how are ya'll doing in league ?

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Decided to try another night..dam adrenaline

I keep vacillating between, league or not. I tried again last week. Played against the same SL7 in 9 and 8 ball, I'm a SL4 in 8 ball (only played 1 match so far and won) and a SL6 in 9 ball. Freaking adrenaline is getting the best of me. I guess that's why I want to continue with leagues, to get a handle on it. In 9 ball, it came down to the money ball to win. He missed, I made it. In 8 ball, he needed 5 games, I only needed 2. He came out shooting pretty good and was leading 2-0. I then won the next 2, but it was ugly. Any way, now I'm 5 wins 0 losses with a good dose of adrenaline.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Then there was a 3 rack span were I never even saw a ball. I think during that run. He picked up 27 balls. All he needed was 31. I don't understand how it can go so great and then fall off.

You answered your own question within the previous sentences. In 9-ball, where the cue ball ends up coming into your turn at the table, whether through your opponents skill or your sheer bad luck, can many times be the determining factor in winning/losing a match....especially when a point-per-ball w/handicap system is in play.

Maniac (sometimes your the hammer...other times the nail)

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played the first week with my new team. Won 9 ball 5-0, also won in 8 ball 4-1. I had that cueball on a string last night, maybe missed 4 shots total in both matches. Happy to be playing again and it is nice that the new team has a player that is good enough to realize when I am gonna try something stupid.

Overall a pretty good week, won a tournament Sunday night as well, 90 bucks...bring on next week coach, I am ready.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team had a good night as we won 11-3. Me on the other hand...not a good night. I had to work late last night, got to the match over an hour late, walked in the door and straight to the table...no warm-up, no time to get focused, nothing. Boy did I pay for it. I was playing a three that couldn't hit water if she fell out of a damn boat, but every shot she missed she left me in awful shape, and I wasn't good enough last night to shoot my way out of it. Just felt "off" all night. I shouldn't have played.

I will say, I left her a full length bank to win and she nailed it...after her coach marked the rail with a piece of chalk..still not sure how I feel about coaches being able to do that, but it is legal I guess.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Semi final in a cash league and won with the tightest margin. Team score was 2-2. I played the final match against an extremely slow player giving 3 racks going to 7. I had a very comfortable 4-0 lead, but after missing a few crucial safeties in mid match, momentum changed and pool god switched side. He got onto the hill first and I needed 2 racks to win. He broke, ran, and carelessly missed the 8-ball. I was lucky to run out from there.

Damn, winning in pool is never easy.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night was our second night of the in-house league we joined. Our team is going to be interesting because we have (4) SL2s, my and the captain are SL4s, and we have a SL5. We had a SL7 that apparently quick without playing a match. That is all of the members I have met. We lost 2-3 last night after our SL2 lost to a SL4, our SL5 lost to a SL8, and another SL2 lost to what we were told was the "worst SL2 in the league" 2-0. Only my wife and I managed to scrap together wins, with her (SL2) beating a SL5 2-1, and me pulling off a 3-1 victory over a SL4.

I played first and was quickly in the hole. This guy was shooting smooth and lights out to start. I got one chance at the table in the first game, with absolutely nothing to shoot at, and he was quickly out after that. I was feeling the nerves and just could not get myself to settle down. Luckily my wonderful wife went to the bar and got me another beer. That seemed to help a little. The second game he broke and missed on his 2nd or 3rd ball. I was able to run out from there. Two games in and we're not finished with the 2nd inning yet. This was quite the change from my match last week that last 32 innings. The 3rd game was 2 innings and I won it pretty handily and felt like I was in control finally. The 4th game I was out to an early lead, but had 2 balls in bad spots and he made a nice comeback. I don't remember how everything played out, but thankfully he missed a few shots he should have made, I rattled one that should have put me out, and then did a little dance in the corner pocket where he snuck the 8 behind my ball and left it on the ledge, and I then slid my ball past it and was able to make the 8 on the next shot.

On an even brighter note, my wife has now won her last 3 matches (2 on 9 foot tables, and 1 on a 7 footer) and is starting to get more confident in here shot. Our captain knew the SL5 that the other team had put up and made a comment about him not playing well against lower ranks. We said to put her up, and handled him. He was not happy about playing a SL2, made several comments about her not being a SL2, and even said (one of the dumbest things I've ever heard) "no SL2 brings their own break stick". I guess he didn't notice that we share the break stick, or that you can't buy talent, but whatever. Maybe he should cut back on his liquor on pool nights, because the only game he won she game him ball in hand on the 8.

Sucks that our team lost, and I'm not sure how we're going to use two of our SL2s, but the rest of the team seems to be solid as long as we're not against a team that is stacked with higher ranks and we're having fun shooting.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night was our second night of the in-house league we joined. Our team is going to be interesting because we have (4) SL2s, my and the captain are SL4s, and we have a SL5. We had a SL7 that apparently quick without playing a match. That is all of the members I have met. We lost 2-3 last night after our SL2 lost to a SL4, our SL5 lost to a SL8, and another SL2 lost to what we were told was the "worst SL2 in the league" 2-0. Only my wife and I managed to scrap together wins, with her (SL2) beating a SL5 2-1, and me pulling off a 3-1 victory over a SL4.

I played first and was quickly in the hole. This guy was shooting smooth and lights out to start. I got one chance at the table in the first game, with absolutely nothing to shoot at, and he was quickly out after that. I was feeling the nerves and just could not get myself to settle down. Luckily my wonderful wife went to the bar and got me another beer. That seemed to help a little. The second game he broke and missed on his 2nd or 3rd ball. I was able to run out from there. Two games in and we're not finished with the 2nd inning yet. This was quite the change from my match last week that last 32 innings. The 3rd game was 2 innings and I won it pretty handily and felt like I was in control finally. The 4th game I was out to an early lead, but had 2 balls in bad spots and he made a nice comeback. I don't remember how everything played out, but thankfully he missed a few shots he should have made, I rattled one that should have put me out, and then did a little dance in the corner pocket where he snuck the 8 behind my ball and left it on the ledge, and I then slid my ball past it and was able to make the 8 on the next shot.

On an even brighter note, my wife has now won her last 3 matches (2 on 9 foot tables, and 1 on a 7 footer) and is starting to get more confident in here shot. Our captain knew the SL5 that the other team had put up and made a comment about him not playing well against lower ranks. We said to put her up, and handled him. He was not happy about playing a SL2, made several comments about her not being a SL2, and even said (one of the dumbest things I've ever heard) "no SL2 brings their own break stick". I guess he didn't notice that we share the break stick, or that you can't buy talent, but whatever. Maybe he should cut back on his liquor on pool nights, because the only game he won she game him ball in hand on the 8.

Sucks that our team lost, and I'm not sure how we're going to use two of our SL2s, but the rest of the team seems to be solid as long as we're not against a team that is stacked with higher ranks and we're having fun shooting.
Are you doing what I suggested, i.e., letting your wife figure it out without feedback?Maybe she’s found her groove!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
APA Monday 8ball. Team won 9-5 against 1st place team. Still didn't play - eye surgery next Tuesday.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Had a decent night last night in 8-ball, beat a pretty good SL5 4-2. Closed one game out with a 6 ball run, and then closed the last game out with a 7 ball run. Not a big deal to many of you, but for me, that was kind of a big deal. I win more than Iose, and play reasonably well for my skill level, but I rarely get out on a run like that, so it felt pretty good, let alone twice in one match.

Third week in a row that my team has scored double digits, too. Good start to the session.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you doing what I suggested, i.e., letting your wife figure it out without feedback?Maybe she’s found her groove!

For the most part. I figured out that a lot of what was bothering her was people, including me, saying it was her nerves. We meant everything from new situation, bigger tables, people talking, etc. but she was taking it as us meaning her being nervous. It made her mad that we thought she was nervous. Once I explained that was the case, she settled some, and once she won on the big tables, she really settled in. I'm sure there will be more bumps on the road, but she is definitely in a better spot and much happier. :D

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing crazy happened this week in APA. Team won 8-4 (I believe), I won 3-1 (4-4 race), and my wife won 2-0 (2-2 race). Our loan loss was a 6-2 race with our SL2 getting shut out. She shot a little better than usual, but just couldn't finish a game, so that's promising. Tonight is the in-house league, so hopefully it goes as well.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost 5-0 in 8 ball to another 7 last week. Just couldn't finish racks. Should have won at least 2-3 if not 4 of those racks. Off night.

This weekend in 9 ball MVP/top gun tourney lost my first then went on a winning streak to take second out of 64 person field. I'm a 7 and beat the 2 who won the hot seat 55-5, then just had a few too many mistakes trying to double dip him and lost 53-19. Good run considering I won 8 or 9 in a row against strong shooters of all different skill levels.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost 5-0 in 8 ball to another 7 last week. Just couldn't finish racks. Should have won at least 2-3 if not 4 of those racks. Off night.

This weekend in 9 ball MVP/top gun tourney lost my first then went on a winning streak to take second out of 64 person field. I'm a 7 and beat the 2 who won the hot seat 55-5, then just had a few too many mistakes trying to double dip him and lost 53-19. Good run considering I won 8 or 9 in a row against strong shooters of all different skill levels.

That is a good run, congrats!

My team continues to steamroll. We are 5-1 this session with the only loss coming to the team ahead of us in 1st place. I played inconsistent, but went rackless against a Sl 4. The team score was 12-4, with our only loss coming from my Sl7. He played another 7, I think he said he was 18 years old. Race to 5 went hill-hill and I don't think they had a game that went over 3 innings...not too shabby on a 9 footer.:thumbup:

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like a good weekend. Congrats on the strong finish.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Last Monday I played twice...won one and lost one. Last night I beat another SL6 in a hill-hill match. Long games, mostly because of lots of safety play from both of us. I didn't look at the score sheet, but I bet there were well over 30 safeties shot between us...pretty evenly balanced. It was one of those nights were there seemed to always be several clusters and blocked pockets in each game. I was not happy with my shooting last night but my safety play pulled me through.

I'm 5-1 for the session...and winning ugly. Going into last night we were 1 point out of first place. We won 8-6 last night, so I doubt we'll drop any.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last sunday double jeapordy. Played another 5 in 8 ball and lost 4-1. This guy plays slooowww. I just could not get my head in the game and lost 4-1. They dumped a 2 on me in 9 ball and I won 38-10.

Had usapl last monday and played the same guy both 8 and 9. I won 8 ball and lost 9 ball. I was a 506 and he was a 498. I looked tonight and see I dropped to a 501 after my matches monday night.

Had apa 9 ball tonight. Faced another 5 who I had never played before. I shot pretty dang sporty winning 38-15. One of my better 9 ball matches in a while.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Played Wednesday and our team won 18-14. I got mine H-H.
Played tonight. Team split a double header against 1st place. I barely showed up losing 3 matches of five. We should fall in 3rd now, just a game back.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Got my first ever 20-0 win last night, beating a fairly strong SL3 38-2. Rackless, too.

I shot pretty well, and he shot far more poorly than he usually does.

Crazy. I had a function that I had to attend earlier in the evening, but we were shorthanded so I had to play, so I got there about 5 minutes before I had to play. Jumped in and played cold. Maybe I should try that more often? :p

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Crazy. I had a function that I had to attend earlier in the evening, but we were shorthanded so I had to play, so I got there about 5 minutes before I had to play. Jumped in and played cold. Maybe I should try that more often? :p

I have always had the belief that sitting and waiting in anticipation of your nightly match was detrimental to good shooting.

Maybe coming in cold is a better way. There have been nights at league play where I practiced enough to see my game drop off as each rack goes by.

Maniac

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my first ever 20-0 win last night, beating a fairly strong SL3 38-2. Rackless, too.

I shot pretty well, and he shot far more poorly than he usually does.

Awesome job!

I got a 5-0 rack less in 8 against a strong 5 in 6 innings with 4 safes. Had a break and run and dogged an 8 on a what would have been my second BnR (never had two bnr in the same game)

Similar circumstance, I didn't really warm up too much, have been sick this week and fully thought I'd shoot like shit but shot my best match in league prob ever. Go figure.