Damn Kling Table

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you know a little about beautiful pool tables, you know that the " Kling " model, produced by Brunswick, ranks right up there with the best of them. You probably also know that the table was named after an awesome Chicago baseball player from back in the day named Johnny Kling.

And speaking of baseball - you might also know that the Chicago Cubs, while a very much loved team, hasn't won jack diddly squat in the way of World Titles in over 100 years now.

Side note: both the Cubs and White Sox are teams founded by a famous billiard champion in Chicago named Thomas Foley.

Anyway, getting back to Kling, he used to pitch for the Cubs. And he was damn good. So good that the Cubs won the world title in 1907, 1908 and 1910 with him pitching....

What happened in 1909 you might ask ??
Side note: 1909 happens to be the year my antique table was built.

Johnny Kling took time off to play billiards instead.
Granted, he did win a pocket billiard title in 1909 but still, that ninny cost us a world title, and as you can tell, we kinda need more of them, we haven't won another one since!

Ugh. Stupid Kling table.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
The Philadelphia Athletics won the World Series in 1910. The Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908. Interesting story though.

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catcher Kling

Hi,

Kling was a catcher, not a pitcher. And, yes, I have a 5x10 Kling to back that up.

As a catcher he had a great view of the double play wonders in his infield, immortalized in poem:

These are the saddest of possible words:
“Tinker to Evers to Chance”

Take care,
Nick

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know a little about beautiful pool tables, you know that the " Kling " model, produced by Brunswick, ranks right up there with the best of them. You probably also know that the table was named after an awesome Chicago baseball player from back in the day named Johnny Kling.

And speaking of baseball - you might also know that the Chicago Cubs, while a very much loved team, hasn't won jack diddly squat in the way of World Titles in over 100 years now.

Side note: both the Cubs and White Sox are teams founded by a famous billiard champion in Chicago named Thomas Foley.

Anyway, getting back to Kling, he used to pitch for the Cubs. And he was damn good. So good that the Cubs won the world title in 1907, 1908 and 1910 with him pitching....

What happened in 1909 you might ask ??
Side note: 1909 happens to be the year my antique table was built.

Johnny Kling took time off to play billiards instead.
Granted, he did win a pocket billiard title in 1909 but still, that ninny cost us a world title, and as you can tell, we kinda need more of them, we haven't won another one since!

Ugh. Stupid Kling table.

As mentioned, Kling, who - IIUC - was actually named Klein, was indeed a catcher.
His year off was due to a salary dispute. He was the uncle and mentor of Bennie Allen - the last of the American Snooker Champions.

Not to rub it in<much:)> their room in KC had 40(?) or so Kling tables - there is a pic
in the Brunswick 1924 Catalog.

Dale(once again wishing for a time machine)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Philadelphia Athletics won the World Series in 1910. The Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908. Interesting story though.

Youre right, it was the pennant they won in 1910.

Kling was a catcher, not a pitcher...

Yup, I don't know why I said pitcher lol

His year off was due to a salary dispute.

Yeah there's a couple of theories about that.
He was fined nonetheless and forced to play in 1910 for 1908 salary.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read 39 Kling tables delivered to the first purchaser, Kling and Allen Pool Room in Kansas City. THe nemed the table after Kling the ball player. Where did Klein come in?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play Golf (mostly) & Snooker on a 10 foot Kling all the time at Tulsa's Magoo's Pool room

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youre right, it was the pennant they won in 1910.

Yup, I don't know why I said pitcher lol

Yeah there's a couple of theories about that.
He was fined nonetheless and forced to play in 1910 for 1908 salary.

(Wellington)
hahaguy.jpg

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Oh, be nice, Cubs fans really don't know much about baseball ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As mentioned, Kling, He was the uncle and mentor of Bennie Allen - the last of the American Snooker Champions.

Dale(once again wishing for a time machine)

seems to be a lotta correcting going on in this thread....here's some more...
...Danny Jones won the American Snooker Championship twice in the middle 60s.

....'least that's what they called the tournament

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seems to be a lotta correcting going on in this thread....here's some more...
...Danny Jones won the American Snooker Championship twice in the middle 60s.

....'least that's what they called the tournament

Ok, to be anal enuff, last of the champs from the Brunswick backed tournaments,
when there were "real" championships instead of cobbled promotions.

1950 or 51 as I recall.

Dale

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kling Table with the Russian Walnut is the Bomb. I have a great rosewood Centennial, A Non Paraliel Novelty stored in a spare room.....but I want a Kling! I may get another house to accomodate all three. It is a sickness. I love the looks of the Kling!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kling Table with the Russian Walnut is the Bomb. I have a great rosewood Centennial, A Non Paraliel Novelty stored in a spare room.....but I want a Kling! I may get another house to accomodate all three. It is a sickness. I love the looks of the Kling!

Send a posse out to locate George Ashby, one time 3 cushion star. He had a roomful of them at one time.

Brunswick listed them as "Circassian Walnut". The figure in that wood would dance as you looked at it.

Take this link at your own risk:) Not for the faint of heart.

http://www.bankshotantiques.com/table-bbc_kling-pr-w.html

Dale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Send a posse out to locate George Ashby, one time 3 cushion star. He had a roomful of them at one time.

Brunswick listed them as "Circassian Walnut". The figure in that wood would dance as you looked at it.

Dale

I love the mahogany Kling....:lovies:

When buying from this era, it's important to get an all-original...
...an old timer told me that the slates are custom fitted to each table...at the factory they
would put the slate on the frame and a marvelous machine (for those times) would grind
the slate to near perfection.
Perhaps Mr Bond could elaborate on that.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dale

Thanks Dale, this is the one! I want 6 legs. now I will not be able to sleep.:smile:

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kling Big Bertha

Darryl Smith and I did a Radio Show then podcast w Mr Bond where Darryl interviewed Don Brinks who owns one of the original Big Bertha Kling tables and is still located at Raytown Rec in KC. This table was able to be converted to 3 cushion or straight pool configurations and many a legend has played on it. After the pool room closed one of the owners kept it in his apartment until I believed it changed hands and became Dons. Great interview maybe Darryl will chime in as to where this interview is archived?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

I love the mahogany Kling....:lovies:

When buying from this era, it's important to get an all-original...
...an old timer told me that the slates are custom fitted to each table...at the factory they
would put the slate on the frame and a marvelous machine (for those times) would grind
the slate to near perfection.
Perhaps Mr Bond could elaborate on that.

-
Snooker tables got that treatment I believe.

Rob.M