George A. Phillips (aka "nygeorge" on AzB) has passed on

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

I don't come around to AZB anymore, but this is a special occasion.

I'm thinking about my good buddy, George A. Phillips, who passed away recently after a long bout with cancer. George was an artist pool/billiards cue-maker, and a great one pocket player. He never failed to be there for me through thick and thin, and his wry humor never failed to bring a smile to my face.

I first met George at Boston Billiards (the now-defunct Danbury branch), where I joined their leagues and became one of their league administrators. George did all the cue repair for Boston Billiards, and was an active player in their leagues. Several folks there had cues made by George, and they immediately caught my eye. While hiring George to do some cue work for me, we struck up a good friendship, that outlasted the Boston Billiards' Danbury branch itself. I have several cues and shafts made by George, including my main player made out of hickory wood, and they will always be prized possessions.

I will remember George for his artistry, his amazing ideas, his one pocket prowess, and most of all, his friendship.

The text of the obit is as follows:
http://legacy.com/obituaries/lohud/obituary.aspx?pid=181135317

George A. "Buddy" Phillips of Yorktown Heights, NY, President of Mitchell Hardware, died on August 19, 2016. He was 61. Mr. Phillips worked as the President of Mitchell Hardware in Yorktown Heights until his death. Mr. Phillips was born in 1955 in Fort Smith, Arkansas to George and Jeanette Phillips. He graduated from Lakeland High School in 1973. He earned a Bachelors degree in Oceanography from SUNY Stony Brook and pursued graduate studies in ocean geology at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA. Locally, he supported the Yorktown Grange Fair and he was a member of the Mid-Hudson Antique Machinery Club. Mr. Phillips will be remembered for his Love of Animals, being an Avid Pool Player, his expertise in making pool cues, a brew master of his own beer, and his loyalty and devotion to his business, family, and friends.

He is predeceased by his Father George E. Phillips. He is survived by Jeanette Phillips (Mother), Nancy Phillips (Sister), Wayne Crookston (Best Friend), Agnes Medige (Sister-in-law), Patricia Wagner (Aunt), and many Cousins.

Family will receive friends on Monday, 8/22, from 2-4 & 7-9pm at Clark Funeral Home in Yorktown Heights. The Funeral Service is Tuesday, August 8/23 at 10am, at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Mohegan Lake. The Interment will follow at Hillside Cemetery in Cortlandt Manor, NY.
Published in the The Journal News on Aug. 21, 2016

Thinking of you, my buddy!
Sean F. Leinen
https://facebook.com/sean.leinen

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Damn...

Sean,

Thanks for posting this. This hits me even though I never met George. When I was looking for a repair lathe on AzB he reached out to me via email and offered his help, insights and advice - all during a time when he had much bigger things to worry about than a stranger on the internet.

We talked back and forth on the phone and kept trying to schedule a time for me to meet up and play some games with him and you at Jack and Jills and visit his workshop.

Life is busy, and I never was able to make it out - but the truth is I probably could have several times and chose not to for one reason or another; work, life, laziness...

I wish I would have made a different choice one of those times - I'm glad he will be remembered...

b

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean,

Thanks for posting this. This hits me even though I never met George. When I was looking for a repair lathe on AzB he reached out to me via email and offered his help, insights and advice - all during a time when he had much bigger things to worry about than a stranger on the internet.

We talked back and forth on the phone and kept trying to schedule a time for me to meet up and play some games with him and you at Jack and Jills and visit his workshop.

Life is busy, and I never was able to make it out - but the truth is I probably could have several times and chose not to for one reason or another; work, life, laziness...

I wish I would have made a different choice one of those times - I'm glad he will be remembered...

b

B:

We all could have made different choices, and to be honest, I'm kicking myself, because the last time I spoke to George, I should've asked for contact information of one of his next of kin. I didn't even know George had passed until it (as well as the funeral service) had already happened. And I know he would NEVER have wanted this to happen, which makes me think he might've been incapacitated shortly after we last spoke.

My wife, and friends of mine that knew George are telling me to stop kicking myself, but that's really easy to say and not easy to do.

It reminds me to never get complacent about one's friends -- especially good ones.

Anyway, you have my contact information (PM sent), so let's get together soon, and maybe we continue the tradition that George and I had of meeting at Jack N Jills on a weekly basis and crossing swords (in a friendly pool way, of course).

-Sean