This is going to be my next restoration project

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GREAT ROOM!
I am sure your time and effort are well respected by those who have the pleasure to visit in person.
Hopefully you made it through the storms ok.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GREAT ROOM!
I am sure your time and effort are well respected by those who have the pleasure to visit in person.
Hopefully you made it through the storms ok.

Thanks Captain. Yes we were lucky and suffered minimal damage from the hurricane.

Here is a design I worked on today for my next project over the holidays as things will slow down in the shop. I've been wanting to build two new cue stick holders for some time. I had an idea what I wanted, just needed to sit down when the inspiration stuck.

I'm going to use a really nice dark stained oak for the background and then carve some of the ornamental detail elements top and bottom. I will use black plastic clips up top and mill butt hole pockets in the bottom tray.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Cue stick racks.jpg
    Cue stick racks.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 472

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
you got the coolest stuff and great talent.

and it looks like you enjoy putting your ideas into motion. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really do enjoy making this stuff. What's frustrating is waiting to find time. It's usually around now that I can get a few projects completed. Hoping to get a few more done before years end.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after sleeping on it, I made a few minor tweaks. I'm building two, one for each table and finishing off one with an 8 ball and the other a 9 ball. I'm going to slice the balls in half and attached them to the backing.

I've decided on doing the scrolls and vertical dots in hand spun 23k gold leaf.
I picked up a sheet of 3/4" Red Oak plywood today and the stain for the two tone background today. Start cutting and carving tomorrow. Hope to finish by Thanksgiving next week!

Will post finished picks once it's done...

Attachments

• Cue stick racks.jpg
    Cue stick racks.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 369

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I will use black plastic clips up top and mill butt hole pockets in the bottom tray.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome?
If it were me I would prefer felt lined holes at the top for the tips of the cues to go through rather than those plastic clips. I don't think the plastic clips look as classy and may not fit in the with class of the rest of your decor, and I am not a fan of the way most people tend to bend the sticks as they are pushing them into or pulling them out of those clips. All IMO of course. Something along the lines of the link below is what I am referring to (but felt lined) and it looks like it would be easy to incorporate into your existing design with only very minor design modifications like extending that upper "shelf" out just another couple of inches to allow enough room for the holes instead of the clips.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/2e/18/2d2e189017dc3a16649a857ab64b1395.jpg

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
SignManiac,

Pardon if you've already answered this before, but how much did it cost to build that external building, altogether? I amy be moving back to Florida and have some spare cash. I am looking whether it is more cost efficient to pay for a bigger house, or a smaller one with some land and pay for the construction of an external building.

Thanks,

Russ

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SignManiac,

Pardon if you've already answered this before, but how much did it cost to build that external building, altogether? I amy be moving back to Florida and have some spare cash. I am looking whether it is more cost efficient to pay for a bigger house, or a smaller one with some land and pay for the construction of an external building.

Thanks,

Russ

Interesting thought. Just keep in mind that it may be easier to sell the bigger house than the smaller house with a man cave out back. If you plan on being there until you're dead it doesn't matter much. Or stick a kitchen and bathroom in the other building then it can become a rental property!:thumbup:

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me I would prefer felt lined holes at the top for the tips of the cues to go through rather than those plastic clips. I don't think the plastic clips look as classy and may not fit in the with class of the rest of your decor, and I am not a fan of the way most people tend to bend the sticks as they are pushing them into or pulling them out of those clips. All IMO of course. Something along the lines of the link below is what I am referring to (but felt lined) and it looks like it would be easy to incorporate into your existing design with only very minor design modifications like extending that upper "shelf" out just another couple of inches to allow enough room for the holes instead of the clips.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/2e/18/2d2e189017dc3a16649a857ab64b1395.jpg

Poolplaya,

Just now getting back to this post and I went back and forth as to what would work best. Too late at this point as I went with the black clips, but I tied in other elements to make them easier to look at.

Finished photos below these last post.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racks took a little longer to finish up. I also made some last minute design changes. I built two of them identical, one for each table, one rack has an 8 ball on it and the other has a 9 ball.

Attachments

• Eight Ball Bottom Detail.jpg
    Eight Ball Bottom Detail.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 571
  • Eight Ball top detail.jpg
    Eight Ball top detail.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Eight Ball Wrack.jpg
    Eight Ball Wrack.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Nine Ball Wrack.jpg
    Nine Ball Wrack.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 571
  • WR-01.jpg
    WR-01.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SignManiac,

Thanks,

Russ

Russ I bought the house with the building already on it. The former owner put it up himself at a cost of $100k twelve years ago. I paid $275k for the one acre, 1,400 s.f., 2 bed, 2 bath house and the 6k s.f. shed. Then I put another $100k into the shed for electric, office space, AC, plumbing, ceptic, and complete house remodel.

And its true. Bigger house might be easier sell unless you can find a specific end user with a need for a man cave space that big. But I expect to die here.

Just cleaned out the other 4k s.f. this morning and have some ideas for expanding into that once the first part is done. Took this photo a little while ago.

Attachments

• Eventual space.jpg
    Eventual space.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thought. Just keep in mind that it may be easier to sell the bigger house than the smaller house with a man cave out back. If you plan on being there until you're dead it doesn't matter much. Or stick a kitchen and bathroom in the other building then it can become a rental property!:thumbup:

Easy I was just discussing the idea this morning with a good friend of building a 2K s.f. apartment inside and moving into it myself. Rent my house out for the mortgage payment. Only need a small kitchen, bath and bedroom because I already have living room space in the man cave portion! I think I would be happier living in the shed than in the house. Plus I can drive in and out of the apartment so I would never get wet in the rain!

Last edited:

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn almost forgot. I picked this up a couple of weeks ago off Craigslist. $200 for a air hockey table. Looks out of place so I will have to give this a decorative makeover.

I don't play the game but seems everyone else has before. Like Foosball it was not something I grew up with.

Attachments

• Air Hockey table.jpg
    Air Hockey table.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 561

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how I missed this thread the last few years, but sure glad I found it.

Amazing vision and execution! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Can't wait for the next installment.

Dave

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After having quite a few people over a few weeks ago for an 8 ball tournament, I soon realized that I didn't have enough seating and table space for everyone. After searching online I found a nice pub table with stools and ordered two sets. I will be adding another two in the future.

I decided to customize the tops with a steampunk design I threw together just to make them unique.

On my quest for a third pool table, the two I had originally looked at were sold already. I did happen to find an 8' Brunswick Ashbee I liked the look of and that will be delivered and set up Wednesday. I'll post a couple of picks when its finished. Putting new Simonis cloth on it shimming the pockets to match the Viscount table that I'm used to.

My original plan was to move the Gandy table out into my open bay area outside of the man cave. But after talking with friends they all think I should move the ping pong table outside and keep all three tables in the same room. The ping pong table gets very little use so that's the latest plan!

Not sure what the next piece of the puzzle is yet. I really need to tackle the bathroom wall so that may come next.

Attachments

• Man Cave Pub table-01.jpg
    Man Cave Pub table-01.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Man Cave Pub table-02.jpg
    Man Cave Pub table-02.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Man Cave Pub table-03.jpg
    Man Cave Pub table-03.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 472

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the Brunswick was set up yesterday and my friend Bill in the photo and I played on it for five hours. An 8' table seems really small to me but I'm adjusting to it fast. I had the pockets set up smaller that the other tables. Two balls side by side can't go in together and the cloth is Simonis 860 dark green.

Saturday we are having another 8 ball tournament so having a third table should give everyone more time to play. I'm not customizing this table in any way. I like it just the way it sits. Put the Gandy over where the ping pong table use to be and moved it outside in the open bay area of the shed.

I may have to seek professional help with regards to collecting pool tables.

Attachments

• Ashbee-03.jpg
    Ashbee-03.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Ashbee-02.jpg
    Ashbee-02.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 439
  • Ashbee-01.jpg
    Ashbee-01.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 437

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And... These just arrived. A new set of Brunswick Centennials for the new table. All set to play now!

Attachments

• Centennials.jpg
    Centennials.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 424

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice. That space just continues to get better and better every time I see an update:smile: