Don "The Preacher" Freeny

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was just talking about the Preacher in another thread last week.
He ran 100 + at snooker and straight pool and 10 + at 3-cushion in the same day at
Chris's Billiards in Chicago....never heard of anyone else doing that.

I hear he's alive and well and living in Florida.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He lives in Naperville Illinois, I use to live in the same area many years ago, a friend and I took an all day lesson from him, and at lunch time we took a break and walked a short distance from his house, to his favorite hotdog place for hot dogs, his treat. He had so many stories, it was awesome, he knew every one who played, pros and even regular joes, he had quite the memory. Check the phone book, he is probably in it, if he still gives lessons, partner up with someone and make the trip, you will enjoy it.

I just noticed the post where it said he lives in Florida, never dreamed he would move from his place in Naperville, probably the weather.

Last edited:

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
I ran into Don at Diamond Billiards in Cape Coral, Florida about 2 years. He told me at that time that he was living in The Villages, a gigantic senior community of over 100,000 in central Florida.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate to play a handful of frames of snooker with Don "The Preacher" Feeney back around 1990 or so at both Chris' Billiards and at his namesake Preacher's Billiards in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. Lots of useful advice from a guy with a deep understanding of the games.

He ran a 106 against me, mostly pinks. By far the best non-professional break I have ever seen compiled.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that video. One of the best instructional videos on stroking that I have seen. One can really learn from that.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I've watched Don's videos but never connected that he's the "Match to Mr. Felson, 11 games to 5" referee.

The above YouTube video is snippet from one of the eight videos Don has on Bert Kinister's web page. According to Bert, one day in 1990 Don ran 152 in straight pool, a 147 in snooker, and 18 in 3-cushion.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any videos of his matches? Seems like a great player to watch.

Doesn't he have a diamond kicking system video out also?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it's true that Don Feeney moved to The Villages to retire, and lived there several years, IIRC he was forced to move back to the Chicago area to help take care of a family member. He's been back in IL for at least a year, maybe two. Perhaps someone from the IBC can comment on Preacher. With his love of straight pool, seems like he might play there. He would certainly be in his late 70's, early 80's. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Holy crap! 100+,100+, and 10+ in the same day is impressive enough. If those numbers are correct, that's flat out amazing. :eek::eek::eek:

I don't think he ran a 147 at snooker....if I recall right, it was in the 130s.
....and I believe the carom run was 14.
...the straight pool run was at least 150.

A guy was telling me this over 20 years ago....so I may be off....
...but Don was the third party in the conversation...he was the one who corrected the
figures.....and he certainly earned his nick name 'The Preacher'......he played about a
million times better than you would expect him to play....no misspent youth here.

Some other time I will tell how he firmed my resolve to despise heavy cloth.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be some sort of sign hanging at Chris's in Chicago that told the numbers.

This is from Ding Dong Daddys website.
In one day in 1990 "The Preacher" ran 152 balls then had a perfect rack of
snooker before he went to the billiard table and ran 18,3 cushion billiards.

http://www.bertkinister.com/don_the_peacher_feeney.html

I dont know if his info is accurate or not, but I wouldnt be surprised. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There used to be some sort of sign hanging at Chris's in Chicago that told the numbers.

This is from Ding Dong Daddys website.
In one day in 1990 "The Preacher" ran 152 balls then had a perfect rack of
snooker before he went to the billiard table and ran 18,3 cushion billiards.

http://www.bertkinister.com/don_the_peacher_feeney.html

I dont know if his info is accurate or not, but I wouldnt be surprised. ;)

A perfect rack of snooker could be 15 reds and the colors....in other words, a table run.
....a 138 could satisfy this definition.
A 147 is known as a maximum....the most you can score without your opponent fouling...
....and leaving you a free ball.
155 is possible, but it needs your opponent's cooperation.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To clarify, my claim that Don ran 147 in Snooker was just my interpretation of the same above quote from Bert's web page.

The conversation I had that Don Feeney was involved in may have been over two decades
ago, but I think I would remember the figure 147.

I'm not sure if anybody has ran a 147 ever in the USA....anybody know?......
....maybe one of the Asian immigrants?