Buddy Hall's DVDs. Has Anyone Watched?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched Buddy Hall's DVD on the "clock system". Good to watch and think I might be able to incorporate some of his system. THEN at about the 6 minute to end mark, he shows how to apply English to the cue ball. He makes his wrist go convex or concave for whatever side of the CB he's applying English. Amazing! Does anyone out there subscribe to this method? Then he states it's impossible to apply English by just paralleling over. Again amazing to me!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched Buddy Hall's DVD on the "clock system". Good to watch and think I might be able to incorporate some of his system. THEN at about the 6 minute to end mark, he shows how to apply English to the cue ball. He makes his wrist go convex or concave for whatever side of the CB he's applying English. Amazing! Does anyone out there subscribe to this method? Then he states it's impossible to apply English by just paralleling over. Again amazing to me!
!
I remember his clock system. I think it's good way to learn how to maneuver the CB. Different cloth and cushions make it so 1:00 spin at the local bar doesn't come off like 1:00 spin at my house or on a Diamond. But it still provides a good method of learning or developing a feel for CB control.

I don't believe the twisty wrist bit really does anything special for english. I think Dr Dave and other experts have proved there is no benefit to twisting your cue it wrist, etc... And the statement about it being "impossible" to apply english with a parallel stroke method, well....I don't buy that. When you apply english using a pivot style method, where you line up center CB and then change/pivot your stroke to apply the spin, the cue's approach toward the CB from the tip's point of view (line of the stroke) will result in the same action/spin as if a parallel stroke was used. The only difference is the direction in which the CB will squirt.

Let's remove the OB from the picture. All we have is a cue stick and a CB. Put the CB in the center of the table and line up to shoot it straight into a side pocket, striking the CB as close to dead center as possible. Now pivot the cue tip over 1 full tip left of center CB. This new stroke line is aiming the CB away from the pocket, but hitting the left side will squirt the CB to the right, sending it to the pocket anyway.

Notice where the cue stick is lined, where the tip is pointed in reference to the side pocket. It should be lined close to the left facing. Now stand back up. Instead of lining for a straight center CB hit to center pocket and then pivoting left, line up to shoot the center of the CB just left of center pocket, then move your cue parallel to this aim line, all the way over to the 1-tip left english line. Your tip should be pointed straight through the left side of the CB to the left facing of the pocket again.

My point is, the end result (as far as the tip action against the cb) is the same in the first method as it is in the second. The first was a pivot. The second was a parallel shift, only the parallel line we shifted from was slightly left of center pocket to ensure the CB squirt didn't send the ball too far to the right. Not sure why Buddy would say english can't be applied with a parallel type shift ...maybe you misinterpreted what he was saying. I no longer have the videos so I can't remember his exact words.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
!
Not sure why Buddy would say english can't be applied with a parallel type shift ...maybe you misinterpreted what he was saying. I no longer have the videos so I can't remember his exact words.

Yes, he states that and so does Stan in one of his CTE videos. Thanks for posting the tests for English. I parallel over, my teacher parallels over and it works just fine.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See this video first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G1XZ-G0-TM

Then this video second. Pay attention toward the end where Buddy talks about Tuck and Roll. This method use to be called Helping English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSAtnVPdSIo

The clock system is demonstrated at about 52:00 and then gone into detail at about 1:05

If you watch the pros play notice their wrist and also notice that when their stroke finishes the tip is not parallel to the shot line when applying spin.

John :)