Hoppe's book

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Under $11 delivered to your door. If anyone here does not yet have this classic, maybe this is your chance.

CropperCapture[106].png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That link pointed to a "print on demand" book source in India. I have seen one such reprint that was about half-size which makes the text illegible except with magnification. I'm not sure, but I think such a reprint is probably also illegal.

Since the original is available at a reasonable price (in about 10 full-sized printings over the years), it's better to make sure that's what you order.

Here is a review, perhaps for a different modern on-demand print of Hoppe, but I think you can get the idea:

The original book it self is great, but this copy is terrible. I have to use a magnifying glass to read it. I have 20/20 vision with glasses. It is difficult to take it to the pool table and cannot read it without straining or using a magnifying glass. I would not have paid $5 for this if I had been able to see it first. This kind of stuff is why I do not like to purchase on line.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That link pointed to a "print on demand" book source in India. I have seen one such reprint that was about half-size which makes the text illegible except with magnification. I'm not sure, but I think such a reprint is probably also illegal.

Since the original is available at a reasonable price (in about 10 full-sized printings over the years), it's better to make sure that's what you order.

Here is a review, perhaps for a different modern on-demand print of Hoppe, but I think you can get the idea:

The original book it self is great, but this copy is terrible. I have to use a magnifying glass to read it. I have 20/20 vision with glasses. It is difficult to take it to the pool table and cannot read it without straining or using a magnifying glass. I would not have paid $5 for this if I had been able to see it first. This kind of stuff is why I do not like to purchase on line.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I've had the hardcover for years but was trying, unsuccessfully, to be helpful. Thanks for putting it right.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I didn't realize that. I've had the hardcover for years but was trying, unsuccessfully, to be helpful. Thanks for putting it right.
Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage helpfulness, but since I collect books, the rise of cheaply made and poorly done copies of classics is a hot button for me.

The best way I've found to look for old books is to go to http://used.addall.com/ and put in (for example) "Hoppe" as author and "Billiards" as the title. Addall will search about 30 sites including Amazon but not Ebay and report back with a list of available titles. Here is a direct link to that search:

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/RefineRare.fcgi?id=180311092716535918

The first listing is not BAISBP but rather "Thirty Years of Billiards" which is an autobiography of Hoppe published in 1925. It is only $6, since it is the Dover paperback reprint, but ships from England.

There are three copies of BAISBP available for under $10 (plus shipping).

You have to be a little careful with prices. A copy of Thirty Years in the paperback reprint is being offered at $1800 -- no, I did not forget a decimal point. $18 would be a reasonable price.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage helpfulness, but since I collect books, the rise of cheaply made and poorly done copies of classics is a hot button for me.

The best way I've found to look for old books is to go to http://used.addall.com/ and put in (for example) "Hoppe" as author and "Billiards" as the title. Addall will search about 30 sites including Amazon but not Ebay and report back with a list of available titles. Here is a direct link to that search:

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/RefineRare.fcgi?id=180311092716535918

The first listing is not BAISBP but rather "Thirty Years of Billiards" which is an autobiography of Hoppe published in 1925. It is only $6, since it is the Dover paperback reprint, but ships from England.

There are three copies of BAISBP available for under $10 (plus shipping).

You have to be a little careful with prices. A copy of Thirty Years in the paperback reprint is being offered at $1800 -- no, I did not forget a decimal point. $18 would be a reasonable price.

I didn't feel discouraged at all - I appreciated the heads up.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a "new" Daly's Billiard book - very small print but No diagrams - reviewed it as a ripoff ,notified my credit card co , got a refund.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I purchased a "new" Daly's Billiard book - very small print but No diagrams - reviewed it as a ripoff ,notified my credit card co , got a refund.
I have some extras of both the original and the Dover reprint if you are still looking.