Brian Mordt (BCM)
Joss West
Oscer Mireles
Mark Moore (with the big pins)

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Frey website

You guys made already know this but I just found it today. Bob Frey now has a website, FREYCUES.COM. He's been making sneaky pete's and customs, for years, that are among the best made.

I put pics of my 1991 Frey custom on this site in either 2011 or 2012. You can see it by doing a search under member name henrylr.

We talked many times and he did great mods, I requested, on my cue. I described all the specifics, and mods of the cue, on this site under henrylr. He's a great guy to talk too and work with.

Regards,
henrylr

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus Szamboti

Tad

Tim Scruggs

Tascarella

Richard Black

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am revising my original ranking (June 2013) which was Prewitt, Mottey, Hercek, Scruggs & Ginacue........

I have gotten to play with my pool cues from Bob & Jerry quite a bit.........I am torn over which hits the best but there's absolutely no doubt whatsoever
both cues hit better than most cues I've tried. It's hard to compare when I must rely upon my recollection of other cues either I've owned or played with.

In any event, let me just report to those whom might not have had the experience yet........play with a cue made by either Messrs. Owen or Rauenzahn.
You cannot go wrong with either cue-maker..........got my Owens summer of 2014 and my Jerry R. this past spring.........Whew......Wow..

Both play better than the Mottey I sold to acquire my Prewitt..... better than my Scruggs..........and are genuinely equal to my Prewitt cue's playability in
every aspect. These guys make such great cues that I've ordered another custom cue from Bob and also another custom cue from Jerry. Next summer
there will be two new hatchlings for my small brood of pool cues due to the skills of Bob O. and Jerry.....2 great people whom are cue-makers as well.

Matt B.

p.s. Both Bob and Jerry earned my respect, admiration and as my actions attest, my customer patronage as well.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I love my Carolina Custom, but I've got to say the best hitting cues I've ever swung were all Schons! There's just something about their balance and "substantial" feel...for (admittedly high end) production cues, they are the most well built and consistent I've ever seen--and I've seen a lot.

Okay, it's been a few years, so I've tried a few I've never had the opportunity to try before...I love my Jerry Rauenzahn cue and my old Schon STL17. I've since hit with a Lambros, Black Boar, Diveney (that was actually pretty close to top five for me, I'm rarely surprised/impressed, but that cue really was impressive) and a Tascarella. None of them top my Schon (#1) or my -R- (close #2, maybe tied for #1). On a side note, it's been over 20 years, but my McDermott D series cues all hit great, too, so anyone that lists them in top 5 knows what they're talking about...they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, they really were great made/balanced cues.

If I knew no better and wanted a guaranteed great hitting cue, I'd go with a Schon, any vintage. I've hit with many Schons over the years from all eras, and they all felt like solid gold to me.

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
I haven't played with all the cues out there but my top 5.

Mike Webb
Samsara (god I miss mine :( )
Scruggs
Schon
Predator First Generation 12 splice.

Last edited:

MalibuMike

Banned
Wow! As far as Custom Cues, No one has Mentioned...

#1. Burt Shrager!
When I was on top of my game I played with a Shrager I bought off of Ron Rosas at House of Billiards Sherman Oaks, Mid- 80's. Best cue I ever had!
1aa1f0490.jpg

When I looked into the top Custom Cues after an 18 year gap (Married with Children) I hit with most of the cues mentioned here but found my favorite by far to be to be a Tim Padgett cue! Also not mentioned here! Tim worked for both Burt and Ernie, which makes him the Cue Monster!
#2. Tim Padgett!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wish I could afford one of the above, but I like My Schon STL-15's just fi:smile:ne!

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scruggs
Joss West (Bill Stroud Era)
Bob Frey
Andy Gilbert
Mike Cochran

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schick
Searing
Szamboti
Showman
South West

They do not play alike, but they all play great, IMO.

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
David Paul Kersenbrock - (Chicago) Changed cues and cue making forever.

Southwest Cues (Las Vegas) - A 7+ tear waiting list speaks for itself. Jerry passed on his vast knowledge and skill to Laurie. She has kept the standard of Southwest at the Top of all cues in performance.

Ricard Black - (Texas) A very talented cue maker that took art and functionality to a new level.

Tad Cues - Tad took his craftsmanship in every cue that he made vary personal. He remembered every cue and person that ordered a cue from him. Tad was actually concerned with the customer's reviews on his work and it was always top notch.

Chris Nitti Cues - (Orlando) Chris is a perfectionist of the highest caliber. He is very proud of every cue that he makes or it will not be sold. His skill in cue making only gets better by the day.

There are a lot of other great cue makers around and the competition for turning out great cues is a tough job. Thank all of them for all of them trying to take each player's game to a new level.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, it's been over 20 years, but my McDermott D series cues all hit great, too, so anyone that lists them in top 5 knows what they're talking about...they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, they really were great made/balanced cues.

I have a McDermott C-14 that I can say the same thing about.

The old McDermott cues were made well and played well. I haven't tried many of the newer ones to make a comparison.

I also have a McDermott RS-11 that plays well, but I use a Meucci Pro shaft on it instead of the original shaft. I'm saving the original shaft in case I ever sell the cue.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
David Paul Kersenbrock - (Chicago) Changed cues and cue making forever.

Southwest Cues (Las Vegas) - A 7+ tear waiting list speaks for itself. Jerry passed on his vast knowledge and skill to Laurie. She has kept the standard of Southwest at the Top of all cues in performance.

Ricard Black - (Texas) A very talented cue maker that took art and functionality to a new level.

Tad Cues - Tad took his craftsmanship in every cue that he made vary personal. He remembered every cue and person that ordered a cue from him. Tad was actually concerned with the customer's reviews on his work and it was always top notch.

Chris Nitti Cues - (Orlando) Chris is a perfectionist of the highest caliber. He is very proud of every cue that he makes or it will not be sold. His skill in cue making only gets better by the day.

There are a lot of other great cue makers around and the competition for turning out great cues is a tough job. Thank all of them for all of them trying to take each player's game to a new level.

nitti is my player and i strongly recommend him as a cuemaker....:thumbup: