Dave38 - PM sent to you

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Here is my Microlux setup for repairs and parts, please excuse the mess.....enjoy.
20180214_141123.jpg

20180214_141131.jpg

20180214_141201.jpg

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave for the photos. That gives me some ideas to kick around. Since I only plan on doing shaft tips/ferrules (no one piece cues) I think I can save some money and skip a lot of the 80/20 Extruded Al cost by making the rear support fixed. Do you think mounting a pillow block and make a delrin collet would be best, or do I really need that much support? Maybe a simple padded v-block or fab a steady rest using rubber wheels would be enough? It seems like you just want to make sure there is some support so the rear of the shaft doesn't wobble around and cause damage.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The main reason I made it adjustable is that every shaft has different dia. and tapers, so if you want to have the same amount of shaft sticking out of the chuck, you have to have either an adjustable bearing support, or a large variety of different collets. A bearing support is better than just a v-block, you don't want friction generated heat to damage the finish etc. Rubber wheels will have to be adjusted to accommodate each shaft dia.
Dave