Is it bad etiquette when ......

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are playing in our weekly tournament with considerable $$ involved for the top finishers, you are shooting, and your opponent gets out of his chair to go take a look from the opposite side of the table you are preparing to shoot the shot from, to see exactly what the shot looks like or how hard a shot it is?

No, he doesn't stay there for long and goes back to his chair before you start in to your pre-shot routine, and no, it's not a shot that could potentially be a bad hit to need an observer called to the table to make a call on.

This player has done this move to a number of different players. As an opponent or a TD, do I have a right to instruct this player that this is really bad etiquette and that he should stay in his seat, unless he thinks the shot might need to be judged?

We have a few other players that wonder all over the poolroom when their opponent is shooting at the table. No, they are not getting in the way of matches on other tables, but they just can't stay seated and close to the table when their opponent is shooting. Is this a sharking move, and again, as an opponent or a TD, is it reasonable to instruct this player that he needs to stay in his seat while their opponent is shooting? We have plenty of spectator chairs located adjacent to each table, for players to make use of during matches.

- Thanks for all thoughtful and honest feedback!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Tell him keep his arse in the chair while his opponent is playing, and only approach the table if it's going to be a questionable hit. Tough shots are none of his business, and IMO he's only moving around and/or attempting to plant a seed of doubt as a sharking move. That's a butthead move & I don't have any issue telling my opponents to keep their butts in their seat. As a TD, you should announce the etiquette rule(s) at the beginning of the tourney & foul the idiot if he continues doing it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A classic shark move. Do it to them multiple times just so your sure they got the message. Another classic is after they miss and are walking back to their seat they say, "Your out from here for sure"..
Douche bag moves by douche bag players!

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Absolutely bad etiquette. I'd stand of to the side, or maybe just walk off and get a drink when he does that

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know about leagues but it is really poor form

it is hard to respond

perhaps walking up to him and asking him if he wants to
look again before you shoot,now is the time

with gamblers,etiquette is always perfect

sportsmanship is supreme,especially when playing high

of course low bets are frequented with bullies,and bad actors
but once the bet gets over $200 pr game things like this seldom happen

i would recommend you quit playing cheap pool

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament I play in the TD tells everyone
When your opponent is at the table you sit in the chair or you forfeit the set

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Another classic is after they miss and are walking back to their seat they say, "Your out from here for sure"..

I like the ones who say, "good game", like it's over. I ask them if that means they concede the game, and are ready to start the new one. They always say no that's not what they meant, and never say it to me again.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it is hard to respond

The snobbery is strong with this one lol. Some of us cheap players have manners too. I’ve also seen a lot of boorish behavior by top players.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad form for sure. When I t’s not your shot just sit in the chair, it’s easy. This actually happens reasonably often in the league I play in and thankfully it doesn’t bother me so I don’t even care....it would throw me off my game more to stop my process and say something (plenty of other things do though so I get it).

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Chris invite this person to join AZ billiards forum and once that happens point him out to us. We will work him over real good;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it is hard to respond

This is a weekly 9-ball tourney this player plays in which I'm referring to, but the calcutta purse alone is sometimes 4 figures with up to $500 for first place, so it is serious business for most players. I feel like sharking moves such as this should absolutely not be tolerated and that player should be called out by either the opponent or myself, as the TD.

JC

Coos Cues
In a rotation game you know what ball is the next target for your opponent after you miss so if you want to take a quick look at the layout you should do it as you're leaving.
Nothing wrong with this. Inquiring minds want to know.

Just don't come back for a second look until I miss. I consider approaching the table when it's not your shot a concession of the game as the only possible activity that involves you at this point in time is racking the balls. So I assume that's what you have in mind.

JC

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what you are saying if it is happening to you is that you shark real easy and want it to stop. just tell him to stop it.

as the t.d. you say something if a player asks you to. it may not bother anyone since he does it before they are at the table.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This move has been around forever! I learned to stand there and just watch them and when they're done looking I might ask them if it goes. Better to make light of it then to get upset (then you will be sharked). If you don't make a big deal out of it and keep making good shots, that stuff will soon end.

As a TD, I might remind the offending player to sit down when their turn was over, that walking back to the table to check out how the balls lay is unnecessary and bad sportsmanship.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really have a problem with it unless your down on the shot when he does it. Once you step into the shot then he should stay where he. You can do an Irish jig around the table when I’m standing up making my decision for all I care lol it doesn’t effect me

Reactions: JC

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You are playing in our weekly tournament with considerable $$ involved for the top finishers, you are shooting, and your opponent gets out of his chair to go take a look from the opposite side of the table you are preparing to shoot the shot from, to see exactly what the shot looks like or how hard a shot it is?

No, he doesn't stay there for long and goes back to his chair before you start in to your pre-shot routine, and no, it's not a shot that could potentially be a bad hit to need an observer called to the table to make a call on.

This player has done this move to a number of different players. As an opponent or a TD, do I have a right to instruct this player that this is really bad etiquette and that he should stay in his seat, unless he thinks the shot might need to be judged?

We have a few other players that wonder all over the poolroom when their opponent is shooting at the table. No, they are not getting in the way of matches on other tables, but they just can't stay seated and close to the table when their opponent is shooting. Is this a sharking move, and again, as an opponent or a TD, is it reasonable to instruct this player that he needs to stay in his seat while their opponent is shooting? We have plenty of spectator chairs located adjacent to each table, for players to make use of during matches.

- Thanks for all thoughtful and honest feedback!

In amateur events, anything goes. In a pro match, seated is your position when not shooting. There are good people in this world and there are ''these'' types of personalities. Since they are predictable, and you know it's coming deal with it in your own way. Personally, if I knew he was getting up to do his routine, at the same moment I'd probably walk across the room, away from our table, and start talking with a few buds....EXACTLY the same time he's doing his thing.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I have a friend, Steve, who does that kind of crap a lot. He thinks it is subliminal and he's being smart. It isn't and he ain't.

I used to get mad and all that and let it disrupt my game, but now I've got a better way...

When someone does that, I say to myself as I'm lining up, "Thanks, Steve," and suddenly everything goes calm. In other words, I'm using my history of being sharked to deal with new sharking now. By thanking him for helping my game, I take away his and others' power to disrupt me.

Steve has also learned something by my method: his parlor tricks don't work on me, so he's stopped doing 'em.

Thanks, Steve.

Jeff Livingston

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of his/her turn a player should give-up the table and move away. They shouldn't survey their opponent's shot, stand next to the table nor their opponent, nor return to the table to take or put back chalk.

It's surprising to me how many experienced players do not practice the above.