Why Aren't More Taking the BU tests?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the tests today administered by my teacher; Robin Dreyer. I think its is a great test of skill, but there are a few ways it could be improved. It was the first time I'd seen the test and as a result didn't do as well as I think I could have. On one of the 5-6 balls runs, with ball in hand, I thought I was being super clever setting the CB up for a nice easy shot into the corner and the CB going two rails for the perfect conducive angle on the next ball. I scratched in the side pocket! That ended that with 0 points for that particular drill. Then in another, the CB hit another ball and gave me the perfect safety. Stupid!

The suspense is killing me here,,,,,, are you gonna show the drill or just plug Robin Dreyer yet again?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The suspense is killing me here,,,,,, are you gonna show the drill or just plug Robin Dreyer yet again?

Go to the first sticky under the main forum and see Dr. Dave's BU information. He keeps it updated with everybody that has taken the test. All the information is there. I truly believe Robin is in a class of his own when it comes to teaching pool but in this case, he was just a test examiner for BU. I guess everyone will have to wait until his book comes out to find out that his stuff is 100% his own and different than any other pool teacher's.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to the first sticky under the main forum and see Dr. Dave's BU information. He keeps it updated with everybody that has taken the test. All the information is there. I truly believe Robin is in a class of his own when it comes to teaching pool but in this case, he was just a test examiner for BU. I guess everyone will have to wait until his book comes out to find out that his stuff is 100% his own and different than any other pool teacher's.

I don't know why others don't take it. Why not have Robin take it?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took it. On a very tight (4.25") 9' Brunswick table and I got a good score.

I thought about posting it but then I realized I hadn't been precise about marking positions and I eyeballed and measured with my cue when I was trying to determine if I got the correct position, etc...

I decided against posting because I couldn't vouch for the integrity of my attempt even though I did my best to not fudge anything.

The test itself is pretty tedious to set up and the thought of doing it again and doing it exactly correctly didn't appeal much.

Also, I have never owned a jump cue so the jump shot part was basically a zero for me. That was discouraging.

I think probably a lot of people have done it the same way I did and just really didn't want to post or didn't feel like they did it precisely enough.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know why others don't take it. Why not have Robin take it?

Pool players are so funny! I wonder if Butch Harmon (number 1 golf teacher) has to qualify for the US Open and win before he can teach golf professionals? Robin quit playing years ago and became a pool teacher for the last 30+ years. An amazing contrast in thinking. Robin is a teacher.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players are so funny! I wonder if Butch Harmon (number 1 golf teacher) has to qualify for the US Open and win before he can teach golf professionals? Robin quit playing years ago and became a pool teacher for the last 30+ years. An amazing contrast in thinking. Robin is a teacher.

Please note that I never said anything about his playing ability equating to his teaching ability. YOU just did though.

The reason I asked you to have him try it is simply because I believe he at least used to be a very god player, and I know Dr. Dave would like some more scores from good players to better evaluate the test.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Please note that I never said anything about his playing ability equating to his teaching ability. YOU just did though.

The reason I asked you to have him try it is simply because I believe he at least used to be a very god player, and I know Dr. Dave would like some more scores from good players to better evaluate the test.

Robin plays extremely well, but he states his playing days are over. Now he is a teacher.