Check out this wood

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was milling up some logs and ran across this section. Never seen anything like it, in this wood. Can anyone guess the wood?
IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Without being there in person to see the bark, I'd guess sycamore or maybe beech.

That figure is actually the medullary rays being exposed broadside. It only shows with true quarter sawn faces. Oak, sycamore, beech, & cherry are our domestic woods that really show it off, oak being the one commonly milled for that purpose.

Last edited:

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without being there in person to see the bark, I'd guess sycamore or maybe beech.

That figure is actually the medullary rays being exposed broadside. It only shows with true quarter sawn faces. Oak, sycamore, beech, & cherry are our domestic woods that really show it off, oak being the one commonly milled for that purpose.

Well, if you ain't gonna get it... nobody will.
It's gonna sound weird, but it's Pecan.
The tree had bad case of heart rot, the tree was 40' or so, this section was about 20' up the tree and was only about 3', it was a big knot the had rotted out (that's the spalting you see) this is the back side of that. Rest of the tree produced regular looking spalted slabs.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Ha! My first thought was pecan based on the bark edge, but I have never seen pecan show the rays like that so I guessed a wood that typically shows it. The stars must have been aligned. You could cut 100 more pecan logs & never see that figure again.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha! My first thought was pecan based on the bark edge, but I have never seen pecan show the rays like that so I guessed a wood that typically shows it. The stars must have been aligned. You could cut 100 more pecan logs & never see that figure again.

Hell more than that! Buddy that was with me runs a tree business, and together we have cut, milled and/or split countless trees over the years and neither of us could believe it. Granted we usually only mill the Walnut, but have done quite a few Pecan logs over the years.
Also, I'm pretty sure it's like that on all four sides, didn't cut the bark and look on that side, but I would swear it was like that on three sides, I'll look when I go back out there. I was tired and just painted the ends and threw the pieces in the container, for safe keeping.