Just random thoughts about equipment...

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi.
I am 41 year old player from Finland who recently started put more thoughts about equipment.
I started playing when I was 15. When I started there was no two piece cues available here. Also I had been playing 2 years when I saw(and played) first 9ft table. It was Brunswick Gold Crown.
So basically I did not know anything about equipment. Cloths were always Simonis 760 btw..
Just to clarify why I probably won´t care too much about about equipment.

I am pretty decent player nowadays and finally I have been bothered about my playing cue.
It is Falcon cue with Bear Black Ring maple shaft. It does hit a TON ;).. but also deflects another TON :D.
I play Snooker too and use my pool cue(with different shaft than pool, Predator Z2 11.75mm).
I really like Semi-low deflection on Snooker what that Predator Z2 shaft gives. I made my first century break on that shaft, day after I got it. Later made my first 147 with it. So it really proved for me that amount of deflection is the best.
Tip diameter is slightly too big for best performance but it is okay for me.
Predator Z2 is way too low deflection on pool balls IMO. Don´t like it at all on Pool.

I asked about "semi-low-deflection shafts" on AZB and ordered McDermott G-Core.
It have okay amount of deflection but it won´t produce spin like solid maple shaft OR Predator Z2 shaft. Also "hit" is so dead! I hate it.
So that means low amount of deflection should not affect on amount of spin. So it is basically wasted purchase(at least for me).

Looking for totally new cue that have similar hit that solid maple shafts but "Semi-low deflection"
I don´t like hit of OB or Predator 314. Also they are too low deflection for me. Best what I have been trying so far is Revo shaft:confused: . It have little deflection and hit is most "narural" for my taste.
Anybody know similar properties cue/shaft.
Suggestions??

Also.
I want to mention I have been using Elk Master tips a long time. I have been trying other ones but always came back to Elks.
I also changed my chalk to Taom and it is great to take away bad contacts.
It have one downsize: max grip is a (very)little less than normal chalk. Normal chalk I basically never miscue. With Taom maybe 0 to 2 miscues per 6 hours playing.
So basically it can miscue little easier when shooting a ton of spin. Especially on slow extreme spin shots.
Taom have version 2 out now and I have not yet get it tested. Dunno if it takes away that only downsize. Have to get it for test. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi.
I am 41 year old player from Finland who recently started put more thoughts about equipment.
I started playing when I was 15. When I started there was no two piece cues available here. Also I had been playing 2 years when I saw(and played) first 9ft table. It was Brunswick Gold Crown.
So basically I did not know anything about equipment. Cloths were always Simonis 760 btw..
Just to clarify why I probably won´t care too much about about equipment.

I am pretty decent player nowadays and finally I have been bothered about my playing cue.
It is Falcon cue with Bear Black Ring maple shaft. It does hit a TON ;).. but also deflects another TON :D.
I play Snooker too and use my pool cue(with different shaft than pool, Predator Z2 11.75mm).
I really like Semi-low deflection on Snooker what that Predator Z2 shaft gives. I made my first century break on that shaft, day after I got it. Later made my first 147 with it. So it really proved for me that amount of deflection is the best.
Tip diameter is slightly too big for best performance but it is okay for me.
Predator Z2 is way too low deflection on pool balls IMO. Don´t like it at all on Pool.

I asked about "semi-low-deflection shafts" on AZB and ordered McDermott G-Core.
It have okay amount of deflection but it won´t produce spin like solid maple shaft OR Predator Z2 shaft. Also "hit" is so dead! I hate it.
So that means low amount of deflection should not affect on amount of spin. So it is basically wasted purchase(at least for me).

Looking for totally new cue that have similar hit that solid maple shafts but "Semi-low deflection"
I don´t like hit of OB or Predator 314. Also they are too low deflection for me. Best what I have been trying so far is Revo shaft:confused: . It have little deflection and hit is most "narural" for my taste.
Anybody know similar properties cue/shaft.
Suggestions??

Also.
I want to mention I have been using Elk Master tips a long time. I have been trying other ones but always came back to Elks.
I also changed my chalk to Taom and it is great to take away bad contacts.
It have one downsize: max grip is a (very)little less than normal chalk. Normal chalk I basically never miscue. With Taom maybe 0 to 2 miscues per 6 hours playing.
So basically it can miscue little easier when shooting a ton of spin. Especially on slow extreme spin shots.
Taom have version 2 out now and I have not yet get it tested. Dunno if it takes away that only downsize. Have to get it for test. :smile:
Aah jeez, here we go again. Seriously, WTF is "semi low-deflection"? From what i've experienced if you keep shaft diameter 12.5mm(or less) most quality shafts kinda fall in to this nebulous "SLD" category. Last thing, have you tried any of the Mezz shafts? If not try to hit a 700,HP2 or a EX. Great products.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aah jeez, here we go again. Seriously, WTF is "semi low-deflection"? From what i've experienced if you keep shaft diameter 12.5mm(or less) most quality shafts kinda fall in to this nebulous "SLD" category. Last thing, have you tried any of the Mezz shafts? If not try to hit a 700,HP2 or a EX. Great products.

I have tried two Mezz cues. Another had around same deflection than my solid maple shaft and another I could not tell was it good or not so good. I maybe have to get more test with them. A lot of Finnish players use Mezz Cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the Revo shafts were the lowest deflection cues they make (or as they say "more accurate").

HXT 12.9mm shafts are a good lower LD shaft. They have more deflection than most LD shafts and have a good hit feel.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I remember you....So you want a rigid spined 12mm solid ld shaft that’s not dead.

Sidebar: isn’t hearing your stroke echo with a revo kinda neat?!!?!! I could see it bothering some but I find it a cool side effect of the construction

I think you’d dig one of mine honestly but I’m too busy finishing up polishing this turd of a shop

Only other one I’ve ever shot with that had good life and spine and didn’t kill its feel was the shafts joey auguzin was having bob d. Build out of dyamondwood....I’m not even sure if they are hollow, hollow fill or negatively loaded.

If my equipment got stolen and I didn’t have the shop coming along, and a revo was out the question and I had a match in near future....I’d hit up Joey to get me one a them pistols.
Don’t shoot like no daisy atall

All are more of a modified conical as opposed to pro taper blah blah.

Glad to hear from you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm unsure how can there be "too low deflection"? I'd be most happy if I had none!

Try a Cuetec R360 cue. It has a very solid and direct feel to it and it's not too LD and most important: it's not a dead shaft and not too whippy (special construction). Change the Tiger Everest to something little softer and be happy forever.
It's available from 12,75mm down to 11,5mm nowadays.
Unfortunately they do this funky 3/8x14 joint so it only fits Cuetec cues.

Added bonus: you can buy a real ash snooker shaft for it with 9mm tip for your Snooker endevours.

Of course I'm strange and play Pool with the 9mm shaft instead of you playing Snooker with a Pool shaft :thumbup:

Cheers,
M

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are in the same boat as me with your preferred amount of deflection. I went through well over a dozen different high end LD shafts hoping that one would feel right. Everything I could think of, Predator 314s, Z, Jacoby, Mezz WX700, HP2, ExPro, BD360, Gorba Hollow force, HXT and so on and finally came to the conclusion that I like the non LD, Mezz hard maple shaft the best. I modify the taper of them quite a bit to suit me but once I found the right rise it has been heavenly to play with. The shaft is not exactly LD like 314 but it isn't a Bear either, to me it is the perfect middle of the two combined and I'm happy with it.
I have sold most of the shafts as I didn't like them too well, all I have left is 2 Mezz maple shafts at 12.8 and 12.3mm, a 314'3 and a precat 314 that I dont play with but can't part ways with either for some reason :thumbup:

I don't actually live that far away from you so if you want to hit some balls with the cues that I have hit me up by PM and maybe we can arrange a meet somewhere :rolleyes:

As far a the tips go I'm not sure if there another tip out there that feels the same as Elks apart from the Elk pro tips. If you are willing to go up in hardness both the milkduds and Triangle tips give the feel of a solid, non layered tip but they are noticeably firmer.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are in the same boat as me with your preferred amount of deflection. I went through well over a dozen different high end LD shafts hoping that one would feel right. Everything I could think of, Predator 314s, Z, Jacoby, Mezz WX700, HP2, ExPro, BD360, Gorba Hollow force, HXT and so on and finally came to the conclusion that I like the non LD, Mezz hard maple shaft the best. I modify the taper of them quite a bit to suit me but once I found the right rise it has been heavenly to play with. The shaft is not exactly LD like 314 but it isn't a Bear either, to me it is the perfect middle of the two combined and I'm happy with it.
I have sold most of the shafts as I didn't like them too well, all I have left is 2 Mezz maple shafts at 12.8 and 12.3mm, a 314'3 and a precat 314 that I dont play with but can't part ways with either for some reason :thumbup:

I don't actually live that far away from you so if you want to hit some balls with the cues that I have hit me up by PM and maybe we can arrange a meet somewhere :rolleyes:

As far a the tips go I'm not sure if there another tip out there that feels the same as Elks apart from the Elk pro tips. If you are willing to go up in hardness both the milkduds and Triangle tips give the feel of a solid, non layered tip but they are noticeably firmer.

Thanks Kimmo. Kajaani is actually my home city and my parents live there. I will send pm when i gonna visit there.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Elk pros are much firmer than the original elk master, it’s more similar to a triangle than an original elk.

Milk duds and triangles give the feel of a solid non layered tip....because they are solid non layer tips. Lepros are like mdf.....glued together leather particle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk