but maybe they won the peace.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Thanks for the shots. BTW, how is the cost of living, taxes, and housing over there compared to where you lived here in the States?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I came here when I was 22 years old. I really had no experience paying for things in the US at that time. I had only been out of my parents house about a year or so, and living in an apartment. That was a quarter century ago. My entire adult life has been here.

I am amazed that players can leave expensive cues at a venue without putting them under some serious locking devices. We won the war, but maybe they won the peace.

Oh yeah, there's no carting your cue to the bathroom when you have to take a leak here. Leave laying on the table. I'm sure cues have been stolen in Japan in the past, but that is the exception. If your cue got pinched you have some bad luck.
MULLY

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, guys, long time no see. The time that I've been away from this site is pretty much about the same time I've been away from a pool table. It's been a couple years since I picked up a cue. The rust is thick, real thick. So thick in fact that I don't think I have the discipline to work it off.

Oh well, I have been going to the pool room lately and shooting around a little just for fun. It got me thinking about making some How To videos on YouTube. Here are 4 videos that I made explaining a few classic trick shots. Be forewarned, there is nothing here that is going to amaze you guys. These shots are as old as they get, and as simple. The point of these videos is for the weekend warrior that wants to impress his buddies. No more, no less. Anyway, pass them along if you know anyone just starting out.

2 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZupUGKJO30

3 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnyPS0_psBA

4 Ball shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wRpFiYzdM

A shot to get your ass kicked with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzi5qF4V0dg

Now that I'm back at the tables I'll probably be around here a little more. See you guys soon!

MULLY

You have a shot in there I actually have won money on. It is the spit shot. However not the way you may think. It has a double hustle to it. In other word, someone tried to trap me with the shot and I go along missing it when they set it up.

Then I ask about moving the cue ball around and try it from different angles. At a point I get very confident and want to bet saying I want three tries to make it for the bet. What the heck, why take any chances.

Of course he is ready to bet, he would probably give me 50 tries. I let him set up the shot, he doesn't spit on the balls and I make it. Yes there is a way to make it. No I am not going to type it here on the net.

There is nothing better then beating the guy who thinks "YOU" are the sucker only to find he is the sucker. To give you an idea how long this shot has been around, I learned the second way to make the shot from Marcel Camp, a player from the 30's.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
You have a shot in there I actually have won money on. It is the spit shot. However not the way you may think. It has a double hustle to it. In other word, someone tried to trap me with the shot and I go along missing it when they set it up.

Then I ask about moving the cue ball around and try it from different angles. At a point I get very confident and want to bet saying I want three tries to make it for the bet. What the heck, why take any chances.

Of course he is ready to bet, he would probably give me 50 tries. I let him set up the shot, he doesn't spit on the balls and I make it. Yes there is a way to make it. No I am not going to type it here on the net.

There is nothing better then beating the guy who thinks "YOU" are the sucker only to find he is the sucker. To give you an idea how long this shot has been around, I learned the second way to make the shot from Marcel Camp, a player from the 30's.

Oh yeah, this shot is as old as the hills. I learned this way back when I first started playing over 30 years ago.

Question, the other way to make it, did you let him set it up for you or did you set it up yourself? I know one other way to make it without the spit.
MULLY

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, they're not behind glass. Those cues are owned by regular customers of the shop. There are some really nice cues in there too. Gina, Joss West, etc... Yes, anyone could walk by at anytime and walk away with one. That won't happen though. Japan is still safe enough that that's not something you have to worry about. I'd say just about all pool halls here are like that. I'd leave mine buy I jump around to different places so I need to keep my cue with me.
MULLY
I'll get some video of some of the cues in there for you guys

Yeah I heard their society is very different from ours. Apparently they do not have mass looting after natural disasters or riots. At least the looters in the US get the important stuff after a disaster like shoes, big screen TVs, computers, etc...............:confused:
Who needs things like food and water when stores are closed for an extended period??? Aren't some folks in the US great!!!!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah, this shot is as old as the hills. I learned this way back when I first started playing over 30 years ago.

Question, the other way to make it, did you let him set it up for you or did you set it up yourself? I know one other way to make it without the spit.
MULLY

Yea he sets it up the same way as always. Balls frozen to each other and to the rail. It is not a trick or nothing silly like laying a cue on the table or anything. The ball shoots right down the rail into the pocket.

Some shots are deceiving like the impossible bank. A ball is one ball width from the rail one spot from the side pocket and the cue ball on the spot.

You have to bank it cross side. Most players will try do go across the ball of double kiss it like a dozen times and give up. Amazingly, I as well as a lot of guys can make it in like 2 tries.

The guy setting the shot up and wanting to bet is shocked at how easy it really is, as he loses his money giving you 10 tries.