Photo album of snooker cue from Canada

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to share here some snooker cues pictures:
http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv355/auroracues/
These cues are all hand made in the traditional UK hand spliced fashion. (Four splices of ebony are spliced onto the ash shaft and then hand planned in stages. All additional splices are then hand spliced and planned in stages.)
Thank you.

Last edited:

sneaky_russian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to share here some snooker cues pictures:
http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv355/auroracues/
These cues are all hand made in the traditional UK hand spliced fashion. (Four splices of ebony are spliced onto the ash shaft and then hand planned in stages. All additional splices are then hand spliced and planned in stages.)
Thank you.

Absolutely amazing cues!!!
I love them!!!!
When Terry get's his from you Airin I'll definetly try it in action and I'm sure it's going to shoot as amazing as it looks!!!!
keep it up!!! =)))))

p.s: very excited to get my chalk pouch from you... =) hope it comes tomorrow =)))) I want to try it SO BAD!!!!

Wity

Banned
Hiya Poolcuejunkie / Aurora / Arin any other names?

Having seen your work before from a post on the goons forum and like the look of your work very much. Meant to ask you a few times but never got round to it where do you get your invisible joints from?

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi wity,

Thank you for the compliment on my cues. I really appreciate it.

Wood to wood joint has been used for decades in American pool cues--for example, Southwest, DPK, Blue Grass...all use a 3/8 pin with a flat faced wood to wood contact.

I have asked Trevor White and other cue makers why they did not used this type of joint about 2 years ago, the response was something like, "if it ain't broken, why fix it?"

The first snooker cue I saw made with an invisble joint was one made by the late Tom Gauthier from Canada about 7-10 years ago. It was one of the five 3/4 snooker cues the late Tom Gauthier has ever made. He put a black phenolic collar around the joint to prevent the wood from spliting--it was black phenolic on ebony so was virtually invisible. It has a 5/16x14 pin inside, and it looks just like a one piece cue.

When I decided to make some snooker cues, I have discussed via emails with Mike Wooldridge about the joint and his new joint and so on, and he gave me lots of very valuable input and advice.

Originally, I used an airlock joint (which I purchased from another manufacturer) recessed with wood to wood contact on the outer rim of the joint face. The airlock is a very complex joint, and I was not convinced that it was the best joint for my application.

I have now settled for a different design, which does not involves the threads hidden inside a tube. It is a suction style joint, which only takes three turns to tighten. Most importantly, I am able to machine this myself to ensure they are all made to my exact standards.

Thank you once again for your compliment of Aurora cues, it means a lot coming from someone who has owned lots of top class snooker cues.:smile:

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just want to let everyone know that I have uploaded a few pictures of a cue I just finished. It is a 3/4 which features 4 zirocote splices, with 4 secondary snakewood splices, with 8 maple veneers, 4 ebony points with ash.
Thank you.

Wity

Banned
Nice long splice of snakewood there mate. Got me a preference for long splices like a womans long fingernails only they dont draw blood from your back. :D

So is this going to be a hobby a part time job or a full blown career then?

btw I've not had as you think any of the top cuemakers cues barring the one Trevor White I bought 2nd hand. I'm more of a bargin hunter than a lable collector. Trevors, Mikes and other so called top cuemakers cues may be perfectly made and use the finest possible materials but the gap between say a £120 cue made in Thailand and a top end cue at £400 is in my book £120 v £180. Good luck to all of them that can have waiting lists and charge high prices but gimme a 32 ford deuce hot rod over a Rolls Royce any day.

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:smile:
Nice long splice of snakewood there mate. Got me a preference for long splices like a womans long fingernails only they dont draw blood from your back. :D

So is this going to be a hobby a part time job or a full blown career then?

btw I've not had as you think any of the top cuemakers cues barring the one Trevor White I bought 2nd hand. I'm more of a bargin hunter than a lable collector. Trevors, Mikes and other so called top cuemakers cues may be perfectly made and use the finest possible materials but the gap between say a £120 cue made in Thailand and a top end cue at £400 is in my book £120 v £180. Good luck to all of them that can have waiting lists and charge high prices but gimme a 32 ford deuce hot rod over a Rolls Royce any day.

Hi,

So far only been able to build about 6 cues or so every 3-4 months. It takes lots of time as I do most of the work by hand, trying to make the cues as perfect as can be. Cannot really make this a full time job that is for sure.

Last edited:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
:smile:

Hi,

So far only been able to build about 6 cues or so every 3-4 months. It takes lots of time as I do most of the work by hand, trying to make the cues as perfect as can be. Cannot really make this a full time job that is for sure.

I really like the look of the snakewood cue.

Have you made any pool cues? Do you have a website that AzBers can visit?

Are there any U.S. snooker players who have your cues?

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the look of the snakewood cue.

Have you made any pool cues? Do you have a website that AzBers can visit?

Are there any U.S. snooker players who have your cues?

Thank you. :)

Sorry, no web site. I only build a few cues every few months.

As far as I know, no US snooker player has purchased a snooker cue from me.

Aurora

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried pearwood but I did not like the way it hits at all. Never work with hornbeam, or hickory. I believe they are mostly found only on antique cues.