Loctite 243 for a cue extension bumper?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
So, I ordered a cue extension for my Schon that came with a replacement bumper that screws into the weight bolt and that the extension screws into.

Trouble is, when I torque down the extension to tighten it, it creates a firmer grip between the bumper/extension than the weight bolt/bumper, so when I unscrew the extension, it brings the bumper with it.

A table mechanic buddy of mine advises me to use Loctite blue.. I see the cheapest option I have for this on German Amazon is Loctite 243. Has anyone used this? Specifically, my concern is whether it holds strong enough to withstand the torquing down of the extension, without breaking the seal either going in or coming out.

The extension bumper comes out with a fairly small Allen wrench, and just wondering whether this glue is right for this application or should I use something different, and whether I am just worrying to much about torquing down the extension..

Short Bus Russ

PoppaSaun

Banned
So, I ordered a cue extension for my Schon that came with a replacement bumper that screws into the weight bolt and that the extension screws into.

Trouble is, when I torque down the extension to tighten it, it creates a firmer grip between the bumper/extension than the weight bolt/bumper, so when I unscrew the extension, it brings the bumper with it.

A table mechanic buddy of mine advises me to use Loctite blue.. I see the cheapest option I have for this on German Amazon is Loctite 243. Has anyone used this? Specifically, my concern is whether it holds strong enough to withstand the torquing down of the extension, without breaking the seal either going in or coming out.

The extension bumper comes out with a fairly small Allen wrench, and just wondering whether this glue is right for this application or should I use something different, and whether I am just worrying to much about torquing down the extension..

Short Bus Russ

First, understand that loctite is not a 'glue'. Loctite is a product which undergoes a chemical reaction in the presence of copper (basically in all metallic compounds) and the absence of air.

Loctite blue is meant for fasteners from about 6mm to 8-10mm diameter. The screw in your weight bolt is likely on the order of 3-4mm. You want pink loctite (Loctite 222). You literally need 1 drop--more is not better. It will cure fully in about 6hrs, while reaching ~70% in 1hr.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
First, understand that loctite is not a 'glue'. Loctite is a product which undergoes a chemical reaction in the presence of copper (basically in all metallic compounds) and the absence of air.

Loctite blue is meant for fasteners from about 6mm to 8-10mm diameter. The screw in your weight bolt is likely on the order of 3-4mm. You want pink loctite (Loctite 222). You literally need 1 drop--more is not better. It will cure fully in about 6hrs, while reaching ~70% in 1hr.

Thanks for the advice.. I already had purchased Loctite 243 based on the advice of a friend, but hadn't recieved it yet, but I ordered some 222 and will give it a try first..

Thanks,

Short Bus Russ