Transitioning from 760 to 860

DirtyHarry

Registered
I grew up playing on 760 cloth....but I now moved to Europe and just about every table I play on is lined with 860. I am trying everything I can to try and help CB control. It's almost like I'm playing a different game. I have a huge difficulty placing the rock where I want...I try to adjust my stroke speed, English, cue level....and still.

Any suggested exercises that might help? Tips? Thanks!

Harry

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up playing on 760 cloth....but I now moved to Europe and just about every table I play on is lined with 860. I am trying everything I can to try and help CB control. It's almost like I'm playing a different game. I have a huge difficulty placing the rock where I want...I try to adjust my stroke speed, English, cue level....and still.

Any suggested exercises that might help? Tips? Thanks!

Harry

I recommend 1-2 hours of practice on 860 daily, followed by some 12 ounce curls. :thumbup:

DirtyHarry

Registered
Try changing the weight of your cue. I find my heavier cue works for me on slower tables

I thought about that....I invested a great deal in my custom cue and I really don't want to change it. It fits and shoots like a champ on faster tables. But here in Greece....it's muggy and humid all the time so 860 is like playing on a golf course it's so slow. Maybe just get a plain Jane production cue that's an ounce or two heavier for now.

DirtyHarry

Registered
I recommend 1-2 hours of practice on 860 daily, followed by some 12 ounce curls. :thumbup:

I put a lot more time than that into my game.....and still, every time I first approach the table, it takes a while to erase that "faster speed" muscle memory. I can get closer to my game after a few racks....but it's VERY frustrating to say the least. And the humidity/weather here in Greece really is a BIG factor. I'm guessing 760 will play more like 860HR with this kind of humidity....

Harry

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Thought you were talking Fargo Rating at first! What a perfectionist to not be happy with a 760!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about that....I invested a great deal in my custom cue and I really don't want to change it. It fits and shoots like a champ on faster tables. But here in Greece....it's muggy and humid all the time so 860 is like playing on a golf course it's so slow. Maybe just get a plain Jane production cue that's an ounce or two heavier for now.

Try a buddy's that is heavier and see if it works for you. I don't think it plays any better. I think it's more psychological.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
No quick fixes or magic bullets.

Practice.

Some ideas.

Practice Lag Shots.

Practice CB position to the center of the table, use a sheet of paper as a target first. One and two rail shots to start.

Shoot drills that require you to go short rail to short rail leaving enough of an angle to get move that CB to opposite ends of table.

Straight draw shots bringing the CB back to a target.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No quick fixes or magic bullets.

Practice.

Some ideas.

Practice Lag Shots.

Practice CB position to the center of the table, use a sheet of paper as a target first. One and two rail shots to start.

Shoot drills that require you to go short rail to short rail leaving enough of an angle to get move that CB to opposite ends of table.

Straight draw shots bringing the CB back to a target.

After that, dont forget the 12oz curls...... :grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player's room I grew up in in Philly has had 760 for the 25 years its been open, changed every 6 month to 1 year. The neighboring rooms have 860. I find it easy as pie to play in any of those rooms:) YMMV.

hayes1699

Registered
In an effort to slow down you may be decelerating your stroke. Be sure to maintain acceleration, just do so at a slightly slower rate.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Your a pool player, it's normal to expect too much too quick. To me it almost sounds like a golfer saying how good he plays, except when it's raining out. :D Adjust, & practice, you've chosen the most difficult game on the planet welcome to the wine nerz club of American. We've all been unregistered members before. :)

I grew up playing in a dry climate on dry tables. When I traveled into the deep south and played pool in 100% humidity, with dirty cloth and balls.....that adjustment was greater than ANY cloth.

Watch the cue ball when it contacts the object ball, within that collision and outcome, lies your answer, just become more observant of the moment instead of the choice you've made to create this thread.

When I was younger, I could watch someone play and get the table speed down in my head with out hitting a single ball. Watch what/how collisions are reacting.