Pros & cons of black felt?

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you referring to just the colour?
IMO its the brand/grade of the cloth that makes the difference
....eg Simonis 860 Black would play the same as Simonis 860 Blue.

FYI My eyes are not what they used to be, so the last couple of times I have played 9 Ball on tables with black cloth, I have racked up with the black ball as the wing ball so there is a good chance I can pot it on the break.....because I struggle to see the edge of the 8ball on black cloth

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
It's going to show dirt/marks like crazy...even if you use black chalk, I predict it will look horrible after the first session, and you'll play heck trying to clean it up. Plus, as stated earlier, some of the balls just won't pop when you're down on the shot, the edges will be less distinct.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
My table has black felt and it sucks trying to keep it clean. I may be refelting it sooner than necessary because it is just a bear to keep looking good. My game is just as crappy on black felt as any other color so I dont think the color will make .02 worth of difference.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Felt?
Iti's not felt. Felt has no directional weave.
Please Google it…
Dave

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
What are the pros and cons of using black felt with respect to playability?

Well then since black is out, that brings to question; what is the best color? I have Simonis 860 HR in green, but my instructor has the same in blue. I think serious players want one of those two colors. Let's hear (read) the pros and cons of those two colors.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll be switching to Simonis 860HR in blue when I get my table redone next month. I've learned that blue is faster than green. Don't ask me to explain how that can be but I was told by an expert. I can attest that my teacher's table is covered with the blue and it is definitely faster than mine. Takes a really solid hit to get a 4 lengths & 1 diamond on my nine foot table. I can get a five on his..