The weather has nothing to do with pool, or does it?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
My weather story:
It's the national championship in my country and after a long day of playing, with high humidity outside and lots of people inside, the airconditioner cannot cope and the temperature was rising. Outside it was a lot colder and raining. Some genius decides to open a window, next to a table where the quarter final (correction it was the game before the quarter final) was about to be played. Instantly cooling the room, but also soaking the cushions with moisture. These are tournament grade tables with super fast cushions, new(ish) cloth and fairly tight pockets.

Now this was during a break these two players were taking, and the window was shut before they came back. The players had warmed up on the table previously. The changing conditions completely blindsided the two players and threw them off their games. The balls were rocketing off the cushion and banking extremely short, reversing wildly. Nothing the players were doing was working, the inside english didn't slow the ball down at all, the running english did not extend the angle much, rather pushed the ball off the cushion even faster. The game progresses slowly as no player can build any respectable breaks, a couple of 30s and safes. A couple of very short breaks happened also, because the balls kept hanging up. This is a straight pool match to 125.

One player in particular was struggling to control the white ball, and in a very critical position on a secundary breakball completely lost control of the white as it came flying off the cushion at a speed which seemed to defy the laws of physics. He then lost all position, tried to play safe but the other player ran 40 and out. The losing player was me. I don't particularly care about losing that game anymore, but I'll always remember it as the most extreme change in playing conditions I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My weather story:
It's the national championship in my country and after a long day of playing, with high humidity outside and lots of people inside, the airconditioner cannot cope and the temperature was rising. Outside it was a lot colder and raining. Some genius decides to open a window, next to a table where the quarter final (correction it was the game before the quarter final) was about to be played. Instantly cooling the room, but also soaking the cushions with moisture. These are tournament grade tables with super fast cushions, new(ish) cloth and fairly tight pockets.

Now this was during a break these two players were taking, and the window was shut before they came back. The players had warmed up on the table previously. The changing conditions completely blindsided the two players and threw them off their games. The balls were rocketing off the cushion and banking extremely short, reversing wildly. Nothing the players were doing was working, the inside english didn't slow the ball down at all, the running english did not extend the angle much, rather pushed the ball off the cushion even faster. The game progresses slowly as no player can build any respectable breaks, a couple of 30s and safes. A couple of very short breaks happened also, because the balls kept hanging up. This is a straight pool match to 125.

One player in particular was struggling to control the white ball, and in a very critical position on a secundary breakball completely lost control of the white as it came flying off the cushion at a speed which seemed to defy the laws of physics. He then lost all position, tried to play safe but the other player ran 40 and out. The losing player was me. I don't particularly care about losing that game anymore, but I'll always remember it as the most extreme change in playing conditions I've ever experienced.

Not just the weather, but even the lighting, heating etc.

You often hear commentators talk about how the TV table plays differently for example.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My weather story:

Weather can be a huge factor. Living in Okla. we see humidity levels that range from Gulf of Mex. muggy to near arctic dryness. Table speed and rebound angles can make huge swings in hours if not minutes. On a muggy day here you can make banks that appear to defy all laws of physics.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It’s well known that humidity makes cloth “stickier”, and that makes rails rebound shorter. I don’t see how it would make rails rebound faster.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The pool world needs heated slates like the 3-cushion has enjoyed for a long time.
....snooker finally caught on.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it does not

What nonsense, Deanoc, told me he did a in depth study using cutting edge
technology, under the most extreme conditions to put the rumors about
this to rest once and for all. He transformed his house into a rain forest,
with plants and trees keeping the temperature between 100 and 130
with 99.9% humidity. After playing for 8 hrs non-stop he had it changed
to 72 degrees with 20% humidity and played the same length of time.
The results were conclusive. There was absolutely no difference. He never
made a ball either way. He says he will now tackle the LD shaft theory.
His findings are available for a small fee. Sorry no pictures, but you will
be thrilled and the talk of the pool room.
jack

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My weather story:

i don’t know where it stands, but weather conditions are a pretty elementary part of pool.

Maybe we’ve gotten away from the discussions because of all the pristine conditions we expect to play under, but standard weather comments still happen with Danny D, so I’d think everyone is clued into what happens with humidity.

One of the areas that really take a change are the your bank angles.

Freddie <~~~ all wet

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s well known that humidity makes cloth “stickier”, and that makes rails rebound shorter. I don’t see how it would make rails rebound faster.

pj
chgo
When a ball rolls straight into a "normal" cushion, it comes off the cushion without any follow or draw -- it is "stunning" off the cushion.

On brand new cloth, you usually see such a ball (use a stripe) come off the cushion with a little of the same spin it went into the cushion with. It was follow in but it is draw coming off the cushion. That will tend to slow the ball down more as it leaves the cushion, because the draw has to be cancelled before the ball is sliding. (New cloth: cushions slow, bed fast)

On sticky cloth, the cushion grabs the ball, winds up, and shoots the ball away from the cushion with follow to begin with. This can look like the ball leaves the cushion with more speed than it had going in, but it has actually slowed down, just not as much as with normal cushions.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

When a ball rolls straight into a "normal" cushion, it comes off the cushion without any follow or draw -- it is "stunning" off the cushion.

On brand new cloth, you usually see such a ball (use a stripe) come off the cushion with a little of the same spin it went into the cushion with. It was follow in but it is draw coming off the cushion. That will tend to slow the ball down more as it leaves the cushion, because the draw has to be cancelled before the ball is sliding. (New cloth: cushions slow, bed fast)

On sticky cloth, the cushion grabs the ball, winds up, and shoots the ball away from the cushion with follow to begin with. This can look like the ball leaves the cushion with more speed than it had going in, but it has actually slowed down, just not as much as with normal cushions.
Oh, so it's not exactly rebounding faster; it's just slowing down less afterward - and the culprit is also the stickier rail cloth. Thanks, Bob - a day I learn something is a good day.

pj <- shoulda thoughta that
chgo

P.S. Since the direction of the "rail-induced" follow is directly crosstable (across the CB's rebound angle), that would also have the effect of swerving the ball shorter, right?

P.P.S. And so sticky cloth is best for winning the "Bend the Bank" challenge... hmmm...

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool world needs heated slates like the 3-cushion has enjoyed for a long time.
....snooker finally caught on.

Earl recently proclaimed, “If they heated pool tables like 3 cushion tables, I would never miss a ball.”

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Both players have to play the same table, right? So, all else being equal, which it never is, he who adapts fastest wins.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe, but it's still a great mentality to carry around.
If you're in a match, you have to do the best you can in those conditions, but it doesn't mean you have to like or approve of the equipment.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would take playing on less that ideal 'weather' conditions on a pool table sparse in comparison than playing 18 holes in the rain any day.

-Kat,

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wet

Playing One Pocket or Banks on a wet table is a non-starter... when the air in a room is humid and your cue is sticky, forget it... the "all things being equal" rule doesn't apply.