Most Over Priced Cue

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your deal with all the 'what's the best'/ 'what's the worst' questions?

One with a little common sense would understand that there is no 'best', once there are choices established.

What's the best car? What's the best food? What's the best shoe...?

WTF?! There is no prize for starting the most threads.

Some of us, myself included, like these kinds of "what is the best" and "what is the worst" questions. Of course they call for subjective responses, but so does much of human interaction. I like them because I enjoy reading about people's experiences with different cues, shafts, cases, whatever. I realize that the responses are based on those people's individual preferences, but they are still informative to me. That's why I read them and the many comments people post in reply to them.

If I didn't like them, I wouldn't be here. I'd be reading some other thread with content I preferred.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Some of us, myself included, like these kinds of "what is the best" and "what is the worst" questions. Of course they call for subjective responses, but so does much of human interaction. I like them because I enjoy reading about people's experiences with different cues, shafts, cases, whatever. I realize that the responses are based on those people's individual preferences, but they are still informative to me. That's why I read them and the many comments people post in reply to them.

If I didn't like them, I wouldn't be here. I'd be reading some other thread with content I preferred.

Hi,

Tap! One man's crap is another man's bread and butter.

Rick

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Any cue I want...and can't afford...is over-priced.

The boards have been full of overpriced cues since the day I signed up here.

Weird.......

:grin:

Safety Patrol

Safety Patrol
Artwork doesn't make the cue play better

I'm new here and am finding some of the opinions here surprising.

It sounds like a bunch of guys who have spent far too much money on cues. So much money, that they have to justify to themselves, that they have purchased a better cue than a less expensive cue. They have clouded their judgment of what makes a good "playing" cue.

I would like someone to explain how a cue maker could possibly make a cue that is so much better than another cue maker, that he would get so much definitive praise that it's better than others.

I assume all established cue makers have access to the same tools and the process is similar in making each cue. (I could be wrong?)

The major manufacturers of production cues have larger budgets for research and development. They also have more money to purchase the best machinery possible for the tightest tolerances possible. They also have performance shafts.

I have a friend that has a $4000 cue (that's what he tells me.) and it hits just like any other cue that cost more than $200. It doesn't have a performance shaft and is therefore more difficult to be accurate with. How is this a better playing cue? And why would anyone think this?

If you want to spend money on art, go for it! I won't deny custom cues with intricate inlays are very impressive, and nice to look at, but they don't play any better.

Just my opinion.

BTW: I play with a Sneaky Pete Predator with a Z2 shaft. About $340, and never played with a more accurate tool of the game.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard the same thing.I know a guy that had a Boar and went back to
a Schon.But man,that Boar looked awesome.

i've played with 5-6 black boars and they all looked great but none played as well as a few cheaper cues i've used. like runde era schons and my mordt

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Best car; 1969 GTO
Best food; Pizza (even when its bad, its still good)
Best shoe; The original Air Jordans

<~~~the was easy.

My opinion:

Best car: 1968 Mustang (Shelby GT)

Best food: Good 'ol Texas Bar-B-Que

Best shoe: Converse (Chuck Taylor) All-Star

Maniac

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
best car: porche 550 spider (good enough for James Dean.)
best food: cheese burger (this is America god damn it!)
best shoe: converse allstars. (garrunteed to make a kid run faster and jump higher.)

Now that you all know you guys can stop arguing...

I love this thread.

Justin

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
best car: porche 550 spider (good enough for James Dean.)
best food: cheese burger (this is America god damn it!)
best shoe: converse allstars. (garrunteed to make a kid run faster and jump higher.)

You cannot claim Porsche then use the USA as a reason to claim cheeseburgers.

I originally thought cheeseburger because of its versatility but went with pizza so I could include vegans.

<~~MMMMM...vegan pizza......yummy...

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best equipment doesn't mean best attention to quality...

Production cue brands I have bought that I feel are overpriced: Meucci, Joss, McDermott. I returned all of the Meucci items due to quality issues...
I never used them because I bought something different after I returned the defective items.

McDermott is okay quality wise, I just dont like the prices. I have had issues with the first 2 on the list more than once. I will never buy either of those again.

...I would like someone to explain how a cue maker could possibly make a cue that is so much better than another cue maker, that he would get so much definitive praise that it's better than others...
The major manufacturers of production cues have larger budgets for research and development. They also have more money to purchase the best machinery possible for the tightest tolerances possible....

What you could consider is that those high end production companies with all the cash to buy the "best" equipment tend to make their inlays and pockets with wider tolerances, so that their cues can be assembled quickly, filled with a dark epoxy to hide flaws, and make a quick profit.

Some brands tend to be better than others, but I think I would prefer a plain jane production cue over a fancy one for the fact that there are less areas to mess up.

I think that a cuemaker worth his or her salt (ie: one that cares more about the quality of the product more than the profits) with decent equipment could turn out a higher quality cue than any high volume production shop.

My last internet purchases for several different production shafts and cues caused me to go with my first custom cue order.
I have been very pleased with my Dzuricky Cue.
Best bang for the buck on the forum for me so far? Jim Baxter custom joint protectors.

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best Car: 64 Chevy Impala SS Rag Top
Best Food: New Way Lunch "Dirt Dogs"
Best Shoe: Sneakers

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simply the NOT best

Best car: '69 Z28 Camaro 302
Best food: In 'n' Out DoubleDouble
Best shoe: Gucci loafer (Efren model)

Overpriced cue? Southwest... I owned a BEM 'Pacifier' with the most
insane BE and flame, just did not hit well. Sold it to someone who in
turn sold it.

Tad gives Southwest the seven ball,
Scruggs gives Southwest the seven and out.

Sensei418

Registered
Looks or performance?

Once you hit around 700 retail anything over that isn't going to preform better, but you'll be paying for ascetics only.